Install PIAF from USB Flash Drive

dbayer

Reaction score
RAID install

Hello Bobby,

I saw Ward's post last night, so I burned a disc and used a portable external DVD Drive to install Piaf.

By the time I read your post, I had already got it installed. I feel bad, considering how much effort you put into your reply. If I have to do a reinstall I will take the time to make the changes your suggested and do a flash drive install.

I'm a Linux newbie, but I have Windows administration and programming experience, so you're changes seem easy enough to implement.

Thanks,
Daniel

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
Hello Bobby,

I saw Ward's post last night, so I burned a disc and used a portable external DVD Drive to install Piaf.

Thanks,
Daniel

No problem. The answer may be helpful to someone else.

Bobby

freaky al

Reaction score
Installed new PIAF2 from Flash drive on EEE PC

Greets to all the forum members and the PIAF team. You guys do great work. :rockonb:

HUGE thanks to bmore and the others for all the previous work. It is easy when one stands on the shoulders of giants.
biggrin.gif

After a couple agonizing days (where I learned a lot about kickstart) I managed to get PIAF2 to install from a flash drive on an Asus EEE PC. I am posting the first part of the kickstart file here for anyone who might find it useful. I provisioned all the options so that it is a completely automated/unattended install.

For some reason CentOS 6 kept detecting the SATA drive as sdc and the flash drive as sdb. So I manually specified the drives for partitioning since I couldn't get the drive detection script to work and didn't use it at the bottom of the ks.cfg file.

From the error messages I got it seems that method has been depricated and replaced by repo. Which meant I had to remove references to it from syslinux.cfg and add a repo line to ks.cfg. I also used the following ks statement in syslinux.cfg ... ks=hd:sdb1:ks.cfg.

In the CentOS folder on the flash drive I had the iso image, the images and repodata directories, as well as the .discinfo and .treeinfo files from within the iso. I also put the RPM-GPG* files in there as well but that might not have been necessary.

install
lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone <timezone>
rootpw <password>
network --bootproto=static --ip=<ip> --netmask=<mask> --gateway=<gw_ip> --nameserver=<dns_ip> --device=eth0 --hostname=<hostname> --onboot=on
firewall --enabled --port=22:tcp
auth --enableshadow --enablemd5
selinux --disabled
harddrive --partition=sdb1 --dir=/CentOS
bootloader --append="crashkernel=auto" --location=mbr --driveorder=sdc
repo --name=piaf --baseurl=file:///mnt/isodir/CentOS
logging --level=info
zerombr
clearpart --drives=sdc --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondrive=sdc
part / --fstype ext3 --size=1024 --grow --ondrive=sdc
part swap --size=256 --grow --maxsize=768 --ondrive=sdc
text
skipx
reboot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.