NEW Incredible 16-15.2 for CentOS 7

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@kenn10: You mentioned having to rename the .wav file to .WAV. Did both the .wav and .WAV files not get restored onto your 16-15 server??

kenn10

Reaction score
@kenn10: You mentioned having to rename the .wav file to .WAV. Did both the .wav and .WAV files not get restored onto your 16-15 server??
Only the .wav files were restored. I had not noticed until I was testing voicemail on the 16-15 system. The voicemail settings of wav/wav49 were restored on the 16-15 system.

kenn10

Reaction score
Let me do another restore from the same backup just to be certain. I don't know where the files would have gone, however. I'll report back shortly.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@kenn10: Last question. Can you check the file sizes for the .WAV and .wav files on the 13-13 platform and the .wav file that was restored to 16-15. I've got a feeling the 13-13 .WAV file was restored to 16-15 as a .wav file. Otherwise, my testing suggests that renaming it to .WAV would not have worked without having both a .wav and .WAV file on the 16-15 platform.

kenn10

Reaction score
@kenn10: Last question. Can you check the file sizes for the .WAV and .wav files on the 13-13 platform and the .wav file that was restored to 16-15. I've got a feeling the 13-13 .WAV file was restored to 16-15 as a .wav file. Otherwise, my testing suggests that renaming it to .WAV would not have worked without having both a .wav and .WAV file on the 16-15 platform.
Now the restore to the 16-15 system won't work. I'm rebooting. I have not downloaded the restore-fix since yesterday so it won't have your fixes from today. I'll see if I can get it to run again.

kenn10

Reaction score
OK. Before I did the restore, I deleted the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/<extensions> to insure there was nothing there. I rebooted, ran the Restore against the original 13-13 backup I had used to set up the 16-15 system. I restored. I ran the restore-fix script. Everything is there but there are no voicemail files restored. They are definitely in the 13-13 backup file.

Now I'm trying to remember if they were ever there and I used WinSCP to copy them. Someone else needs to test this as well to verify whether the voicemail files get restored to the 16-15 system. I could wipe the VM and start from scratch to see but don't have time to do that right now.

kenn10

Reaction score
I did an incredible restore to the original 16-15 image with extension 701-705 in it. This was the fresh install before any mods. Looking at the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default directory, there was no voice mail file for extension 701. I don't know if that is intentional or not.

Then I restored the 13-13 backup again. All proceeded as expected but the only mention of voicemail in the restore is:
Code:
Processing voicemail
Resetting voicemail
Dropping table voicemail_admin...Done
Updating tables voicemail_admin...Done
OPERATOR_XTN added
VM_OPTS added
VM_GAIN added
VM_DDTYPE added
VMX_OPTS_LOOP added
VMX_OPTS_DOVM added
VMX_TIMEOUT added
VMX_REPEAT added
VMX_LOOPS added
Generating CSS...Done
Restoring from voicemail [FreePBX\modules\Voicemail\Restore]
Importing Databases from voicemail
Importing table 'voicemail_admin' from legacy voicemail
Importing Advanced Settings from voicemail
Done

No voicemail files were restored. So I guess in all the back and forth, I had copied them using WinSCP. It appears that the restore process did not restore the voicemail files.

kenn10

Reaction score
Also looking at the 13-13 system, I see that there are symbolic links created in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/deviice/ for each extension number and the links point to the directory for the extension in /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/. I don't know if these are essential or not. Again, all this is in the 13-13 backup file I was using to restore to 16-15. See below:

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 asterisk asterisk 42 Jun 19 07:56 2010 -> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2010
lrwxrwxrwx 1 asterisk asterisk 42 Jun 30 10:33 2011 -> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2011
lrwxrwxrwx 1 asterisk asterisk 42 Jun  6 15:12 2017 -> /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/2017

kenn10

Reaction score
@wardmundy One more pain point. WinSCP thinks that unavail.wav and unavail.WAV are the same file and copies unavail.WAV on top of unavail.wav Thus the reason I didn't have all the files on the 16-15 system and they didn't work because the system was tring to decode a .wav file that was really a .WAV file. That is why changing the file name on the 16-15 system from .wav to .WAV fixed the issue.. I ended up taring my /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail directory on the 13-13 system and un-taring on the 16-15 system. All works as expected.

So it sounds like the 16-15 restore just needs to untar those files from the backup and all will be good.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@wardmundy One more pain point. WinSCP thinks that unavail.wav and unavail.WAV are the same file and copies unavail.WAV on top of unavail.wav Thus the reason I didn't have all the files on the 16-15 system and they didn't work because the system was tring to decode a .wav file that was really a .WAV file. That is why changing the file name on the 16-15 system from .wav to .WAV fixed the issue.. I ended up taring my /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail directory on the 13-13 system and un-taring on the 16-15 system. All works as expected.

So it sounds like the 16-15 restore just needs to untar those files from the backup and all will be good.

I think that's right. Unfortunately, the backup is on the desktop PC and we need it on the Linux side.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
A word of caution here, Windows has different line endings than linux and a different understanding about the case of a file's name.

This might explain both the WAV/wav problem of Windows/WinSCP and the incorrectly unresolved /n 's not seen as line endings.

For reliability, only rely on on a bash shell to mess with all this .

Luckily there is an easy to install functional "Windoze Linux Subsystem" providing a "bash shell" and available a couple of minutes away from those using good old MS$ ;-)

the bash "file somename.WAV" v "file "somename.wav" would identify which is which and asterisk has a built in file converter if you get too deep.

kenn10

Reaction score
A word of caution here, Windows has different line endings than linux and a different understanding about the case of a file's name.

This might explain both the WAV/wav problem of Windows/WinSCP and the incorrectly unresolved /n 's not seen as line endings.

For reliability, only rely on on a bash shell to mess with all this .

Luckily there is an easy to install functional "Windoze Linux Subsystem" providing a "bash shell" and available a couple of minutes away from those using good old MS$ ;-)

the bash "file somename.WAV" v "file "somename.wav" would identify which is which and asterisk has a built in file converter if you get too deep.
That is why I ultimately tarred the voicemail directory on the 13-13 system, downloaded it to the 16-15 system and untarred it. This process properly captured all the files and symlinks and correctly put them on the 16-15 system. I believe Ward already said that the indications file problems were due to FreePBX database corruption unrelated to the backups. WinSCP does an excellent job of moving Linux tar.gz files from one machine to another. This issue today was because I had copied unzipped individual files from Linux to Windows and back to Linux.

The fact remains that the FreePBX 15 restore process did not restore the voicemail directory even though it was contained in the 13-13 backup file. This is not a huge deal on a small home system but if people want to convert large systems, it will take some special handling if the automated restore process does not work correctly.

Tar does allow the extraction of a single file or directory from a larger backup file so perhaps another routine can be added to extract the voicemail directory from the backup file being restored.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Is anyone opening FreePBX tickets for these issues?

Haven't spoken to a Sangoma employee in over 5 years so it probably won't be me. But I'm curious. Who do you think is left at Sangoma that could fix these issues??

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@kenn10: OK. I've sorted out restoring the voicemail data. It turns out FreePBX 15 puts a copy of the restored 13-13 backup tarball in /var/spool/asterisk/backup/uploads so it was pretty easy to add the necessary code to the restore-fix script to recover the voicemail stuff. Just download and untar newbackup16-15.tar.gz, and you'll have the modified restore-fix to run at the completion of a restore.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Haven't spoken to a Sangoma employee in over 5 years so it probably won't be me. But I'm curious. Who do you think is left at Sangoma that could fix these issues??
I'll admit to being a drive-by observer on this, and may be conflating threads, but I thought at least some of this is fixing what the FBPX15 restore gets wrong .

Anything IPBX specific I wouldn't put on them, but if not restoring VM correctly, etc I would. They can't workaround all potential third party module issues, but OSS EPM is probably the #1 third party module, I would suggest they should at least gracefully warn it was skipped over and not bomb out.

kenn10

Reaction score
@jerrm FreePBX has never really supported importing data from older versions. For them, it has always been that you should upgrade FreePBX incrementally as they progress to new framework and releases. That process generally dealt with database changes and upgraded modules. This legacy restore functionality was a new feature in the beta stage before the long-term FreePBX people left Sangoma. I'm not saying it won't get fixed if someone puts in a ticket but it is more a matter of when and how well. Also, the guy who supported the OSS has not maintained it in years and it is open source that FreePBX does not maintain. They have their commercial provisioning module which has been their focus for years.

I have little belief that a lot of Sangoma time will be spent on the open source version of FreePBX. Sadly, when commercial interests take over open source projects, making money is always more important. There is no profit in writing and maintaining a free distribution. The beauty of open source is that anyone can make changes. Those who actually have the skills to work with the FreePBX code probably need to engage at this point. I am not someone with those skills.

You get what you pay for and for many years, we've gotten a ton of great things from the FreePBX team for zero money. I believe those days have now ended.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
@jerrm FreePBX has never really supported importing data from older versions.
It's been a primary v15 feature in virtually every mention of v15, I can't beleive they will release a v15 without the feature, regardless of turnover issues.

Well aware of OSS EPM status and would never expect them to restore, but at least failing gracefully would be in their own interests, if only to reduce support tickets. I'm sure a fair number of distro users are using OSS EPM.

kenn10

Reaction score
I have submitted the following bug reports on FreePBX 15. Please do the same for issues you find. These tickets will benchmark how fast things progress on FreePBX 15 fixes.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@jerrm: The scuttlebutt I've heard about FreePBX 15 suggests that they have almost 2 man-years of programming time invested in just the backup & restore module trying to get imports from FreePBX 13 working properly. I think @kenn10 and I are probably the first and only folks that are actually shaking the kinks out of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.