FYI Install PIAF on CentOS Existing Installation

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I would wholeheartedly support the approach of using a key to login to a system, rather than password.

1. It's much more secure than a password, there is simply no password to hack.

2. You don't have to remember passwords, and there is no chance of mistyping.

However, if you look in Webmin, SSH Server, there are options in there to simply not accept the password to log in, and use private key only.

If when you make alterations here, you leave a putty screen open to the server, and test with a second screen before closing the first, you can make sure you don't lock yourself.

Joe

PS - For those who don't know about keys, you can use puttygen (from the same place you got putty) to create your public / private key, just paste the contents of your public key in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

RXWatcher

Reaction score
I just did this like 2 nights ago..I love never having to enter the user/password and I actually opened up SSH access to the internet(with password logins disabled of course).

I set up FreeNX on the box too(leaving the service off until I need it) for the rare occasion I want to start it and use a GUI. Its faster than running an X server on my PC in my opinion.

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
Go one step farther and use pageant (with putty on a PC) or ssh-agent on a UNIX box to store your keys while you're online and you only have to enter them once. The ssh connection will look for a key manager, and if there is one, use the keys stored there, if applicable.

I can type 120+ wpm, but anytime I can save myself from typing anything in the first place, it's a win-win.

drewament

Reaction score
This did not work for me. i've been locked out of my instance many times because of this little issue.

Most likely you need to disable SELinux. Can the "techies" on here comment on if this will be a problem.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

You simply cannot run Selinux and FreePBX together, so Selinux must be disabled before you start the install.

Joe

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
SELinux is great on a machine that will have users (even if they're just system administrators) on it, doing things. It will help protect against accidental or intentional modifications to systems that are integral to the functionality and availability of the system.

On a server class machine that is mostly "set it and forget it," especially one that potentially operates with low level driver interaction like Zap/DAHDI and Asterisk, SELinux is a hinderance.

Our Asterisk installation kickstart file incldues an "selinux --disabled" line for just this purpose - kill the thing during install so we don't forget to later.

drewament

Reaction score
Aws-ec2

BTW - I dont know why...but I have never had any luck with a "purple" install on AWS-EC2, it throws a bunch of errors during install. I have always used the "bronze".

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
I just found my main website server got acquired by someone else and their billing prevents me from staying.

That said, I am now in process of looking for a new VPS host, except this time I am going to attempt to just use webmin/virtualmin/usermin instead of CPanel.

Next, could someone lay out the steps to install PiaF-Purple (even though I still cannot get the GVoice to work right) and the IncrediblePBX by Mr Ward installed on the soon-to-be-existing CentOS?

The place I am considering seems to have the images for OpenVZ for Trixbox and *Now but not PiaF.

a 1,2,3,etc would be helpful now as I am sure since this thread began things have changed.

Thanks a heap for all the hard work.

(after installing how to transfer all from one PBX to the new one would be helpful too (I really don't want to have to do it manually) I also have Cepstral so I do not want to loose my key for my server there either.

Thank You all

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I just found my main website server got acquired by someone else and their billing prevents me from staying.

That said, I am now in process of looking for a new VPS host, except this time I am going to attempt to just use webmin/virtualmin/usermin instead of CPanel.

Next, could someone lay out the steps to install PiaF-Purple (even though I still cannot get the GVoice to work right) and the IncrediblePBX by Mr Ward installed on the soon-to-be-existing CentOS?

The place I am considering seems to have the images for OpenVZ for Trixbox and *Now but not PiaF.

a 1,2,3,etc would be helpful now as I am sure since this thread began things have changed.

Thanks a heap for all the hard work.

(after installing how to transfer all from one PBX to the new one would be helpful too (I really don't want to have to do it manually) I also have Cepstral so I do not want to loose my key for my server there either.

Thank You all

You should be able to follow Joe Roper's set of great instructions that are in the Add On forum. It is color-independent IIRC. (Oh wait..I'm in that thread. FACEPALM.)
I just ran this script about a week ago and it worked fine as shown here. BUT it does not support purple yet. I just went back to the script, and Purple is not an option in the PIAFDL menu. Hmm...

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
purple has been around for a while in piafdl. You must be using a really old version.

Tom

mainenotarynet

Reaction score
Got new server online and the admin Portal is vePortal in which directory (or should I just run from /root under PuTTY?

I got version 1.04 from the Downloads page, is this the Latest or is there a newer one (yes this is OpenVZ platform -- does this script still NOT work in OpenVZ?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
purple has been around for a while in piafdl. You must be using a really old version.

Tom
I just CopyPasted the commands on the first page of this thread, and PIAFDL didn't show Purple. This was all of like a week or two ago. I will try again.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

to install the latest version, the script does need to be updated - see the install Centos of Piaf script at https://github.com/jonathan-roper/Ballistic-PBX Lines 30 to 33 need updating. I'll get round to it soon.

It does not work out of the box for OpenVZ, but I have offered some instructions to allow the Piaf install script to work with OpenVZ, As a reminder, you can inspect the function funcasterisk() to see the method I use in the install Ubuntu Asterisk / FreePBX script which would allow PiaF to be installed natively on OpenVZ.

The associated Proxmox scripts are there as well for call conferencing and rolling up your own OpenVZ templates.

Joe

mainenotarynet

Reaction score
Still no Joy -- the vePortal has a CentOS 5.4-64bit template so I could try the OpenVZ-64bit template but loading the 64-bit OS the VPS won't start -- I am forced 32-bit CentOS under OpenVZ -- I am not a programmer and have no concept other than load script which threw warnings and errors and asterisk folders not created such as /var/log/asterisk/ where it puts the logs which have nowhere to go.

This may have been a bad idea -- I have one on RentPBX that works so why do I insist on breaking the wheel --- consolidation of bills I guess -- Pay one host not two -- Oh well I loose.

DragonHawk

Guru
Reaction score
I just installed a new PBX with Host Virtual (vr.org). Although they have a PiaF PV image, I decided to test my updated version of JRoper's script on a fully virtualized (HVM) CentOS image. I did not experience any issues, and as expected it correctly detected the full kernel and did not install the Xen version (needed for PV VMs but not for HVM VMs).

mainenotarynet and rossiv, give the newer version a try and let me know if you run into any issues with it. I have not tested it on OpenVZ, so any feedback on fixes for OpenVZ (if any are needed) would be greatly appreciated. You can find a how to on page 8 of this thread that includes the optional steps to install The Incredible PBX on Xen (should be very similar for OpenVZ as I designed the script to be smart and do everything on it's own).

sircolin

Guru
Reaction score
Great work ;)
Just ran a test On Proxmox using Openvz Environment with centos 5.5 minimal_64

ntpd: unrecognized service
./install-piaf-v2.00.sh: line 195: /usr/sbin/ntpdate: No such file or directory
./install-piaf-v2.00.sh: line 197: ntpdate: command not found
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
error reading information on service ntpd: No such file or directory
did you miss ntp on the yum install line ;)

I added the ntp and re run the script and all is well i installed bronze until and then
<<>> Installing Freepbx
Starting asterisk now. Watch to see it starts
Starting asterisk: Cannot find specified TTY (9)
[FAILED]
chown: cannot access `/dev/tty9': No such file or directory
Permissions OK

STARTING ASTERISK
Cannot find specified TTY (9)
safe_asterisk: no process killed
mpg123: no process killed
tail /var/log/asterisk/full
tail: cannot open `/var/log/asterisk/full' for reading: No such file or directory
Col

DragonHawk

Guru
Reaction score
Great work ;)
Just ran a test On Proxmox using Openvz Environment with centos 5.5 minimal_64

Quote:
./install-piaf-v2.00.sh: line 195: /usr/sbin/ntpdate: No such file or directory
./install-piaf-v2.00.sh: line 197: ntpdate: command not found
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
error reading information on service ntpd: No such file or directory

did you miss ntp on the yum install line ;)

Nope, it is part of both the i386 and x86_64 yum lines. (ntp.x86_64 and ntp.i386 respectively)
You can safely ignore the hardware clock message as in general most VMs can't access a hardware clock.

As for the tty9 issue, I think that is related the the console method used for the virtualization. If you find the solution, please let me know so I can add whatever is needed to the script. The last error I believe is related to the tty9 one. it looks like asterisk failed to install. Try a purple install and see if it works as asterisk 1.4 and 1.6 are being depreciated very shortly.

Thanks.

sircolin

Guru
Reaction score
Nope, it is part of both the i386 and x86_64 yum lines. (ntp.x86_64 and ntp.i386 respectively)
Not sure what went wrong there but i did
yum -y install ntp
and that resolved it.

As for the tty9 issue, I think that is related the the console method used for the virtualization. If you find the solution, please let me know
Well
mknod /dev/tty9 c 4 9
worked for v1.4 But it's fails with v1.6

DragonHawk

Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what went wrong there but i did
and that resolved it.

Well worked for v1.4 But it's fails with v1.6

OK, give me a little while. I need to setup an OpenVZ server to test this. Thanks Sircolin.

pok

Reaction score
hi there.. first of all, thank you so much for taking to time to write an install script to help out linux newbies like myself.. I tried your script on a linode vps (xen).. everything seems fine til the "piafdl" step... it just gives me a prompt right after. The catalog was already installed (as suggested in a previous post) .. what could this be? Its running on CentOS 5.6 32bit.. thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.