RECOMMENDATIONS In need of a good way to connect my analog phones into my system

CapnBio

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a way to connect my analog phone as part of my pbx system, but the hardware that is recommended is a bit pricy. Are there more gateways that are compatible with incredible pbx?

Just need an affordable solution to get for the company, and wireless phones are a must.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
@CapnBio An Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) is the simplest way to provide support for analog phones.

There are several different and very capable devices to choose from: somewhat dated, but quite functional is the Linksys PAP2T-NA which provides two analog FXS (station) ports, or the Grandstream 701 provides one FXS. The Grandstream 702 or 704 provide two or four FSX analog ports respectively. All of these ATAs can be acquired via eBay. HOWEVER - be careful of purchasing an ATA that has been previously locked to a VoIP service provider - they may be impossible to configure to take advantage of your ownVoIP server.

Also, and preferred by many here, are the OBiHAI products - OBi200 provides a single FXS, the OBi202 provides two analog ports.

/Pete./

Last edited:

CapnBio

Reaction score
My best bet would be to get an unlocked PAP2T if I had gotten that one, but I do greatly appreciate the recommendation

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
My best bet would be to get an unlocked PAP2T if I had gotten that one, but I do greatly appreciate the recommendation

Be careful, I've got some unlocked Pap2T's that I'm replacing. Turns out there's a lot of chinese fakes on the market (these usually work fine, but then weird stuff can occur). For singles, I've been going with the GXP701's (the allow auto-provisioning with a specific port, but that linksys do not). I've been using the GXP7xx series, but the new GXP802 - 2 port looks pretty neat and I'll be checking it out soon.

CapnBio

Reaction score
Where can I find one of those? I can't seem to find them online. The GXP802

CapnBio

Reaction score
Got it, thanks for the link, I needed that I just might buy this one instead.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
I believe the model number is actually HT802 and not GXP802.
Sorry ... I've been using the IP phones from Grandstream - they all begin with "GXP" ... More information on the Grandstream options here: http://bit.ly/2jWwoC1.

@CapnBio - I think you'll find this to work well to support your existing analog phones.

Be aware of the "dial plan" for Grandstream devices, though ... and typically the need to append numbers dialed with a "#" ... or wait four seconds for the phone and iPBX to accept that you've dialed all of the digits intended. DO study the "dial plan" section of the user guide ...

/P./

CapnBio

Reaction score
Sorry ... I've been using the IP phones from Grandstream - they all begin with "GXP" ... More information on the Grandstream options here: http://bit.ly/2jWwoC1.

@CapnBio - I think you'll find this to work well to support your existing analog phones.

Be aware of the "dial plan" for Grandstream devices, though ... and typically the need to append numbers dialed with a "#" ... or wait four seconds for the phone and iPBX to accept that you've dialed all of the digits intended. DO study the "dial plan" section of the user guide ...

/P./

Thanks! I think I'll go with the HT802 since I like the size, I think it's something I want to go with for the simplicity, but I'll research more about the 'dial plan' just so I can be informed about it.

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
wireless phones are a must
You can also use your Android smartphone with one of the SIP Apps such as CsipSimple or whatever by connecting over wifi by IPaddress. See also wardmundy post quoted below, but whilst I have used android as a wifi extension, I have not bothered to implemented the bluetooth or poroximity yet?

Let me just document what we did to get our Bluetooth Proximity Detection Utility working.

For those that weren't around four years ago, this utility lets you pair your cellphone with your Raspberry Pi. Once you've gone through the setup procedure, the utility will detect when you arrive in your home/office and when you leave AND forward/unforward calls to extension 701 automatically.

CapnBio

Reaction score
You can also use your Android smartphone with one of the SIP Apps such as CsipSimple or whatever by connecting over wifi by IPaddress. See also wardmundy post quoted below, but whilst I have used android as a wifi extension, I have not bothered to implemented the bluetooth or poroximity yet?

Right, but it wouldn't look so great when we have clients walking in when they see that we're on our cellphones and think that our phones are more important than they are, typically there really is no explanation for that. I think it would be better with the analog phones. Though it is a great idea thanks for suggesting it. But at home I do use it, since it is better than having an analog phone.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Be careful, I've got some unlocked Pap2T's that I'm replacing. Turns out there's a lot of chinese fakes on the market (these usually work fine, but then weird stuff can occur). For singles, I've been going with the GXP701's (the allow auto-provisioning with a specific port, but that linksys do not). I've been using the GXP7xx series, but the new GXP802 - 2 port looks pretty neat and I'll be checking it out soon.

Sorry - my bad, I'm so used to saying GXP, I forget at times the ATA's are HT. And yes - I've used Grandstream ATA's for regular analog fax. That all depends on your internet connection AND YOUR carrier. If you go with someone like t38fax.com - you'll get very good results.

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
I have an ObiHai 202 that I'm no longer using. PM if you are interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.