FYI Incredible PBX 16-15 in VirtualBox

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
In the write up it states "Next, double-click on the Incredible PBX .ova image on your desktop. Be sure to check the box to initialize the MAC address of the image and then click Import."

The only options I see in MAC Address Policy:

1. Include only NAT network adapter MAC addresses
2. Include all network adapter MAC addresses
3. Generate new MAC addresses for all network adapters

I've tried each one and I get the following error: "Failed to import appliance...NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
Okay, I follow the steps outlined here: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=30683

And I get a black screen upon starting the VM. I see scientific linux options load and then black screen. Any help is appreciated.

I also get this on at the CLI. 2474

Last edited:

undrhil

Reaction score
This is the same problem I am having. I thought these were supposed to be install and run, not install and ... not-run....

undrhil

Reaction score
What is your version of VirtualBox? When you reinstalled it, did you install the latest version or are you using an older version? I ask because I am running an older version: Version 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.6.2)

undrhil

Reaction score
OK, I've installed v6.0.14 VirtualBox and installed the appliance into it. I get the same issue as before. One thing to note- I get this screen before getting the initial error about Asterisk not being started. It's like someone packaged it without doing the setup?2476

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
What is your version of VirtualBox? When you reinstalled it, did you install the latest version or are you using an older version? I ask because I am running an older version: Version 6.0.12 r133076 (Qt5.6.2)
I've tried it on version 5 and 6. I'm using Ubuntu as the operating system that VirtualBox is installed on. Version 5.2.32_Ubuntu r132056. The newer version does not have the checkbox for: initialize MAC address box. So I'm not sure what drop down is the correct one. I have tried all three, still cant get it to work. I am going to try the new VitalPBX VirtualBox release as well.

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
This is what I get with the VitalPBX .ova. Has anyone had success with any of the VirtualBox builds?

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
Also what selection from the drop down box. There is no "check the initialize MAC address box, and boom. Instant PBX!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
FYI: We obviously can't test on every possible platform, but we do test on Windows 10 with VirtualBox 5 (has initialize MAC address option) and Mac Sierra with VirtualBox 6 (just click Import and don't change anything). Have you enabled the network adapter for your platform before starting the VM??

I just redownloaded from SF and tested again with no issues. So... I guess the short answer is don't use Ubuntu if you want this to work. Sorry, but I can't fix it.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
OK, I've installed v6.0.14 VirtualBox and installed the appliance into it. I get the same issue as before. One thing to note- I get this screen before getting the initial error about Asterisk not being started. It's like someone packaged it without doing the setup?View attachment 2476

This is NORMAL behavior. An install script is executed when you first start up the VM. This is used to personalize your SSH credentials among other things. Take a look at /etc/profile.d/helloworld.sh if you want to see what is happening.

Last edited:

undrhil

Reaction score
I have installed VirtualBox 5.2.8 and loaded this appliance and I get the exact same result. I get that there's an install script but your article doesn't mention it and basically says "After some Linux stuff, login and immediately change your password." Well, when I log in, I don't get the CLI prompt to be able to change my password. Since this is supposed to be an "all and one" (install and run), something is broken on your .ova .. there are two people with the same problem!

Also, I am running my VirtualBox on Windows 10.

kmcdaniel, you want the third option in the dropdown. It's something like "create a new random MAC for this NIC" or something like that.

undrhil

Reaction score
Ward, what changed between 16-15.2 and 16-15.2.1 for this file? and is the original .ova from the time of the article still available?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I did a fresh download this morning and installed it on Windows 10 running VirtualBox 5.1.30. Didn't see the problem, and I didn't change any of the defaults before importing the .ova. Does your MD5SUM match the SourceForge entry?? Sorry, but I don't have any other suggestions other than to roll your own from a CentOS 7 ISO and then run the 16-15.2 installer.

undrhil

Reaction score
Are you using the latest updates to Windows 10? Is it possible that there is a Windows 10 update causing issues somehow?

undrhil

Reaction score
Off topic: I do love how M$ released an article praising how millions of people have downloaded the latest Windows 10 updates. I read that and was immediately like "Well, yeah, since updates are mandatory..." I'd be interested to see how many people downloaded updates for Windows 7 or Windows 8.x since those were voluntary.

Anyway, I've installed VirtualBox 5.1.30 (incidentally, why aren't you on the latest version of VirtualBox?) and I'm importing the.ova now.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We run the latest VirtualBox image on a Mac and the older version on Windows so we can test compatibility. :cool:

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
I'm starting with a fresh install of Centos 7 minimal right now and will build from there. I've already got an Ubuntu server running with lots of resources so I wanted to give it a try to run it there under Virtual Box. I'll keep you all posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.