SOLVED Incredible PBX 13.2 will not install or run properly in VirtualBox 5.1

markiper

Reaction score
It has been quite some time since I post a question to the community. I am a long time follower (from the time of Asterisk@Home) who really has not had the need of an upgrade to his system for quite some time; my production server is running PiaF 1.7.x.x, and still working, but the hardware is starting to show some problems.

I have decided to use a NUC PC (Windows 10 Pro host) and install VirtualBox 5.1 to create a virtual PiaF server that will replace my old hardware. I am quite familiar with VirtualBox; I run all my video (Mythbuntu, Plex, Emby, Kodi) and data (FTP, Web, Pydio) virtual servers on a single i7 core (32GB RAM) Dell XPS8500. I am no expert by any means, but I will consider myself an advanced user.

IncrediblePBX13.2 (both ISO and OVA files tested) has proven to be one system that has stopped me in my tracks. Here are the issues I am facing:

1. If using any of the 2 ISO files (traditional and the one listed for virtualbox only), the installations stops at "Configure Google Voice for (1) Plaintext or (2) OAuth2 authentication?" As soon as the installation gets to this point, I cannot choose either option, the system is still responding, but seems like either one of the 2 options are not available. Here is a link to the error: http://imgur.com/a/9m6TO

2. If I use the OVA file (IncrediblePBX13-12.2-SL67-VirtualBox), importing the machine is a success. I complete the updates tot he system without a problem and I am able to browse the PiaF web interface from a computer on my local network; but as soon as I reboot the VM once (after all the installation and proper updates have been completed), the PiaF web interface does not show any of the statics upon login to the administration panel; and if I make any selection from any of the FreePBX Menus, I am asked for my credentials and immediately brought back to the 3 icons showing administration, UCP and a third option I do not remember.

I have browse through the forums, but nothing similar to what I am experiencing, so I must ask the community for some help. In the first case, my only option is that IncrediblePBX has not been tested with VirtualBox 5.1 and there is something in VirtualBox 5 that is causing the error; what version of VirtualBox should I use or is the recommended one? In the second case, I have no idea (have not done any wireshark traces yet) why is the system responding in such a way. I have built and deleted 3 VM already and the problem is 100% reproducible. Create a VM under virtualbox using the OVA, follow the tutorial line by line without any changes to bring the system up to the latest patches. Browse PiaF web interface once (make changes or not is irrelevant), then reboot the system. Upon rebooting the system, the we interface only shows the big logo for Incredible PBX but no statistics (making any menu selection in FreePBX only propmpts me for the administrative username and password, but cannot browse any configuration parameter). It seems to me as if my client PC is being blocked by the server. I have even tried going to webmin and disabling fail2ban without success.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Have you tried pressing 1 or 2 and then hitting the ENTER key? On some platforms, the 1 or 2 doesn't echo to the screen.

markiper

Reaction score
I absolutely did, it is a hit and miss. If you check the screen capture, I had just pressed 2 and hit ENTER, apparently the option took, but the installer automatically came back with a message of " GV password setup: invalid" and brought me back to the original selection of (1) Plaintext or (2) OAuth2.

I am going to re-download the ISO just in case there is something that got corrupted, and try again.

markiper

Reaction score
Downloaded ISO again today; now I saw a different message and the installation continued:

"GV password setup: OAuth2"
If this option is correct press any key to continue, otherwise press ctrl+c ...

pressing any key allowed me to move forward with the installation, but I am not sure this is the expected behavior for the installer, could one of the gurus, please confirm?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Should be fine. Did the install not complete successfully??

markiper

Reaction score
Left the installer running, and seems like the installation completed successfully. Now to test some of the requirements I have in order to move from my old server to a new platform, the main concern I have is supporting a multi-tenant type deployment. The old platform supported the FreepBX Module called custom-context that made it possible to accomplish a simple muti-tenant system. I am not sure how this new platform will work with such module (if it still works), or what other solution do I have.

markiper

Reaction score
Maybe a little more details for anyone encountering this problem. I was installing IncrediblePBX on a machine at a remote connection via RDP. The machine I am using to install a configure the system remotely is a laptop connected to a docking station. After pulling my hair for some time (only during the installation process), I decided to undock the laptop to see if using the keyboard and pad from the laptop will cause any issues. surprise, suprise !!! The issue might have been my fault all along, seems like during the installation process, if done remotely via RDP (Windows 10 Pro as the host, Virtualbox 5.1), the installer does not like (or have some issues) with USB devices connected to the laptop that I am using for configuration. When I use the keyboard and mouse pad from the laptop directly, the installation (meu selection, etc) went very smooth, no hiccups.

Uncle Ward (@wardmundy) , sorry, it was me all along, so I figure I will post a final note to this post in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
I've seen this numerous times on 13.2 as well. Have tried this install on no less than 4 small SBC systems this week.. same dead identical issue on each one.

Have swapped RAM, computers, hard drives, keyboards, power supplies.
Finally narrowed it down to having onboard audio enabled. apparently SL doesn't like this.
ANY semblance of documentation would've saved me a good 10 hours.. I'm not going to say how I really feel about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.