TIPS Raspberry Pi Network Issues

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah. I keep forgetting to do that, but anyone can do it by resetting it during the raspi-config step (where SD card is resized), or they can run raspi-config at any time change it as well.
I know, and an argument could be made it's better to stick with "stock" raspbian in this regard. If the pipe/vertical bar mapped correctly at the console, I doubt I would care, but I swear at it every time.

Martin Lunt

Reaction score
Oh you poor Americans. For we Brits we are used to the # being a \ and the @ being a "
Switching from a console to an ssh window can be a challenge though late at night when you are tired. I did though find it a real pain when Logitek sent me a French keyboard by mistake.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Oh you poor Americans. For we Brits we are used to the # being a \ and the @ being a "
Switching from a console to an ssh window can be a challenge though late at night when you are tired. I did though find it a real pain when Logitek sent me a French keyboard by mistake.

Learn something every day. :idea: Gotta love the British sense of humor, too. Our # sign shows up as £.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
It's worthwhile stress testing the Pi3. My first one had issues.

I use memtester for my stress test. The following starts four memtester sessions (testing 500MB memory), logs the results, and outputs errors to the console:
Code:
# install memtester
apt-get -y install memtester

# stop asterisk
amportal stop
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop
/etc/init.d/mysql stop

# remove old logs
rm -f /tmp/memtest-log*
rm -f /tmp/memtest-err*

for i in $(seq 1 4)
do
  echo starting session $i
  memtester 125M 2 2>&1 >/tmp/memtest-log.$i | tee /tmp/memtest-err.$i &
done

echo waiting....
wait
echo done

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@jerrm: As configured the RasPi 3 only has 99MB of swap space + 925MB of available RAM. Existing setup uses about half of that RAM. On my setup that leaves 442MB + 99MB under idle conditions. So... it may be that your 500MB stress test is running out of available memory space.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
@jerrm: As configured the RasPi 3 only has 99MB of swap space + 925MB of available RAM. Existing setup uses about half of that RAM. On my setup that leaves 442MB + 99MB under idle conditions. So... it may be that your 500MB stress test is running out of available memory space.
memtester grabs and locks the memory at initialization. If there isn't enough to grab the requested amount it will back down to what is free. Theoretically the last session could be less than 125MB, but that hasn't happened (yet).

Using 4 125MB sessions vs 1 500MB session provides extra stress, maxing out all four CPU's vs only one.

Last edited:

Begreenbxl

Reaction score
Did you follow the Startup Instructions in the tutorial at the top of the thread?? You can't originally boot and login from Putty. You first must login from the console as pi with password: raspberry.
Will there be a way to have an original boot with SSH someday or is there a possible workaround? Travelling a lot and don't have a keyboard & screen at hand, just a couple of laptops.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Will there be a way to have an original boot with SSH someday or is there a possible workaround? Travelling a lot and don't have a keyboard & screen at hand, just a couple of laptops.

Reminds me of a "works in a pinch" workaround for a HDMI display device if you only have a laptop as a display: http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-AVe...id=1457697152&sr=8-6&keywords=gamer+hdmi+live. The device includes a program that allows real time monitoring of the HDMI stream and I have used it before to interact with a SOC device like the Pi when SSH was not available and I didn't have an HDMI monitor handy.

Begreenbxl

Reaction score
Reminds me of a "works in a pinch" workaround for a HDMI display device if you only have a laptop as a display: http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-AVe...id=1457697152&sr=8-6&keywords=gamer+hdmi+live. The device includes a program that allows real time monitoring of the HDMI stream and I have used it before to interact with a SOC device like the Pi when SSH was not available and I didn't have an HDMI monitor handy.
Yep, could try that one... but cheaper and quicker will be to buy a small keyboard and use the hotel HDMI monitor ;)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I think there is some confusion. The SSH restriction only applies to the initial setup with the very first boot from your new SDcard image. After that, SSH is fully enabled, and you can log in as root after reboots as often as needed. For traveling, we find it helpful to add the following line in /etc/rc.local which will send you an email with the IP address of your server once it boots on an unfamiliar network.

Code:
echo "IP address: $(hostname -I)" | mail -s "RaspberryPi IP Address" [email protected]

It's obviously a very good idea to preconfigure SendMail with a smarthost so you're not at the mercy of every ISP as to whether they support downstream mail, etc. Gmail setup is available here.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Yep, could try that one... but cheaper and quicker will be to buy a small keyboard and use the hotel HDMI monitor ;)

Not all of the hotels allow you to switch to hdmi even if the TV has it as the remotes don't allow input switching. You can work around this with a smart phone with ir and a universal remote app.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I'll state once again I think headless "out of the box" installs should be enabled.

The convenience factor is huge. Most folks don't have a spare monitor and keyboard easily accessible. These days notebook users may not have a separate monitor or keyboard at all.

The odds of a Pi being booted up exposed to the wild is virtually nil.

Exposure could be mitigated. Limit the initial ssh to the current local network, or just RFC1918 nets. Have a job to halt the system or disable ssh some limited time after initial boot if setup isn't completed.

Begreenbxl

Reaction score
Not all of the hotels allow you to switch to hdmi even if the TV has it as the remotes don't allow input switching. You can work around this with a smart phone with ir and a universal remote app.
Just to let you know, bought a cheap keyboard and used HDMI TV. Have own Wifi setup with assigned IP for Pi's Mac address. Installation went smoothly, no hiccup. IPBX been running for 12h now without problem.
Still on a PI 2, but GUI seems to respond a little faster on Jessie than it did on Wheezy.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I'll state once again I think headless "out of the box" installs should be enabled.

I'm almost persuaded... but not quite. In the good ol' days, there was a serious problem moving one of these servers from one IP address to another. It was anything but plug-and-play. But Raspbian 8 seems to fix that. I took a RasPi 3 that was on a private LAN and moved it to a public IP address on a completely different LAN and rebooted. Presto! Came up just like you would expect.

That being said. This SSH limitation only applies until you go through the 30-second Phase I setup one time. After that, you can clone the SDcard or move the hardware to ANY platform and everything just works. Is that not sufficient??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.