TIPS Incredible PBX 13 ISO & Intel NUC Failed Install

broadcastguy

Reaction score
Hello PBX Geniuses!

I thank you in advance for your help; I'm pretty stumped here.

I have been attempting to install the Incredible PBX ISO from a USB flash drive onto my Intel NUC mini-PC and have been running into a warning after the first reboot, and prior to Incredible PBX attempting to install. I've done the procedures in http://nerdvittles.com/?p=15048 including making sure I have an updated BIOS and that both the time is set correctly and Legacy Boot options are selected. The result of the warning, which I can never catch because it goes by so quickly, is the install bypassing the installation of Incredible PBX and sending me right to the command prompt.

Initially upon reboot the NIC fails but eventually it says it is OK. Then I get a warning about a RAM disk and image being rebuilt, followed by the warning I mentioned above that I'm unable to catch and finally the command prompt. Once I log in as root I can confirm there is network connectivity and that the PC obtains an IP.

Thanks!

kenn10

Reaction score
Are you installing IncrediblePBX with FreePBX or are you doing the Xivo IncrediblePBX install?

Post which NUC you are using (Model, processor, ram, operating system, etc.) and give @wardmundy time to respond to this. He did a full tutorial on the NUC and Incredible PBX. See http://nerdvittles.com/?p=15048

Using the NUC myself at work, I find that the NUC5xx and NUC6xx units can be challenging if the memory and drivers aren't exactly right. I run Windows 10 Pro on my NUC's so I can't comment on how Centos or Debian would work on them.

I also know there are some quirks with the USB thumb drive where once Linux loads, the device address can change. I've always loaded my NUC's using a USB DVD drive.

Last edited:

broadcastguy

Reaction score
I tried the Xivo install, and while it worked, there were definitely some quirks. I was far more comfortable with the FreePBX version of Incredible PBX.

It would appear I'm using on of the challenging units - NUC5CPYH. It has the Intel Celeron N3050 chip, 8 GB of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3L-1600 Mhz RAM and I'm using a Kingston 120 GB uv400 SSD. I suppose the next step would be to use Windows 10, although since it's not an extremely powerful NUC, I was hoping to use it exclusively for the PBX without having to use virtualization.

Thank you for the reply and I am in no rush at all - would just like to see a resolution at some point.

broadcastguy

Reaction score
It's the ISO version of the installer, so Scientific Linux 6.7 (which I believe is the same as CentOS 6.7?).

kenn10

Reaction score
SL should be the same except for logos. I've previously installed on NUC 5i5 units and NUC 5i3 units at work just for testing CentOS. Each version of NUC had different issues that required studying forums for CentOS and Googling. They can be very frustrating if not using Windows. I just wish Intel would make things a little more consistent on those otherwise excellent little machines.

broadcastguy

Reaction score
I'm starting to become a pro at scouring the net and forums for answers. I try my best not to post -- only if get really stumped.

I might just have to toss this PBX into the cloud with one of my ImpactVPS VPS'. I can always use the NUC for another purpose. I was just hoping to keep the PBX local.

broadcastguy

Reaction score
Thank you @kenn10! I appreciate your efforts. I have decided to abandon this as I'm getting far too frustrated -- despite following the instructions and attempting to install Incredible PBX manually, I'm still getting errors. The NUC can be re-purposed.

I will instead forge on and learn everything I can about XiVO. It is making me realize how dependent I was on the FreePBX GUI -- certainly not a good thing.

Again, thank you for your help.

kenn10

Reaction score
No problem. Wish it had worked out better for the NUC!

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
ESXi is challenging on his NUC model. It can be done, but I don't think I'd recommend it for an ESXi newbie.

Last edited:

broadcastguy

Reaction score
You'd be amazed what I've accomplished over the last 2 years. I'd be up for that challenge. I do really like XiVO on ImpactVPS so far, however. I'm only having issues troubleshooting the incoming voice quality (outgoing is beyond excellent, compared to my FreePBX setup), despite forwarding ports to handsets, etc. I'll open a new thread for that issue, though. Thanks for the tips, folks! Always appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.