n390fc.png

1. Make sure you have the anniversary edition
  2. enable developers tools
  3. install Bash for windows

Last edited:

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
Hardly anything is up though which opens a huge security hole!

billsimon

Reaction score
I have not been following MS Windows progress in some time but this is interesting. It looks like an Ubuntu system running natively on top of Windows? I guess they have come a long way from Cygwin. Nonetheless, I agree with the skeptics here--why bother when you have so many better options? Even standard Ubuntu in a virtual box seems better for your test lab.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The salient quote from Brian's link:
Despite what may appear to be a Linux kernel running on Windows 10 systems, the Linux feature instead is a re-implementation of the Linux interface that a Linux kernel provides. It’s not running inside an isolated and protected Hyper-V hypervisor environment. It runs on the host and has access to files, directories and touches the network stack, Ionescu explained. More specifically, Ionescu describes the Linux support as a “wrapper layer located at the Windows kernel level. When you run things in the kernel, it means if there is a problem or a vulnerability you either crash the entire system or you can get code execution in the kernel,” he said.

billsimon

Reaction score
The salient quote from Brian's link:

Given this, I am amazed that Asterisk builds and runs in the environment. Interested in hearing more about the performance if anyone really digs into this. From time to time I am asked about Windows-based PBX options. This obviously opens the door quite a bit.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
FWIW: Incredible PBX runs fine under VirtualBox on almost any Windows machine without exposing Windows to malicious code from the Linux side of the house.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
There is enough BS in Ionescu's statements to discount most of what he says (at least as quoted).

Yes, WSL is a Linux ABI wrapper for the kernel, but applications still run in userland, just like "real" Linux. The walls between user and kernel still exist. WSL processes can't see Windows processes or vice versa. WSL runs under a window user context and the WSL "root" user can never exceed the win user's rights on the host system. In short, it is at least as well protected as running any native Windows app on Windows or Linux app on Linux, maybe more so.

Most Windows virus tools DO scan ELF files, not sure how real time scanning interacts inside pico processes, but considering it is ultimately the NT Kernel accessing the files, I would expect real time scanning to just work.

Not saying I would run a production asterisk server under it (but I never run Intel server on bare metal - ALWAYS virtual), but for development it would be great. Also could be great for situations where some processes are easier under Linux in a primarily Windows implementation.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.