Install without requiring live download of asterisk

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
After the iso disc installs, I see that the computer reboots and connects to the internet for asterisk and freepbx download and install.

Is there a way to have all of this one one (or two) cd's so we do not have to depend on this download step?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The problem with 'the old way of doing things,' the one to which you have alluded, is that it forced frequent changes in the ISO. We don't want to do that. There certainly have been issues with the pbxinaflash.net download site that we find unacceptable. If it persists after the crunch, we will come up with a more reliable download site or mirrored download sites for the scripts. We also are considering using Digium's site directly for the Asterisk source. That would greatly reduce the size of the current pbx_load file that gets downloaded after the initial CentOS 5 install.

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That certainly makes sense. I would be nice to be internet dependent with the installs and have physical media - perhaps downloading asterisk and freepbx onto a cdrom and using that for part two of the installation? Certainly not a large issue, but would be a nice option for extra freedom.

BassKozz

Reaction score
The problem with 'the old way of doing things,' the one to which you have alluded, is that it forced frequent changes in the ISO. We don't want to do that.

Does this mean that this ISO release will be the one and only?
Meaning further upgrades to PBX-in-a-flash, will be automated because the updates will be downloaded upon install?
If so, thats pretty neat, or dare I say AWESOME. :p

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

The ISO will remain current for a long time.

The only reason for replacing the ISO would be where we wanted to add more RPMS for the base install, to change the look and feel of the ISO install, where we wanted to use a later kernel, or when yum updates get so huge, that we would want to pass them on up-dated.

Having said that, there are always questions like - "will this install on <insert your fave linux distro here>"

So if anyone has a favourite Linux OS, and wants to have a go...

You would need to start with a server install, using Apache2, MySQL5, PHP5, and some development tools. The install script would need to be modified to put things in locations appropriate to your OS, then it should just work! The script compiles from source, rather from RPMs

Yours

JJoe

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
It's good and bad I believe. I still think the ability to install completely with physical media is a better approach for the user. Since the script is open source, the individual could always change the script to look for asterisk and freepbx on a cd instead of going online.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.