TIPS Install OpenVPN on IncrediblePBX 13-13

Kurt Mullen

Reaction score
Linux 2.6.32-754.6.3.el6.x86_64 x86_64
LSB Version: :base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: Scientific
Description: Scientific Linux release 6.9 (Carbon)
Release: 6.9
Codename: Carbon

I can't find a suitable (current) installation guideline to install OpenVPN server on this server. I have two remote locations that need to OpenVPN back to office and haven't been able to setup OpenVPN. After 6 tries I am begging for help from the community.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Looking at that tread (started in Dec 2010) and knowing that Incredible adds NeoRouter, why are we still using neorouter -- why not just easy OpenVPN in its place?

Winbloze 10 won't natively connect to Neorouter but wants an OpenVPN , Like to try that. My NetGear will take Open VPN also.

Can a NeoRouter Client connect to OpenVPN Server, that would make it easier as NeoRouter connect script is in the /root/ of my PBX box.

This would also make it easier for remote stations -- you put in the VPN info in the SIP phone or soft phone or even a smartphone app (if it can handle it).

So many things to try, so little brain do do it with (speaking of myself of course :smile5: )

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Different strokes. OpenVPN takes hours and hours to properly configure. NeoRouter takes minutes. Doesn't work in all situations, but where it works, it's far easier to get up and running.

Edit: I've seen the light.

Last edited:

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Different strokes. OpenVPN takes hours and hours to properly configure. NeoRouter takes minutes. Doesn't work in all situations, but where it works, it's far easier to get up and running.
A bit of an exaggeration.

Part of the problem with OpenVPN (along with most linux tools) is googling is overload and gives too many hits to sort through, many of which are outdated or not on point for a particular need.

With many phones including an OpenVPN client now, it wouldn't be a bad addition to the tool bag.

Kurt Mullen

Reaction score
A bit of an exaggeration.

Part of the problem with OpenVPN (along with most linux tools) is googling is overload and gives too many hits to sort through, many of which are outdated or not on point for a particular need.

With many phones including an OpenVPN client now, it wouldn't be a bad addition to the tool bag.

I agree. I have spent over 6 hours just trying to get a successful install. The problem seems to be that there isn't a version written for ScientificLinux

Kurt Mullen

Reaction score
Well I seem to have it installed Openvpn install scripts from github. But the service won't start.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@dicko: My hesitation with WireGuard was this: "WireGuard comes in two parts: the tools, which will allow us to manage the peers and interfaces, and the Linux kernel module." Sounds like that would rule out using this VPN on OpenVZ platforms since you can't modify the kernel. That would be a deal-breaker for us.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
@dicko: My hesitation with WireGuard was this: "WireGuard comes in two parts: the tools, which will allow us to manage the peers and interfaces, and the Linux kernel module." Sounds like that would rule out using this VPN on OpenVZ platforms since you can't modify the kernel. That would be a deal-breaker for us.

Yes I guess that might be a problem, not a fan of OpenVZ myself.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I am using Grandstream endpoints. They have an OpenVPN configuration in the menu. Is Wireguard compatible ?

They could co-exist but you probably should choose one or the other.

KNERD

Reaction score

I would have to disagree with you on that. I made me a step by step guide to set it up. Only takes me about 10 minutes. If I made a script to do the install (which I should have already done long ago), then it would be only seconds, and it works 100% of the time.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
@KNERD

I basically agree - OpenVPN can be setup in minutes - once you know what you are doing.

Actually the DO tutorial is outdated and doesn't work for the current CentOS 6.10 repos. Some file paths are different, easy-rsa needs to be installed separately and references easy-rsa 2.0, but yum install gives us 3.0. Most of the other google hits for "openvpn centos 6" had similar issues.

None of it is hard to overcome once you've done it a time or two, but could chase away a noob.

I haven't tested it yet, but the script @dicko linked looks pretty good. Unfortunately it doesn't do CentOS/SL 6. Still, it would be a great starting point if someone wanted to modify for IPBX usage. Some things should probably be changed if the purpose is only for remote phone access/management. I see no need for nat or enabling forwarding for such use.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Would love to see a setup script from someone that currently has it working. :chef:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.