Install PIAF from USB Flash Drive

wheaties82

Reaction score
bmore thanks for you reply. I will try that later tonight once 'Santa' has delivered his payload. :wink5:

I have the correct NIC module to install into the base CentOS install once it completes -- I re-initialize the PIAF payload download once the NIC module has installed.

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
I have the correct NIC module to install into the base CentOS install once it completes -- I re-initialize the PIAF payload download once the NIC module has installed.

Let me know if works.

Bobby

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
The Quick USB install method

Required: USB Flash drive (note: any type of USB drive will work). Drive needs to be formatted as Fat 32 and have at least 700 Mb free. Any USB drive 1 GB or larger will work.
  1. Download and save the latest Pbx in a Flash FlashDrive installer (1.7.5.5.5)
  2. Download Unetbootin
  3. Insert USB Flash drive
  4. Run Unetbootin
    1. Select Diskimage
    2. Browse to iso image saved in 1 above
    3. Select correct USB drive
    4. Click OK
    5. When finished, Exit (Do Not Reboot)
  5. The drive is done.
Boot the machine you are installing to:
  1. Method 1:
    1. Interrupt boot to choose Boot device USB. The key to press is displayed briefly during boot. On an Acer Aspire Revo, it is F12.
  2. Method 2:
    1. Alternatively, in the bios set the USB drive as first boot device. If you use this method be sure to remove the flash drive after the first part is complete (when the machine reboots).
Notes: On some installs, the process may pause and ask for the location of the installation files. If it does:
  1. Select the last listed drive of type sd, such as sda, sdc etc. If it is still unable to locate the files, choose another drive. If this does not work, post a question listing your system configuration.
  2. Leave the directory as is (CentOS)
Notes:
The Kickstart files which determine which packages are installed are downloaded from the internet. This will not work if you need to manually install network drivers. The following modification to the Flash drive is required:
  1. In the root of the flash drive, edit syslinux.cfg
  2. # at the start of a line comments the line. Near the top remove the comment from the line. Add the comment to the similar line next to it. This allows the kickstart file to be loaded from the flash drive. It assumes the flash drive is sdb, it is in most cases. If it is not it would need to be changed.
  3. After Centos is installed and reboots, drop to the command line and install the network drivers then restart.

wheaties82

Reaction score
@bmore - thanks for all of your help -- editing the default options line did the trick and the installation completed successfully!

Merry Christmas!
:party:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Whadaya Think??

piaf-flashdrive.gif

deano

Reaction score
Well, I have done the setup and it won't get past the install function.

I have an Intel Atom 330 board. It stops and asks for the CDROM image location. can't find it at /dev/sda//centos

I tried loading other images, but no luck. I am using the iso from the 22nd.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

memory stick is a 4gb Lexar.
160gb sata drive (previous pbiaf install)
2 gb
Intel Atom 330 board.

thanks

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
Well, I have done the setup and it won't get past the install function.
I have an Intel Atom 330 board. It stops and asks for the CDROM image location. can't find it at /dev/sda//centos
I tried loading other images, but no luck. I am using the iso from the 22nd.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

memory stick is a 4gb Lexar, 160gb sata drive (previous pbiaf install), 2 gb Intel Atom 330 board.

With a SATA drive, the usb drive is most likely sdb. When it prompts to change the location to sdb. When it prompts, what are the list of drives shown? sda, sdb?

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
If the installation pauses and asks for the location of the install files: See the Notes here on how to proceed and the explanation of why it does this here. It may pause depending on your system configuration.

deano

Reaction score
i have updated the files on the root of the stick with the newest posted ones from the 24th.

I get a list if I press F2 that shows sda and sdb. if I select sdb i get a error message

"Failed to read directory /tmp/hdimage//CentOS: No such file or directory.

if i press enter, it lists the existing disk config...

/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

if i press F2 it gives me sda and sdb

selecting sdb gives "Insert your driver disk into /dev/sdb and press "OK" to continue.

I press Ok and get

Driver disk is invalid for this release of CentOS.

so, still no go.

seems the driver doesn't work.

System is:

Intel Atom D945GCLF2D
2 GB memory
160 GB Data Drive
Sangoma B600D
Lexar 4gb memory stick

Thanks for the info.

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
... shows sda and sdb. if I select sdb i get a error message
"Failed to read directory /tmp/hdimage//CentOS: No such file or directory.
if i press enter, it lists the existing disk config...

/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

if i press F2 it gives me sda and sdb
selecting sdb gives "Insert your driver disk into /dev/sdb and press "OK" to continue.
I press Ok and get
Driver disk is invalid for this release of CentOS.
so, still no go.
seems the driver doesn't work.

System is:

Intel Atom D945GCLF2D, 2 GB memory, 160 GB Data Drive
Sangoma B600D, Lexar 4gb memory stick

Check the Pbx in a flash iso in the /CentOS directory on the Flash drive. This message indicates the installer is unable to find, read and or mount the iso. My guess is that the iso is corrupt or the flash drive needs a file system check, or the downloaded 1.7.5.5.5 iso was bad... Or Unetbootin did not like your flash drive.

Your setup should work without issues... Did you need to install a driver in a prior install?

Are you selecting the Default install (1st one) option at the blue screen?

Bobby

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
bmore

Thanks for all the great work on this installation tool it will make installs so much easer.
I downloaded the new iso and my previous issues with my test box using IDE drives and hanging at GRUB are gone and install completed as normal.

Thanks again

Gary

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
bmore
I downloaded the new iso and my previous issues with my test box using IDE drives and hanging at GRUB are gone and install completed as normal. Thanks again

Gary,

Thanks for letting me know. I can only test on my systems and with virtual machines so the feedback is very helpful.

Bobby

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Reinstalling on the EEEBox that I mentioned earlier and it's not booting from the flash. Tried on a Memorex DataTraveler 4GB, LG 2GB, and a generic one. The box refuses to boot from any of them. The LEDs show like it wants to load them, but it quits and loads up like the normal startup. The bios of the EEE is strange - you choose the USB's "emulation mode" either "auto" "floppy" "cdrom" or "force fdd". I have tried auto and CDRom. None have worked on any of the drives.
What should I try next?

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
The LEDs show like it wants to load them, but it quits and loads up like the normal startup. The bios of the EEE is strange - you choose the USB's "emulation mode" either "auto" "floppy" "cdrom" or "force fdd". I have tried auto and CDRom. None have worked on any of the drives.
What should I try next?

Ross,
Your EEE bios does not treat the flash drive like a hard drive. The default image that UNetbootin creates is a hard drive boot image. You would need to create a flash drive with a Floppy boot image and set the bios into floppy emulation mode.

Edit: It does not appear that you can boot linux from the usb drive emulating a floppy. if the bios cannot detect the usb drive as a hard drive I think it can only do a DOS type boot as a floppy. Some older bios are like this.

Bobby

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I set it into Floppy mode but that didn't work either. How would I make the floppy boot image?
Edit: Ok. I will see if there is a BIOS update.
I got it!
I had to set the flash drive in "Force FDD mode"! :D
And all is swimming!
What's up with all the code in the BG? Is that intentional?

bmore

Guru
Reaction score
What's up with all the code in the BG? Is that intentional?

Happy to know it works.

Code in the BG? Does that mean in the background? An earlier version had some code on the screen behind the progress bar (though it still worked) but the latest version should have fixed it.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Still get the background stuff on our 1.2.0 installs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.