NEW Incredible 16-15.2 for CentOS 7

Jeremy Johnson

Reaction score
I can't seem to get this installer to work fully. Local ESXi 6.5 Install. Host server has 96GB of RAM and 2 6 core HT XEON Processors. (24 total logical processors)
Problem #1 - Cent OS 7 minimal doesn't enable the network by default. I know that's a no brainer, but who builds a headless server with no network?
Problem #2 - Even with 4 cores, and 4GB of RAM, this install takes an eternity.
Problem #3 - It appeared as if all of the packages being installed were for much older linux distros. (don't we undo security patches when we're installing old kernels onto new os's?)
Problem #4 - Once the install was finished, neither Asterisk nor UCP came online.
Problem #5 - Forcing the install to rerun by commenting out the bit that checks for a certain folder, doesn't fix it. Just keeps failing. So many errors along the way, I have no idea which are normal status probes and which are actual errors to be addressed.

This for me is just testing, I do have to move my PBX to the bigger server as the little one I presently have it on is getting bogged down. I was hoping to upgrade in the process, but will be just fine with moving the existing Virtual Machine.

I know a pile of work went into creating this massive script, but I don't think the status checks along the way are particularly accurate for Cent OS 7. It starts off with a ton of permission denied "touch" attempts of numerous proc files. Aren't process id's dynamic? Being unable to find a specific process id shouldn't mean much? Should it?

I also am highly aware the use of Asterisk is well, niche at this point. All of the major providers have built their own software (or so their marketing departments claim). So I am not quite sure where the development resources are coming from here. Hosting services come and go, for this to even come close to commercial viability one has to be premise based. Or have deep enough pockets to pay for and configure their own GCP or AWS services. Then you throw in the fact that verbal communication itself is kind of going away, in a world where you can get more accurate info looking it up your self verses calling a company employee who doesn't understand what you're asking for. Long drawn out way of saying, I understand why newer versions are problematic.

I am hoping someone else in these 10 pages of posts has solved this. IF they have, maybe post a vanilla working OVA? Maybe has an idea which logs to check?

I also should mention my dns is Pi Hole, if any of these packages are on known ad servers, that may be my root cause. I can change my DNS and try again, but it takes so long I don't want to do that in vain.

kenn10

Reaction score
I can't speak to ESXi but on my clouds running SolusVM, everything installed in about 15 minutes.

Denied touch attempts are common and are usually resolved later in the install process.

Eliad

Reaction score
Local Proxmox VM install it takes me about 30 min. No issues if you start the install with Centos7 minimal iso.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I can't seem to get this installer to work fully. Local ESXi 6.5 Install. Host server has 96GB of RAM and 2 6 core HT XEON Processors. (24 total logical processors)
Problem #1 - Cent OS 7 minimal doesn't enable the network by default. I know that's a no brainer, but who builds a headless server with no network?
Problem #3 - It appeared as if all of the packages being installed were for much older linux distros. (don't we undo security patches when we're installing old kernels onto new os's?)
Problem #4 - Once the install was finished, neither Asterisk nor UCP came online.
Problem #5 - Forcing the install to rerun by commenting out the bit that checks for a certain folder, doesn't fix it. Just keeps failing. So many errors along the way, I have no idea which are normal status probes and which are actual errors to be addressed.

This for me is just testing, I do have to move my PBX to the bigger server as the little one I presently have it on is getting bogged down. I was hoping to upgrade in the process, but will be just fine with moving the existing Virtual Machine.

I know a pile of work went into creating this massive script, but I don't think the status checks along the way are particularly accurate for Cent OS 7. It starts off with a ton of permission denied "touch" attempts of numerous proc files. Aren't process id's dynamic? Being unable to find a specific process id shouldn't mean much? Should it?

I also am highly aware the use of Asterisk is well, niche at this point. All of the major providers have built their own software (or so their marketing departments claim). So I am not quite sure where the development resources are coming from here. Hosting services come and go, for this to even come close to commercial viability one has to be premise based. Or have deep enough pockets to pay for and configure their own GCP or AWS services. Then you throw in the fact that verbal communication itself is kind of going away, in a world where you can get more accurate info looking it up your self verses calling a company employee who doesn't understand what you're asking for. Long drawn out way of saying, I understand why newer versions are problematic.

I am hoping someone else in these 10 pages of posts has solved this. IF they have, maybe post a vanilla working OVA? Maybe has an idea which logs to check?

I also should mention my dns is Pi Hole, if any of these packages are on known ad servers, that may be my root cause. I can change my DNS and try again, but it takes so long I don't want to do that in vain.

Sorry you're having trouble. Let me try to answer some of your concerns.

1. Couldn't agree more, but that's the way CentOS packages have been for at least the past several releases. You can configure a network as part of the install. Just follow the steps in the tutorial.
2. If it's taking more than an hour, something is terribly wrong with your network or ESXi setup.
3. We install only CentOS 7 packages from the CentOS 7 and epel repo for CentOS 7.
4. See #2.
5. Error logs are available in /root if you wish to review.
6. Permission denied touch attempts are harmless. Asterisk is very temperamental about file stamps so we set them on every possible file before beginning the Asterisk install. Obviously, there are many files where the time stamp cannot be reset so those get skipped and produce the errors you are seeing.
7. Commercial viability has never been our objective. A stable platform has, and we have over 100,000 happy campers with Incredible PBX. And speaking of commercial viability, the latest ESXi is not ready for prime time IMHO.
8. Try installing on Vultr. It won't cost you a thing using the coupon at the top of the Nerd Vittles main page. It will give you a point of reference to compare against your ESXi platform. :)

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score

It's been so long since I actually installed CentOS7 (usually start with a virgin, already installed image), I downloaded the current minimal iso and ran from scratch.

For ESXI 6.5 on an i3 NUC6 it took 69 minutes from start to finish in a single CPU VM. This is based on the time stamps from the freshly downloaded iso and the completed install log. Time is inclusive of uploading the iso to the datastore, creating the VM, etc, I accepted all vmware and CentOS defaults with the exception of enabling networking in the CentOS install.

I wasn't staring at the screen waiting the whole time, so probably at least 10 minutes or so of dead time the install was waiting on me to start phase 2, notice the iso download was complete, notice CentOS was finished installing, etc.

I followed the directions to the letter, even where I would normally stray.

Aaron Outhier

Santa's helper (subordinate Claus)
Reaction score
When I try to get a list of updated modules for the CentOS version, I get a PHP Puke, and the following is added to the FreePBX log file:

[2019-Aug-10 17:36:14] [freepbx.INFO]: Invalid Response from Mirror server: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <html><head> <title>404 Not Found</title> </head><body> <h1>Not Found</h1> <p>The requested URL /all-15.0.xml was not found on this server.</p> <p>Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</p> </body></html>
[2019-Aug-10 17:36:42] [freepbx.INFO]: Invalid Response from Mirror server: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <html><head> <title>404 Not Found</title> </head><body> <h1>Not Found</h1> <p>The requested URL /all-15.0.xml was not found on this server.</p> <p>Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</p> </body></html>

Aaron Outhier

Santa's helper (subordinate Claus)
Reaction score
It is very similar to the PHP Puke that I get when I try to remove any module.

andrewbyrd70

Reaction score
Here is my experience with Vitalpbx
I have used FREEPBX for years - minor resolveable issues.
Vitalpbx installs fast, has a clean looking GUI, has a great back up option
But all this is pointless if your PJSIP extensions won't register with hard devices such as a common Yealink T29g or a Cisco SPA 525 G2. It shows a "green" registration on the phone itself, but is not really registered. The logs indicate a problem
I sent those logs to Migues with Vitalpbx. They can't figure it out. I wasted too much time trying to get it to work so I abandoned it for now. I am sure somewhere down the road they will figure it out.
In the meantime, there auto provisioning does NOT support PJSIP. Unreal! A technology like PJSIP which is quickly replacing chansip should have been first priority. They keep saying next release.
But that is pointless anyway if you can easily register a pjsip extension.
My advice to those starting up or even advanced users - stick with Freepbx or even Fusionpbx (based on Freeswitch). These platforms are much more stable, reliable, dependable and have really developed pjsip as part of their infrastructure.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
With a cautionary note to proceed at your own risk, CentOS 7 should be fine. We're using it. If this is cloud-based, I wouldn't attempt it on an OpenVZ platform. KVM provides an important, extra layer of protection with ipset. We're not seeing any break-in attempts:
Code:
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination        

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain f2b-ASTERISK (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          

Chain f2b-BadBots (1 references)

Chain f2b-SSH (1 references)

Chain f2b-asterisk-udp (1 references)

CrownCloud is a bargain at $25/year with a free snapshot.

ECb_Sz9XYAUnm2o

Last edited:

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks @wardmundy!, I'm using a KVM from FreeRangeCloud. BTW, the LEBEGG30 discount key was broken. Asked them and they fixed it for all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.