FOOD FOR THOUGHT Incredible PBX Install

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I've had issues all day trying to get this to work.

I installed CentOS 7 then used the IPBX script and got to here.

http://imgur.com/a/Q7f2R

Shows asterisk and mysql are down but apache is up.

Not sure what went wrong but it's the second time I've installed it. I'm going to try the IPBX iso next.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
So I walked away from this for a while to have lunch and came back with the realization that I can ssh in to it from my desktop and get it to run that way. Which it did.

Its running the install now. The client is closed tomorrow for MLK day but I was hoping to have the phones updated before then.

I hate to say it but the freepbx installer from the other guys who shall not be named just works flat out. I don't like all the of the activation stuff at the end, but thats the price you pay I guess.

If this works and I can migrate all my extension, ivr and ring group data over without much hassle I'll stick with it but if not, I may have to just bow to their will and start using that. Sucks.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
If anyone cares. I got incredible pbx running on this system. I can not migrate my extensions and etc by doing a restore like I'd hoped. So for now I guess I'm going to have to put them all back in. No fun, but it is what it is.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I will say though, the bulk extensions module will do this pretty quickly. I just need to bite the bullet and do it. :) (aka stop whining) lol

Reaction score
I'll be interested in the postmortem on this... It shouldn't be this difficult for someone like you who is experienced. Perhaps there are too many points of failure under the hood. Maybe Ward will comment.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
@briankelly63 What are you doing for installs these days? Have you switched to 5 with 3cx? At this point, if I'm doing a full install, I might as well install the latest stable. I played with 3cx and wasnt excited by it. I like FreePBX.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The error routine you encountered was added to assure that menuconfig would always run without failing. It does require that you expand the install window following the initial reboot. Why do this? Because menuconfig will always self-configure only the correct modules based upon the install. The "other guys" never have to worry about this because they never compile anything as part of the install. I'm afraid it's the price you pay for the added flexibility of being able to adjust modules on the fly to meet your own requirements. It also future-proofs Asterisk so that new releases that "improve things" will still compile successfully. And, of course, it's never a problem with Wazo or 3CX for the same reason as the "other guys."

Last edited:

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
@wardmundy The process involving the window doesn't bother or concern me. It's that there is no good way to move forward with FreePBX, that I can tell, that doesn't involve switching to WAZO or XIVO. I have one client on the FreePBX install from the "Other guys".

The centos script doesn't appear to work anymore. I can't get it to run in a vm or on a real machine. The IPBX iso does work though. Is that the recommended way to do it these days and moving forward?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@Alex Hackney: For the time being, stick with CentOS 6.x or the Incredible PBX ISO. I've removed the window sizing step. This required hard-coding the Asterisk version so we don't have to guess at what Digium has "improved." You'll still get Asterisk 13.13.1 so that shouldn't be a problem. Let me know how it goes.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
@wardmundy I was able to setup my system on the centos 6.8 install. Works great. Thank you. I'm now setting up this system on a vm to run for a while till I can get the main system up and going. Hoping that backup and restore from the vm to the main machine will work well too. Thank you for this work. I sincerely appreciate your effort.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
@wardmundy One more question for you.

I setup two vms one is on Linux 6.8 with IPBX installed, works fine.
The other is the IPBX.iso directly works fine as well.

Only difference I can see is that when you go to add an extension the IPBX iso has PJSIP available out of the gate. The CentOS install does not.

Why is that? Does it matter?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Look at the install log in root. Something went wrong in the CentOS build because they both use the identical installer.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I didnt see anything specific in the log. I reran the install process on another vm and got it working without issue with respect to the pjsip extensions. I think it'll be fine now. I'm going to completely setup the system in the vm and let it run there a few days, then I'll install the system on a 1u server and rack it. There should be no problem backup and restoring from the vm to the main system I assume.

Thank you for your help.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I ran it again just to make sure and it did install fine on 6.8 I think it is related to the window size. I'm moving forward with it. Thanks again!

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
IVe worked on this for a few days now and I've got the system up and running but bulk extensions module is broke. I can add all my extensions without an issue but then I have to go through each one and manually edit each one to make them work for some reason. What a pain.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
IVe worked on this for a few days now and I've got the system up and running but bulk extensions module is broke. I can add all my extensions without an issue but then I have to go through each one and manually edit each one to make them work for some reason. What a pain.

When I did the incredible backup/restore, I encountered similar issues. I ended up having to go into each extension and making some small change and then save it again for it to reset something. Make sure the follow me flags are set right and working too. Then the call flow controls were jacked up a bit too, and required me just to check in and reset the flow control to on or off and resave.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
@krzykat I'm litterally doing that now. Our client doesnt use any follow me or what not. They dont even use the voicemail app, we just email voicemail files directly to them and move on. It's just a 50+ extension setup and going in and checking each one is taking some time. But alas, #firstworldproblems. lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.