TIPS IncrediblePBX 13 & HylaFax & AvantFax

SyrGeek315

Reaction score
I couldn't find anywhere else to ask these, I saw somewhere else to just ask them here. So if they are in fact in the wrong place, please feel free to move it there. If I am wrong at any point in this post, please forgive me, I am new to Fax over VoIP.

I have a fresh install of IncrediblePBX 13, using a CentOS 6 Minimal Installation. Everything works great out of the box, but I'm trying to take the 4 default HylaFax modems and dedicate each one to a specific DID. Everytime I've tried to route a DID to only one of the modems, Asterisk just gives me a busy signal, even though I've hard coded the dial plan in the configuration.

For example, I am trying to set up a custom destination, in this case 3291 (FAX1) to route to ttyIAX0, 3292 (FAX2) to route to ttyIAX1, and so on, so that I could route the inbound routes for these dedicated faxes.

Is there a documented way to dedicate each ttyIAX modem to only one DID, or are all 4 of the defaults available to all groups/categories. If they're available to everyone, is there an easy way to create a new one and specify the answering DID?

If I need to spell it out further (just in case), this is what I'm trying to do:

Incoming DID: 8005551212
Receiving Modem: ttyIAX0
Email Group: [email protected]
Internal Extension: 3291

Incoming DID: 8005551213
Receiving Modem: ttyIAX1
Internal Extension: 3292

Incoming DID: 8005551214
Receiving Modem: ttyIAX2
Internal Extension: 3293

Incoming DID: 8005551215
Receiving Modem: ttyIAX3
Internal Extension: 3294

I've been working on this for weeks with absolutely no joy. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kdthomas

Reaction score
What is the purpose of routing it to a specific modem? Why not just use them in a pool.

SyrGeek315

Reaction score
Routing is to prevent any one group from seeing another's faxes. In AvantFax, you can specify the modems available to a specific group or user. It's more of an organizational thing than a privacy thing, but I'm looking to make it so that if a user from Group 1 logs in, they're only seeing faxes that were received by ttyIAX0 for Group 1, instead of seeing all of the faxes sent to the 3 other modems. Each modem needs to have specific things sent to it. The PBX will have 4 dedicated fax lines, each serving a different group of people for different purposes.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Routing is to prevent any one group from seeing another's faxes. In AvantFax, you can specify the modems available to a specific group or user. It's more of an organizational thing than a privacy thing, but I'm looking to make it so that if a user from Group 1 logs in, they're only seeing faxes that were received by ttyIAX0 for Group 1, instead of seeing all of the faxes sent to the 3 other modems. Each modem needs to have specific things sent to it. The PBX will have 4 dedicated fax lines, each serving a different group of people for different purposes.

SyrGreek,

I'm on an earlier version of PIAF, but examining the same problem. I'm assuming you have AvantFax installed on the machine. In Avantfax, you are supposed to be able to route by DID, and there is a how-to on this site (see:https://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/avantfax-did-routing.23279/).

This appears to only work with 3.3.5 - I'm running 3.3.3 and the directions don't work. If you have 3.3.5, please try these directions and see if they work for you. The process allows all 'modems' to receive faxes and ships the email based on the DID dialed (the recipient # at your location).

Let me know how it works out.

SyrGeek315

Reaction score
Andy,

Thanks for your post, and my apologies for the delay. For some reason I never got a notification of your reply. I will give this a look and report back with either success or failure.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I can't get it to work in 3.3.5 either. When I set it up, it won't send an email to anyone (even though emails were working prior to DID-specific routing).

SyrGeek315

Reaction score
My apologies for the extreme delay in my reply. I was trying to figure out another way to get this done which ultimately ended in failure. The only other alternative would be to assign SIP extensions to physical fax machines around the building using ATA adapters, but I really do not want to do that as using this setup would provide so much for of a benefit as a copy would be automatically emailed to each group upon receipt. It's a shame no one else is trying to get this working. I think this would be something a lot of folks would want. Especially given the possibilities that it can open up.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Greek,

I couldn't get AvantFax to work with routing. What I did instead was create an inbound route for each DID.
In the Inbound route I set fax detect to yes; Sip detection method, Detect time to 10 and Destination to 'Fax Recipient'. with an extension created just for faxes (no email, no phone, etc.)
In the extension, I have faxes ticked; pdf selected and the email address for that DID.

Remember to use 'Fax Recipient', no 'Extension' in the Trunk.

Seems to be working perfectly.

Additionally, you can set up an entry in the aliases file (google it) and have the fax get sent to multiple people in the group (or the whole group).

Andrew

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Greek,

I couldn't get AvantFax to work with routing. What I did instead was create an inbound route for each DID.
In the Inbound route I set fax detect to yes; Sip detection method, Detect time to 10 and Destination to 'Fax Recipient'. with an extension created just for faxes (no email, no phone, etc.)
In the extension, I have faxes ticked; pdf selected and the email address for that DID.

Remember to use 'Fax Recipient', no 'Extension' in the Trunk.

Seems to be working perfectly.

Additionally, you can set up an entry in the aliases file (google it) and have the fax get sent to multiple people in the group (or the whole group).

Andrew

Andrew, If you have a dedicated DID to the fax, then you don't need SIP Detection - you know it is going to the fax. So instead, just send it directly to "Fax Recipient". If you want it to go to multiple folks, in the email address, just use a comma between addresses.

Fax Email: [email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

Easy Peasy

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Krzykat,

I have a DID I'm using as a dedicated fax #. There is no physical fax machine. The PBX still 'eats' the fax and sends out a .pdf file.
I've been using Avantfax as the destination, but I've now added a second 'incoming fax #' to the system to support a friend. Avantfax *should* allow me to route each fax based on incoming DID, but I can't make it work.
By sending the second DID to a fax destination, he gets his and I get mine.

Andrew

SyrGeek315

Reaction score
That still does not resolve the original post, which is to route them to each modem independently based on the DID that was dialed. Is there any way to do that or should I just give up hope...

It's been almost a month and a half now that I've been trying to get this working. There has to be a way to do this.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Greek,

If I'm missing something, let me know.

It appears that you want an incoming fax on a DID to get converted to pdf and emailed to a select group, rather than to 'everyone'.
In my original link regarding the routing by DID, you *could* set aside only certain modems from the pool for each group, although i still don't know why you would.

*BUT* this isn't necessary. Your goal is to route the end product to the right person (I think).
If so, the modem it comes in on isn't the point. The pool is available to all the incoming DIDs that have a fax come in; if you have a DID which allows 4 channels and 4 incoming faxes come in on that DID at the same time, in theory each would get answered and sent to the right destination. I don't think you'd want a busy signal. Using your example, all 4 faxes to 8005551212 would get routed to [email protected]

If you route your DID via inbound route on the DID to a fax recipient, you'll only get the faxes that that person/group should get - regardless of which IAX 'modem' was used out of the pool. You're routing the DID, not the modem used.

My method works - using it all the time.

Again, if there is some business need to segregate by modem, help me understand it; otherwise, the solution above will work all day long.

Andrew

SyrGeek315

Reaction score
It appears that you want an incoming fax on a DID to get converted to pdf and emailed to a select group, rather than to 'everyone'.

My apologies, maybe I explained it in an odd fashion. I am indeed looking for each IAX modem to be independent of each other, and to only take one call at a time. Our goal is not only to have them emailed, but be archived in AvantFax as PDF's, which are then only viewable by groups assigned to that specific modem (in which they are received on). We do not need modems taking more than one fax at a time, as they will never receive more than one at a time. I'm also looking for a way to have these automatically printed upon receipt, but if they are available through the interface and from an attachment, printing them automatically isn't really needed, could be a waste of paper for things that don't exactly need to be printed, just retained.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
There is a way to add more modems - do a search here.
If you create an 'archive' email address, you could do the storage that way too. Have all the pdf's emailed to joe, bob, kathy and archive1 from the first DID, etc.

Otherwise, you'll need to get the Avantfax routing as mentioned in the earlier email. This should allow you to review the archive by user (or not). I've not gotten it to work. I just installed 13-13 on a new system; I'll let you know if I get it to work.

Andrew

RoboLord

Reaction score
I can't speak to how to set this up in your instance, I'll just offer a solution that would work well. I run my IncrediblePBX, along side a 3CX system, in a virtual environment via Proxmox. You could easily run 4 instances of Linux with IncrediblePBX in separate containers. A little overkill but would accomplish your objective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.