Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Sneak Peek at next week's article:

Adding CallerID Names to VitalPBX Inbound & Outbound Calls

EIDAFfBWsAIUo3R

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
OK - I'm late to the party, but I've now got some free time and interest in this project. There are things that they've done that I absolutely Love. The ability to pay for white label and multi-tenant to name a few.
My problem though is having access to hack out our own code.

Here's what is stopping me from using it:

We've got our own custom voicemail module that sends out email in HTML with our logo and transcription.
We've also got SMS notification of when a voicemail is created.

Would also love an extra widget on Sonata Switchboard for CDR's
Sonata Switchboard could also really benefit from a SMS module like Postcards

I really like what I see, but I am concerned about it not being open to mods.

kenn10

Reaction score
@wardmundy I'm grateful for the outbound CID functionality but I did not implement the CallerID Superfecta because I have not had time to study the internals of VitalPBX to my satisfaction. Looking at the code on your latest post #121 above, I see four ways to route an inbound call but am not clear on how to best implement this.

I have multiple DID's and ring groups. I don't want to route all incoming calls to one default destination. How do you use Superfecta and then let the call continue along the normal incoming routes defined in the VitalPBX PBX:External:Inbound routes?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@wardmundy I'm grateful for the outbound CID functionality but I did not implement the CallerID Superfecta because I have not had time to study the internals of VitalPBX to my satisfaction. Looking at the code on your latest post #121 above, I see four ways to route an inbound call but am not clear on how to best implement this.

I have multiple DID's and ring groups. I don't want to route all incoming calls to one default destination. How do you use Superfecta and then let the call continue along the normal incoming routes defined in the VitalPBX PBX:External:Inbound routes?

I don't know is the short answer. For the time being, the easy solution is to create a separately-named context [superfecta2], [superfecta3], etc. with matching Custom Contexts for each different destination you'd like and map the inbound routes accordingly.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
OK - I'm late to the party, but I've now got some free time and interest in this project. There are things that they've done that I absolutely Love. The ability to pay for white label and multi-tenant to name a few.
My problem though is having access to hack out our own code.

Here's what is stopping me from using it:

We've got our own custom voicemail module that sends out email in HTML with our logo and transcription.
We've also got SMS notification of when a voicemail is created.

Would also love an extra widget on Sonata Switchboard for CDR's
Sonata Switchboard could also really benefit from a SMS module like Postcards

I really like what I see, but I am concerned about it not being open to mods.

The (now free) unlimited Custom Contexts should make it easy to port over anything you're currently doing on the FreePBX platform.

markieb

Reaction score
Like @krzykat there's a lot that I love about VitalPBX, the multi-tenant, White Label etc. and I'm itching to implement it as my next PBX infrastructure of choice.

I've actually brought my long overdue next rebuild planning to a halt, to see just how far we (or you rather) can push things to implement or fix the few things that I really need that aren't native to VitalPBX.
Whatever PBX installation I settle on now will be with me for many more years to come, so it really must be the right one.......

For me the CallerID Superfecta integration with outbound ID lookup and display to phones and CDR is vital. It's something my clients love that others can't give them, and I just can't rave about the brand-new technology I'll be adopting, when it removes one of their favourite features.

Although I really wish I was cleverer in this department :rolleyes:, the under the hood programming stuff is not my strong point and probably never will be, which makes knocking out custom contexts and changes under the hood a nightmare for me when I must.
I'm thus forced to hang back hoping someone else will come up with a fix or feature that I need, and hope and pray that it happens in a timely fashion.
It's one of the reasons I never went for Wazo, although there too was a lot I loved.

I'm a little worried that I may be forced to stick with the IncrediblePBX 16-15 (which isn't perfect for me, but I know it) model going forward just because it does what I need it to do now.

@wardmundy do you think we will ever have native or what we have now on Superfacta outbound CID lookup etc. in VitalPBX, or should I anticipate sticking with IncrediblePBX 16-15 going forward for the foreseeable future?

I just had to ask for my own sanity going forward.....

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@markieb: Have you looked at next week's article?? The link is posted above. It does outbound and inbound CNAM lookups with native delivery, caching, and OpenCNAM. Those are really the only 3 reliable lookups that were left in the U.S, anyway,

markieb

Reaction score
@markieb: Have you looked at next week's article?? The link is posted above. It does outbound and inbound CNAM lookups with native delivery, caching, and OpenCNAM. Those are really the only 3 reliable lookups that were left in the U.S, anyway,
@wardmundy Thanks Ward, I've had a very brief peruse over the article, but nothing in deapth.
I'm in the UK and I use the local asterisk phonebook & even more importantly "UKPhoneInfo UK" module to display the Area name associated with the area code when there's nothing in the local address book for the CID. I've never had to use the likes of OpenCNAM in the past.
I could get away with a local database lookup of the area name associated with the dialling code instead of the "UKPhoneInfo UK" module, as getting a CSV list for import is easy enough, I just wouldn't know where to start or how to do it....

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@markieb: OpenCNAM has international options (Value and Plus) which would give you what you need. The Asterisk Phonebook if I'm not mistaken uses AstDB with CNAM entries prefixed with cidname. That's exactly what we use for the cache, and it would be easy to import them. It's a SQLite database so you can shut down Asterisk and extract and update it easily. Run database show from the Asterisk CLI on your PBX and see if that isn't where your entries are stored. Or...

Code:
# shutting down Asterisk isn't required to "just look" in the database
cd /var/lib/asterisk
sqlite3 astdb.sqlite3 "select key,value from astdb where key LIKE '%cidname/%' order by value"

Last edited:

markieb

Reaction score
@markieb: OpenCNAM has international options (Value and Plus) which would give you what you need. The Asterisk Phonebook if I'm not mistaken uses AstDB with CNAM entries prefixed with cidname. That's exactly what we use for the cache, and it would be easy to import them. It's a SQLite database so you can shut down Asterisk and extract and update it easily. Run database show from the Asterisk CLI on your PBX and see if that isn't where your entries are stored. Or...
@wardmundy Yes... as you suggested, that showed the entries I currently have in the Asterisk PhoneBook....

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@wardmundy Yes... as you suggested, that showed the entries I currently have in the Asterisk PhoneBook....

So putting it all together, here's how to create a script that you can copy over to the VitalPBX server and run to import all of your current Asterisk Phonebook entries. On your current PBX...
Code:
cd /var/lib/asterisk
sqlite3 astdb.sqlite3 "select key,value from astdb where key LIKE '%cidname/%' order by value" > /root/import.sh
cd /root
sed -i 's|/cidname|asterisk -rx "database put cidname "|' import.sh
sed -i 's| "/| |' import.sh
sed -i 's|\|| "|' import.sh
sed -i 's|$|"|' import.sh
sed -i "s|\"d|'d|" import.sh
sed -i "s|$|'|" import.sh
chmod +x import.sh

Then just copy /root/import.sh to the VitalPBX server and run it. Done.

VERIFY THE SCRIPT LOOKS RIGHT BEFORE RUNNING IT!! SQLITE3 EXPORT WOULDN'T WORK WITH OUR OLD PIAF-BROWN PBX.

Last edited:

markieb

Reaction score
So putting it all together, here's how to create a script that you can copy over to the VitalPBX server and run to import all of your current Asterisk Phonebook entries. On your current PBX...
Then just copy /root/import.sh to the VitalPBX server and run it. Done.
Thanks @wardmundy I'll give it a go as soon as I'm back in the office. Have decided to install a VirtualBox to make messing about with the different version easier and means I don't have to have multiple machines to do testing.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score

BulkVS is a good one, but I imagine one could hack the code to change it from OpenCNAM to BulkVS. I'm really torn after digging into this. The Sonata Suite switchboard is really nice, and to my surprise, I found some literature that shows that it is available on a FreePBX platform as well. If one could write a NEW widget for it, I'd be into it in 2 seconds.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@krzykat: We've added BulkVS to next week's CNAM article. Thanks. Unless you're a carrier, their queries are $.005 as opposed to $.004 with BulkCNAM. And they round the CNAM costs daily to the whole cent. As mentioned previously, they also charge for CNAM dips on all incoming calls to their DIDs so you may end up paying twice unless you disable CID Superfecta with their DIDs. Not my favorite business model if you couldn't tell. :piggy:

Here's the replacement line after obtaining your APIkey in API:API Credentials in their portal:

Code:
same => n,Set(CID_NAME3=${SHELL(curl -X GET "https://cnam.bulkCNAM.com/?id=APIkey&did=${CALL_SOURCE}")})

Last edited:

piaftnt

Reaction score
Is there a way to add google contacts CallerID Superfecta as a cid source?
The majority of the calls I get are from people already in my contacts. On ipbx-13 I use google contacts as the first choice.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
There are any number of ways to Export to CSV your Google Contacts..

Then write a simple script to add them to your asterisk astdb or phone book of choice.

piaftnt

Reaction score
There are any number of ways to Export to CSV your Google Contacts..

Then write a simple script to add them to your asterisk astdb or phone book of choice.

Yes, I understand that and agree that is trivial to do but it requires someone/something to periodically update it. What I am looking for is the way Superfecta works in fpbx. It queries google contacts real time when a call comes in, so any changes just appear. I do not understand how to program against google APIs or I would do it myself.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Per the email I got yesterday from Bulkvs.com, their CNAM charges have dropped.

CNAM (Caller ID Name)
$0.002
per query

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Per the email I got yesterday from Bulkvs.com, their CNAM charges have dropped.

CNAM (Caller ID Name)
$0.002
per query

Right and if you use another companies DID's, with caching ... that becomes quite economical

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.