PIONEERS Incredible PBX for Pogoplug 4

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Note to anyone, you can get faxing to work on the V4 Mobile and (assuming) the V4 A3. I followed this guide: http://the-asterisk-book.com/1.6/faxserver-mit-iaxmodem-und-hylafax.html. Make sure you compile iaxmodem from source. My apt-get for the rest of it was...
Code:
apt-get install -y mgetty mgetty-voice hylafax-server ghostscript gsfonts hylafax-client libgs9 libgs9-common libnetpbm10 libpaper-utils libpaper1 libtiff-tools netpbm transfig php-mail-mime php-net-socket php-auth-sasl php-net-smtp php-mail php-mdb2 php-mdb2-driver-mysql tesseract-ocr imagemagick libtiff-dev g++ libtiff4 libtiff4-dev
Set up an IAX2 extension and edit it twice to set call token to no and allow to 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255. And when you set up your ttyIAX0 config file, use localhost for server, not 127.0.0.1. For FaxDispatch, set the filetype to email as 'tiff' as when I tried pdf it appears to require too many resources in order to render the pdf so faxes come through to your email as partial even though the send side indicates everything was transmitted.

This is what worked for me. I have only tried VOIP to VOIP faxing using GV trunks. Like all VOIP faxing, as far as consistency goes YMMV.

bgp12

Reaction score
Great project! You can edit the LEDs by adjusting your /etc/rc.local. You'll also see your new light combo when ssh is back up.

Here are the triggers for status:green:health and status:red:fault
Code:
cat /sys/class/leds/status\:green\:health/trigger
none nand-disk timer oneshot ide-disk1 ide-disk2 heartbeat gpio default-on [mmc0]

Add echo mmc0 > /sys/class/leds/status:green:health/trigger to your rc.local file for a solid green and yellow status light for the sdcard.
Code:
# turn on LED
if [ -d /sys/class/leds/status:green:health ]; then
  echo default-on > /sys/class/leds/status:green:health/trigger
  echo mmc0 > /sys/class/leds/status:green:health/trigger

Red light with yellow activity
Code:
 echo default-on > /sys/class/leds/status:red:fault/trigger

LED Off with green activity
Code:
 echo none > /sys/class/leds/status:green:health/trigger

LED Off with red activity
Code:
 echo none > /sys/class/leds/status:green:health/trigger
echo mmc0 > /sys/class/leds/status:red:fault/trigger

Slater

Reaction score
I am sure I'm missing something stupid, but I thought it better to be dumb on here than needlessly ruin hardware by throwing darts.

I followed each step in order from nerdvittles and the blog with the Debian instructions. On Qui's "outline of steps" it mentions Boot default Pogoplug OS when USB/SD card not attached.

After following the rest of the steps, I can get it to boot into Debian without issue, with the SD card inserted. Without it, it just flashes green to red.

So I have a PogoPlug working with Debian, and go back to the nerdvittles instructions. There it mentions "purchasing a SD Card", so I did following the Amazon link. I then followed the instructions for installing IncrediblePBX onto the second SD card via my Mac and that seemed to work without issue.

When I shut down the PogoPlug and switch SD card 1 for SD Card 2 (with IncrediblePBX) and power up, the green light blinks then remains solid like it has successfully booted, but even after hours, it will not appear on the network. There is only one SD slot so I assume the SD card that was in the Pogo for QUI's instructions can't be in at the same time? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Jay Deal

Reaction score
I compiled chan_mobile.so for the V4 and it works well with the IPBX image. You can compile it your self if you load bluetooth and libbluetooth-dev and then goto the asterisk-11.12.0 directory in /usr/src and do a './configure --with-bluetooth' and then enable chan_mobile in 'make menuselect' and then 'make', 'make install' and 'make config'. Chan_mobile.conf in /etc/asterisk is what you edit with your BT adapter and cell phone particulars. Search the forum for tips on setting it up and scour the interwebs for help pairing your cell phone. For me the pairing part was the hardest, setting up Asterisk for the chan_mobile was comparatively easy. I plan on adding this to my GSM gateway device as another trunk for my main PBX but I am still struggling with passing the correct DID number along my dedicated PBX to gateway trunk. Once that problem is solved, I plan to use the BT on the gateway similar to an ObiBT dongle on an Obi202. This would allow me to place the V4 Mob on my desk close to my cell phone for tethering to my main PBX. You could deploy several of these throughout your facility or home so that your cell phone is always in range of a BT tether. Seeing as I have my V4 mob running off of wifi (via a passive 4 port USB hub) all I need to deploy it remotely is wifi signal and a power plug. It seems the V4 has enough juice to keep powered the GSM dongle, BT adapter and wifi adapter at the same time so I am glad that I didn't need a powered hub.

Jay Deal

Reaction score
If some of you are interested in getting the most performance from your V4, here is a site with some suggestions on how you can tweak settings to improve throughput https://linuxengineering.wordpress.com/2014/08/03/performance-tuning-with-pogoplug-v4/. One interesting finding, the SD card is actually on a slower bus so you may see better performance using a USB 3.0 flash drive. I'll have to try that out but it may require modifying the boot environment and that should be approached with care.

Also, the Qnology site has provided instructions on how to upgrade the kernel (which comes as 3.14 stock IPBX image) to 3.18.5, the latest put out for distribution. Look for the upgrade instructions at the bottom of the loading Alarm/Debian tutorial: http://blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking-pogoplug-v4-series-4-and-mobile.html.

Reaction score
I've run into a bit of an pickle that I'm trying to solve.

Background Data
  1. Successfully setup a shiny new pogoplug using the tutorial found on nerdvittles. I Have it registered to multiple trunks and have already talked for 20+ hours this past week (I work from home and spend way too much time on the phone) - Call quality is great!
  2. I Have Comcast :mad:
My issue is that Comcast blocks port 25 so I can't send email from the box. This means that I don't receive email notifications when I have a new voicemail or recommended module update.
My first idea was to just use the user portal on a regular basis to check for voicemail. Problem is that the user control panel isn't part of the PogoPlug install. The error I receive when loading the page reads ARI does not appear to have access to the Asterisk Manager and my understanding is that this was removed due to the pogo's 128MB memory limitation.
Next I tried following the "Install gMail as SMTP Relay Host for SendMail" tutorial located here: http://pbxinaflash.com/community/in...ll-gmail-as-smtp-relay-host-for-sendmail.974/
I wish I documented my steps but I did manage to get through the tutorial install. I think I had to create a missing directory leading me to believe that this tutorial may have never been intended to be used on a pogo running incrediblePBX? Regardless, it doesn't seem like its working as I still don't receive any email. Its possible that I screwed something up and I've tried repeating the steps but am now stuck with permission errors (e.g - makemap: error opening type hash map genericstable.db: Permission denied)
I also went as far as to rent a cheap server from RamNode and setup everything from scratch. No problems at all and email works great except I'd rather not have a monthly bill and would prefer to run my PBX locally. It was fun to get some more experience setting up IncrediblePBX however!
So I guess the question is what is my next step? I see a few options:
  1. Start all over on my pogo, reinstall and hope I screwed something up with the "Install gMail as SMTP Relay Host for SendMail" tutorial
  2. Cut my losses and buy a beagle box or raspberry pi
Any advice? Unfortunately switching from Comcast is not an option :whistling:

deeiche

Reaction score
I am also on comcast. What I did was configure exim4 to relay via "smtp.comcast.net::587" in update-exim4.conf.conf . This is an authenticated relay, so you also have to put your comcast email account and password in "passwd.client". Read both update-exim4.conf.conf and passwd.client for more info.

I believe everyone who has Comcast internet, has a Comcast email address. I had never used my @comcast.net account until I setup the relay.

It works fine.

I've run into a bit of an pickle that I'm trying to solve.

Background Data
  1. Successfully setup a shiny new pogoplug using the tutorial found on nerdvittles. I Have it registered to multiple trunks and have already talked for 20+ hours this past week (I work from home and spend way too much time on the phone) - Call quality is great!
  2. I Have Comcast :mad:
My issue is that Comcast blocks port 25 so I can't send email from the box. This means that I don't receive email notifications when I have a new voicemail or recommended module update.
My first idea was to just use the user portal on a regular basis to check for voicemail. Problem is that the user control panel isn't part of the PogoPlug install. The error I receive when loading the page reads ARI does not appear to have access to the Asterisk Manager and my understanding is that this was removed due to the pogo's 128MB memory limitation.
Next I tried following the "Install gMail as SMTP Relay Host for SendMail" tutorial located here: http://pbxinaflash.com/community/in...ll-gmail-as-smtp-relay-host-for-sendmail.974/
I wish I documented my steps but I did manage to get through the tutorial install. I think I had to create a missing directory leading me to believe that this tutorial may have never been intended to be used on a pogo running incrediblePBX? Regardless, it doesn't seem like its working as I still don't receive any email. Its possible that I screwed something up and I've tried repeating the steps but am now stuck with permission errors (e.g - makemap: error opening type hash map genericstable.db: Permission denied)
I also went as far as to rent a cheap server from RamNode and setup everything from scratch. No problems at all and email works great except I'd rather not have a monthly bill and would prefer to run my PBX locally. It was fun to get some more experience setting up IncrediblePBX however!
So I guess the question is what is my next step? I see a few options:
  1. Start all over on my pogo, reinstall and hope I screwed something up with the "Install gMail as SMTP Relay Host for SendMail" tutorial
  2. Cut my losses and buy a beagle box or raspberry pi
Any advice? Unfortunately switching from Comcast is not an option :whistling:

Reaction score
@
I am also on comcast. What I did was configure exim4 to relay via "smtp.comcast.net::587" in update-exim4.conf.conf . This is an authenticated relay, so you also have to put your comcast email account and password in "passwd.client". Read both update-exim4.conf.conf and passwd.client for more info.

I believe everyone who has Comcast internet, has a Comcast email address. I had never used my @comcast.net account until I setup the relay.

It works fine.

Thanks! These were the clues that I needed to get me on the right track. I ran into a few challenges and thought I'd post what ended up working so I'd have something to reference should I ever have to do this again (plus, maybe someone else will find it useful)

disclaimer: I really don't know what I'm doing and if someone else comes along and provides another process you should probably follow theirs

1. The first thing I had to do was reinstall exim4 with the command "apt-get install exim4" --You probably won't need to do this unless you're like me and corrupted it when trying to install sendmail as part of the gmail tutorial linked above.
  2. Next, issue this command: "nano /etc/exim4/passwd.client" Create 3 lines in this file like I've done below. You do NOT need the @comcast in your username.
    1. Code:
      *.comcast.net:YOURCOMCASTUSERNAME:YOURCOMCASTPASSWORD
      smtp.comcast.net:YOURCOMCASTUSERNAME:YOURCOMCASTPASSWORD
      smtp.g.comcast.net:YOURCOMCASTUSERNAME:YOURCOMCASTPASSWORD
  3. Next, issue the command "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config"
    1. Choose the 2nd option: mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetch mail
    2. Choose the defaults for all screens until "IP address or host name of the outgoing smarthost: "
      1. Make this value "smtp.comcast.net::587" (do not include the quotes)
    3. Choose the defaults for everything else
  4. Next, issue these 3 commands in order. I am pretty sure this isn't really necessary since the last step should have concluded with a restart but the random tutorial I found on this step told me to do it soon I did. Just takes a second, may as well.
    1. update-exim4.conf
    2. invoke-rc.d exim4 restart
    3. exim4 -qff
  5. Try sending a message! Issue the command below. Update [email protected]with your real email address
    1. echo "test" | mail -s testmessage [email protected]
  6. Did you get a message??? I didn't. Run this command to see what the error was
    1. tail /var/log/exim4/mainlog
  7. I saw an error that included "sender rejected : invalid sender domain"
  8. After a ton of time spent reading articles online and searching the Comcast forums I concluded that this error means exactly what it says - Comcast doesn't like invalid sender domains. To fix this, here is what I did
    1. nano /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
    2. Update the value next to dc_readhost to be a real domain. For example
      1. dc_readhost='cnn.com' (note: the email you receive will be from [email protected] if you actually pick cnn. It will probably be less weird if you put in a domain that you own)
      2. dc_hide_mailname='true'
    3. Save and exit
    4. Do these 3 commands again
      1. update-exim4.conf
      2. invoke-rc.d exim4 restart
      3. exim4 -qff
    5. Do this command again
      1. echo "test" | mail -s testmessage [email protected]
    6. Check your email! For me this worked. I received a message
    7. NOTE: I realize that everything under step 8 could (should?) have probably been done after step 4. I'm only putting it in this order because its exactly what I did and it appeared to work.
Anyway long story short my issue is solved! All appears to be in order and super happy with my pogo

deeiche

Reaction score
glad to hear you got it working.

I had not used exim in years, but have many years of configuring Unix based SMTP servers.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
finally able to order a couple of these in the uk,

two pogoplug mobiles are on their way.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I love mine, although I am currently using my Dockstar instead with the same Pogo image. Seems to be working fine so far.

- Greets from tropical Bonaire!

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
removed swapfilepp added zram:

Code:
root@pogoplug:~# swapon -s
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/zram0                              partition    91996    0    10

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
removed swapfilepp added zram:

Code:
root@pogoplug:~# swapon -s
Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
/dev/zram0                              partition    91996    0    10
It is that simple?

Any noticeable performance advantage?

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
It is that simple?

Any noticeable performance advantage?

follow https://wiki.debian.org/ZRam

swapoff /swapfilepp
rm /swapfilepp

nano /etc/init.d/zram

enter:

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: zram
# Required-Start: $local_fs
# Required-Stop: $local_fs
# Default-Start: S
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Use compressed RAM as in-memory swap
# Description: Use compressed RAM as in-memory swap
### END INIT INFO

# Author: Antonio Galea <[email protected]>
# Thanks to Przemysław Tomczyk for suggesting swapoff parallelization

FRACTION=75

MEMORY=`perl -ne'/^MemTotal:\s+(\d+)/ && print $1*1024;' < /proc/meminfo`
CPUS=`grep -c processor /proc/cpuinfo`
SIZE=$(( MEMORY * FRACTION / 100 / CPUS ))

case "$1" in
"start")
param=`modinfo zram|grep num_devices|cut -f2 -d:|tr -d ' '`
modprobe zram $param=$CPUS
for n in `seq $CPUS`; do
i=$((n - 1))
echo $SIZE > /sys/block/zram$i/disksize
mkswap /dev/zram$i
swapon /dev/zram$i -p 10
done
;;
"stop")
for n in `seq $CPUS`; do
i=$((n - 1))
swapoff /dev/zram$i && echo "disabled disk $n of $CPUS" &
done
wait
sleep .5
modprobe -r zram
;;
*)
echo "Usage: `basename $0` (start | stop)"
exit 1
;;
esac

then enter:

chmod +x /etc/init.d/zram

and finally

insserv zram

to check performance advantage I may need to set up my 2nd pogoplug with the same setup but swapfile enabled to test, but seems smooth so far

edit: I will add that I also use zram on my goflexhome, no swapfile, and that has been running well over a year with no issues

dumdedumda

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread.

Is it possible to use IncrediblePBX on a Pogoplug V4 in 2021?

hawk#1

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread.

Is it possible to use IncrediblePBX on a Pogoplug V4 in 2021?
Give it a try and let us know the outcome. Personally, I would not waste my time and would rather use a Raspberry Pi. Something that will be usable for a few more years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.