Resource icon

TUTORIAL Installing CentOS 6.5

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
wardmundy submitted a new resource:

Installing CentOS - Step-by-step installation instructions for CentOS Minimal Install

Here is a step-by-step tutorial for installation of CentOS 6.5 from the CentOS Minimal Install ISO. This gets you the standard PIAF partitions rather than LVM partitions which are difficult to backup and restore.

After booting from the ISO...

1. Skip the Media Test unless you have new hardware
2. Click Next when the CentOS graphical logo appears
3. Pick your Language + Next
4. Pick your Keyboard + Next
5. Type Devices: Basic Storage + Next
6. Storage Device Warning: Yes, Discard Any Data +...

Read more about this resource...

ariban

Reaction score
hi ward,
i am having a problem with the install, by step 7 you say click configure network but that button is greyed out and can not be pushed.
what do i do?
also the way you say to make the partitions (assuming those are the only partitions and no others should be there) when i reboot the computer it goes stright into the bios menu.

any advice on these 2 issues i am having?

thank you
ben

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
If there are LVM partitions simple delete them and then create the non LVM variants as Ward has outline.

Network button greyed out GENERALLY means that centos does not recognize the NIC card (Could be millions of other things). If your card is not recognized then the *FUN* begins and you get to locate, install, compile your very own Centos NIC driver! (Have fun --- Not) Sometimes works sometimes does not. You could try to complete the installation without have network connectivity HOWEVER you will NOT be able to install PIAF AT ALL until your NIC is recognized. Sorry..... Do some research and see what you can find out about your hardware and what the NIC card is.

Tom

ariban

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
yes i finally figured that out but because its so minimal this centos install (so if you download the older version with centos 6.4 its alot easier and more is compiled in the initial install) i was not able to do many functions and many kernels and things were missing for the NIC driver.
Basically if someone else encounters this problem i finally got it working after 3 days of searching the internet with the following:
i downloaded the repo file of ALX driver (this was the only one that worked, all others didnt work as it did was getting errors when i wanted to MAKE INSTALL) of course i downloaded it on anotehr computer with internet and copied it to the machine and installed rpm -Uvh alx.rpm
then i typed in ifconfig eth0 up and then dhclient eth0 and it gets an ip address
then follow this:
chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig network on

service NetworkManager stop
service network start

To enable DHCP on the interface, run system-config-network, edit the appropriate device, save, and restart the network service. Alternately, you can edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and add
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

and now it works and i was able to install the PIAF and its working perfectly!!

one more thing i encountered, in the instructions here above, ward writes that for the partitions 2 of them you need to select make primary partition, however in the nerdvittle write up he does not write this, if you do not select this you might have the same problem that i had where the computer will NOT start into piaf and it simply went straight into my bios setup.

also thanks g-d that google voice still works there with motif module, even though google is changing voice to hangouts etc...

hope this helps someone else!

ward and tom thanks for the help with everything! i love this system more and more and i cant believe i am still using windows for my day to day computer!! linux is so hard but so cool!!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
ariban: Thanks for your kind words. Our distro ALWAYS has been about pioneering in the open source space. Many also use it in commercial settings, but that really was never our niche. Hence the reason for our (continuing) no-profit organization. Glad you got things working!

p.s. Tutorial regarding drives does say... check: Force Primary Partition

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just an FYI: You need not use the CentOS minimal install if you need additional features or drivers

ariban

Reaction score
yes in fact that is what i ended doing, using the older 6.4 version which had alot more packed in it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.