hylafax with frontend

james

Guru
Reaction score
maybe we can help freepbx integrate this to their main package..

tfunk

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! Avantfax/hylafax are incredible...if you can get them to work.

I'd love to see a simple way to get them up and running for PBX in a flash.

I can hardly wait to see the rest of the system! Whhoooohoooo!

gaijin

Guru
Reaction score
Is this recommended for pbx in a flash?

(let me rephrase)
Will this break my system or should I wait until one of the boys waves a magic scripting wand?

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

PiaF is just Centos with the appropriate dependencies in it including flite, then Asterisk 1.4 installed from source, then FreePBX installed over the top so that mere mortals can configure the system.

So you are welcome to add anything to it, and it should not break anything - and if you do break anything (on a non production system), just re-install - and if you have taken a backup from the FreePBX section, it will not take long to get back to where you were.

Tip for back up and restore:
Back up the whole system via FreePBX and call it "now", then pull down the tar file created from /var/lib/asterisk/backups/now using something like winscp if you are a windows user.

Create the new PBX, then do a backup, again call it "now" so the appropriate directories are created then upload the tar file.

You can then restore what you need to via the FreePBX interface.

A couple of caveats when creating new web interfaces for fax systems or anything which requires a web page etc.

Anything you put in as a FreePBX module in /var/www/admin/modules will not be protected by the database authorisation, so you would need to consider putting it in the maint directory where it is protected by .htaccess (maint /password by default)

You can then create a link to it from the FreePBX interface in the same way that I have created the Configedit / A2Billing Admin / PHPMyAdmin / sysinfo module links You should be able to work out how it has been done by inspection - this just makes it look like it look like a cohesive system.

The issue then is if you need to allow access to users without giving away the top level maintenance passwords.

I would recommend that you create a directory called users, give it the appropriate ownership (chown -R asterisk:asterisk /var/www/html/users) and permsisions then modify the httpd.conf file in /etc/pbx and by inspection you should be able to extend the .htaccess coverage for wwwadmin to your new user directory.

Anytime you edit httpd.conf, just issue the command httpd -k restart to let apache pick up the new settings.

Yours

Joe

duiventil

Reaction score
Hylafax+avantfax

There is a Trixbox distro with hylafax, avantfax and sambafax, at www.adminsparadise.com Maybe the same thing can be integrated with the nerd vittles trixbox version.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I tried to get the distro, finally got at the link once I had turned off the pictures and just about everything else in Firefox - their website just makes my Computer come to a complete standstill with all the adverts and popups.

I'll have a look at this over the next few days, and see if we can't do something with it - unless someone can get there first ;-)

Joe

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I've also written the HylaFax folks and asked them to help us write a script to integrate their product into PBX in a Flash. Stay tuned!

kcallis

Reaction score
Hylafax

What a blast from the past... I can still remember my first installation on a SGI Crimson nearly 13 years ago...

noblenull

Reaction score
I've also written the HylaFax folks and asked them to help us write a script to integrate their product into PBX in a Flash. Stay tuned!

That's great news. It seems that since the guys at iFax took over AvantFax things have really been moving along.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.