FOOD FOR THOUGHT Incredible PBX for BeagleBone

Taylor

Reaction score
I recently got myself a T46G and I also noticed that raspberry-asterisk.org is now recommending the BeagleBone Black (http://www.beaglebone-asterisk.org/) .

So I did myself a favor and purchased the BeagleBone, but now I am missing the Incredible PBX features.

The BeagleBone Black is an awesome board its far faster than the Raspberry Pi which is instantly noticeable!

Whats the changes of getting Incredible PBX on the Black?

Taylor

Reaction score
That would be awesome, interesting thing to note besides the night and day speed bump of the Beaglebone it is made in the USA, as well as costing the same as a Raspberry Pi, was also able to pickup a nice metal case for it for only $10.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Taylor: Check out Nerd Vittles tomorrow.

BbDqGHcCcAABGyl.jpg:large

PBX@Home

Reaction score
SUCH A TEASE! At least put a title on the NV article.

Max Power

Reaction score
It's amazing to me that they can build that with all that equipment, manual labour, packaging, distribution etc for $45. And made in the USA to top it off! Great post wm!

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
Aside from "Made in the U.S.A."... Here's what $45 buys you if you can ever find one...

I just checked MCM Electronics website to see if the Black might be in-stock. On back-order, expected in 71 days... o_O Demand must be very high.

I knew about the Beaglebone, but didn't realize they now had a device that was $45.00. Thanks for the info, guys!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Newark reports it should have some in the next few days. Adafruit is reporting a new shipment due in "5 to 10 business days." My recollection is that our Amazon link was reporting a new shipment due in about the same time frame. That and $5 will get you a nice cup of Starbucks coffee.

Brian Gerstel

Reaction score
You've heaped lots of praise on the BeagleBone Black, but obviously PIAF's main platform is still Intel-based PCs.

Aside from the caveat (noted elsewhere in the forum) that Schmoozecom doesn't yet support the commercial FreePBX add-ons on ARM processors, is there a rule of thumb to use when trying to choose between a BBB and a low-end Intel PC? I'm guessing that the biggest issue is available memory, so I guess the real question is: under what kind of load/circumstances would the 512MB of RAM on the BBB be insufficient for an efficiently running PIAF system?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you get above 5 simultaneous calls with no compression, then the Raspberry Pi and BBB are not a suitable platform in my opinion. If you're doing any data compression on calls, you'll definitely need an Atom processor or more depending upon the volume and types of calls. For home use or SOHO deployments, the BBB is just about perfect. 512MB is more than ample for the environment we're talking about. Aside from the lag on web access, the Raspberry Pi also works reasonably well. We typically reboot the little systems every night in a cron job just to clear up any issues with potential memory leaks.

mbellot

Reaction score
If you get above 5 simultaneous calls with no compression, then the Raspberry Pi and BBB are not a suitable platform in my opinion. If you're doing any data compression on calls, you'll definitely need an Atom processor or more depending upon the volume and types of calls. For home use or SOHO deployments, the BBB is just about perfect. 512MB is more than ample for the environment we're talking about. Aside from the lag on web access, the Raspberry Pi also works reasonably well. We typically reboot the little systems every night in a cron job just to clear up any issues with potential memory leaks.

To follow up on Ward's comments...

I ran a RasPi system for a couple weeks when my PIAF PC decided it was time to retire.

My base home system is pretty "simple" (but obviously held together with duct tape and bailing wire), two inbound SIP trunks (via VOIP.ms), two FXS connections to wireless phones (via a Cisco 1760) and a Polycom 501 for the wife's office.

The Pi never skipped a beat when it came to calls, but configuration was very painful because of the slow web interface. Getting endpoint manager to work (for the P501) was a bit of a pain as well, but not awful.

I went back to a PC because the Pi (and I'm guessing the BBB) won't support fail2ban and other options that make remote extensions a bad idea. I have a couple set up for family to make internal "free" calls to us, so this was a long term deal breaker for my needs. For a little more than the cost of a BBB (or twice the Pi) you can get a very capable off-lease Dell from fleabay. My current system (Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD) was $70 delivered to my door. The big downside is power consumption, it's hard to beat the 5-7w usage of a Pi with a desktop PC.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
mbellot: Actually fail2ban IPtables has been integrated into the Incredible Pi appliance with support for Travelin' Man 3. We should have a version for the RasPBX platforms shortly.

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
Got my Beaglebone black and am pretty happy so far. I couldn't get the resize script to work, so I used gparted. I can open it in nano, but bash won't run it.

Also, what is the recommended way to shut down? I've been doing shutdown -P now then holding down the power switch. That safe?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Need a better hint on the resize problem. Do any errors display? What do the logs show??

For shutdown, either use halt or shutdown -h now.

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
Need a better hint on the resize problem. Do any errors display? What do the logs show??

For shutdown, either use halt or shutdown -h now.

root@raspbx:/var/log# cd /root
root@raspbx:~# resize-partition
-bash: resize-partition: command not found
root@raspbx:~# ls -l
total 88
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 4 08:49 asterisk-googletts
drwxr-xr-x 4 asterisk asterisk 4096 Feb 1 2012 asterisk-speech-recog-0.5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1524 Dec 6 11:10 copyright
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26263 Dec 4 09:58 flite.tar.gz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1897 Dec 9 13:50 install-smsdictator.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2609 Dec 5 13:01 install-wolframalpha.sh
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Dec 4 12:41 pygooglevoice
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 457 Dec 7 16:37 resize-partition
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 5 11:00 sendmailmp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2483 Aug 9 2012 sms-dictator.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7999 Jul 17 09:33 smsblast.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3160 Dec 5 19:35 status
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 697 Dec 5 16:17 update-my-raspbx
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4519 Dec 13 18:15 update-passwords
root@raspbx:~#
Don't see anything in the syslog. Is there another place to check?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Linux 101: When running apps from their own directory, you have two choices: either precede the script name with ./ like this: ./resize-partition. Or use the full path name to the script /root/resize-partition. It's one of the really stupid Linux quirks left over from the "good ol' days."

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
Got a couple more memory cards coming in today. I'll try it the right way this time.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
What OS is the Beaglebone version of PIAF running on? I want to get a Wifi adapter and I'm not sure which one to get.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.