NO JOY If IVR Answers, no 180 is sent...

Stewart

Guru
Reaction score
I have a client that has been using the Grandstream GXW-4108 for several years now and works pretty well but always has problems calling us. It just sits at dead air as it goes through the IVR until the timeout sends it to a ring group. Never really cared about it, but we recently installed another 4108 and it's having the same issue. The Asterisk box isn't sending out 180 ringing before the IVR so I'm thinking the 4108 won't pick up until it gets the 180. Is there any way to force a 180 to be sent out before an IVR grabs an extension? I've thought about exiting the conf similar to this page, but I'm afraid reloading FreePBX will change it back at the next reload. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
post a cli trace.... don't believe the 180 is a requirement so it may just be the phone firmware. What provider is the customer using...? Some trunks and routes don't return a 180.

For example Anveo:

-- Called anveo1/12014478000
-- SIP/anveo1-09e049b8 is making progress passing it to SIP/401-b7d3e740
-- SIP/anveo1-09e049b8 answered SIP/401-b7d3e740
-- Packet2Packet bridging SIP/401-b7d3e740 and SIP/anveo1-09e049b8

try the number yourself... 12014478000

Also under General settings on your box check Asterisk Dial command options and the "r" setting. You could also add a delay on the pickup of the IVR.... Play around with it a little.

Stewart

Guru
Reaction score
The Asterisk box is performing exactly as it should so I'm not trying to troubleshoot a problem it is having. The Grandstream that is answering isn't a phone, it's an 8-port FXO to tie another box into analog phone lines. I'm guessing it's listening for ringing in the analog ports before it picks up and bridges the call. Since my IVR answers and no 180 is needed or sent, no ringing is sent. Fair enough, but that means I need at least an initial ring sent before the IVR picks up so that FXO gateways that function like these Grandstreams do not have problems.

So the solution as I see it is to get the box to send a 180 or ring for at least 1 second before connecting to the IVR.
I've tried adding the "r" in the Dial Command Options but that didn't help. It will provide a ringing tone until the call is answered, but the IVR answers so no tone is sent.
I've tried sending it to a ring group with a non-existent extension that fails over to the IVR. (I didn't expect this to work)
I've tried sending it to a ring group with a non-registered extension that fails over to the IVR. (I didn't expect this to work either)
I've tried sending it to a ring group with a virutal extension that fails over to the IVR. (I had high hopes this could work, but no)

So far the only way I've found to do it is set up a generic extension, add a follow-me to a non-existent anything (I used the number "1") and set the Destination on Failure to the IVR. Any ideas how to do it where it isn't so ... um ... ridiculous?

EDIT: I also had to add the "r" in the Dial Command Options.

billsimon

Reaction score
The calls get to the IVR by way of an Inbound Route, correct? In the Inbound Route, you can set a Pause Before Answer as well as tick the box for Signal Ringing.

Stewart

Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, I've set up probably a couple hundred Inbound Routes in the last couple of years. How have I not noticed the signal RINGING option? Geesh!

Reaction score
That was going to be my next suggestion after I realized what path the call was taking... should have checked the grandstream number it would have noticed it wasn't a phone... There is always a "feature" hiding somewhere...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.