TUTORIAL HylaFAX / AvantFax for PIAF! - Parts 1-4

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
AvantFax has been a big hit with us, so far the users like the idea of receiving faxes in their Exchange inbox :)

Thanks to Apache's Authentication modules, I even got AvantFax authenticating users through Active Directory.

Would a small howto be of interest?
Perhaps a new thread would be in order.
How To: AvantFax Active Directory Authentication?

oneadvent

Reaction score
I installed this a long time ago but it stopped working. It shows my iaxmodems online, but it never seems to dial.

They all show idle, and they never dial, it just kinda sits there. They all show okay in iax2 show peers.
I am running hylafax-4.4.4-1rhel5 and AvantFAX® 3.1.6. I'm not sure how to update either of them. Oh and I'm running Asterisk 1.4.39.1 and Dahdi Source Version : 2.4.0+2.4.0 if that helps.

How can I check on this? I want to get it working again.

deano

Reaction score
inbound route via zap

Hi All,

I have this great solution running. Works wonderful. My install is older and I want to seperate my Zap ports a little.

I am using a sangoma and want to specify the first 2 zap channels inbound for only fax and the other for voice. I see how I could do this if I had DID's, but would rather do it via the hard Zap channels.

can someone point me in the right direction. I know it has something to do with context, just don't understand to that level.

Thanks

P.S. also, will the install scripts be upgraded to work and install with purple? I don't want to do the incredible at this point as there is just too many extra's for what I need.

Thanks

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

The fax extensions are only extensions, so what you require is trivial.

You can use the Zap channel DID module to achieve your aims.

Yours

Joe

deano

Reaction score
I don't think I was very clear.

I need to be able to tell PSTN line 1 on Zap channel 5 to go to the fax_in inbound route and the PSTN line 2 on Zap channel 6 to go to an Extension voicemail or IVR.

right now the inbound calls for all zap channels to to the same route. I can't use the DID routing because I don't want it to use the callerID.

Thanks for the help.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I don't think I was very clear.

I need to be able to tell PSTN line 1 on Zap channel 5 to go to the fax_in inbound route and the PSTN line 2 on Zap channel 6 to go to an Extension voicemail or IVR.

right now the inbound calls for all zap channels to to the same route. I can't use the DID routing because I don't want it to use the callerID.

Thanks for the help.
Just leave the CID field blank. It will match all calls with that DID and route them to the appropriate destination that you select. Just go to ZAP Channel DIDs and assign a DID to each ZAP channel. In the DID field for the inbound route, create routes appropriately.

deano

Reaction score
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I just don't understand.

in the trunk, i can define the zap channel. but this seems to be for outbound only. on the inbound, i can only define DID's

The question still remains, how can i separate 4 PSTNS to go to voice IVR's or fax iaxmodems.

I currently have it set for all lines to go to the iaxmodems.

Thanks

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
In FreePBX, go to Setup>Inbound Call Control>ZAP Channel DIDs
Click "Add New Channel"
Type the requested information in for each channel
Submit Changes
Repeat until all channels entered
Apply Configuration Changes
Setup>Inbound Call Control>Inbound Routes
New Inbound Route
Set the DID field to the appropriate ZAP Channel DID that you want to change where it goes

deano

Reaction score
ok, now I get it. There is a note that I have to change the context to from-zaptel. where is that done?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
ok, now I get it. There is a note that I have to change the context to from-zaptel. where is that done?
Are you using Zaptel or DAHDI? (Or what color PIAF are you running)

deano

Reaction score
Sorry, it's an older box running asterisk 1.4.26.1 with zaptel 1.4.12.1

I have tested your suggestion and it looks like the zapata.conf file already had from-zaptel configured.

Thanks for the great quick help.

deano

Reaction score
upgrading

Hi Again All,

I have a system running on these scripts for 2 years now and it works great. I usually don't like to upgrade things but am considering a major upgrade.

Currently the system is running 1.4 with freepbx at 2.5.

So, has anyone upgraded the freepbx without issue?

Also, has anyone upgraded the hylafax and avantfax with out issue?

Lastly, I want to move this client to 1.8 to provide new paths. What is the status on the install of this on the new Purple?

Thanks

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
aint_broke_bear_postcard-p239718736633225162qibm_400.jpg

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Hi Again All,

I have a system running on these scripts for 2 years now and it works great. I usually don't like to upgrade things but am considering a major upgrade.

Currently the system is running 1.4 with freepbx at 2.5.

So, has anyone upgraded the freepbx without issue?

Also, has anyone upgraded the hylafax and avantfax with out issue?

Lastly, I want to move this client to 1.8 to provide new paths. What is the status on the install of this on the new Purple?

Thanks

The Incredible Fax works on Purple for me.

I didn't and won't try to upgrade from 2.5 to 2.8. I have a purple at 2.8 and a silver at 2.6. Both work fine for what I need them to do.

I have upgraded Avantfax (not hylafax) to the latest version. Can't remember how for the life of me. I think I'm at 3.3.3 now.

ghurty

Reaction score
I have used the instructions numerous times to great success. Thank you very much for them.

However today was the first time i tried to install it on a hosted server. (the newest 1.6)

Everything looks like it went through properly, however the fax modem say please wait, even after a reboot.

When I checked the hylafax server in webmin, while it allows me to configure the four fax modems, it does not list them in the status section in the top left.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reaction score
Uninstall it ?

Hi i tried it didnt work as expected in my system , its there a way to uninstall it ?

Thanks.

nunya

Reaction score
Problem sending the fax

I used the incrediblefax script on a previous install. Through a comedy of trial and error, I was able to send faxes successfully. I was not able to receive.

On to today... I did a fresh install of purple. Ran the incrediblepbx. (Note I used the beta 2.x) The installation went well.
Then I ran the incrediblefax script. The installation went well.
I followed the configuration directions at the head of this ginormous thread.
With a dedicated fax trunk, I am able to receive faxes and get them all the way to my inbox with great success. Now, I'm back to this error I had to cope with before:
sendfax: Password:Login failed: 500 'PASS ': Syntax error, expecting password.
I don't want to butcher up this nice fresh install by doing something stupid. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this error when I try to sent from Avantfax?
The last time, I believe it had something to do with hosts.hfaxd ... but I can't say with certainty.

I'm losing my mind here.

FreePBX 2.8 Asterisk 1.8.5.0

More info, this is from Avantfax log:
24.08.2011 22:31Exec_sendfax error: Password:Login failed: 500 'PASS ': Syntax error, expecting password.
24.08.2011 22:31Exec_sendfax failed: /usr/bin/sendfax -R -n -o 'maint' -f '[email protected]' -d '800876XXXX' /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/3e6d22c60fax.txt

Apparently there was an issue with the incrediblefax script. I'm now sending and receiving via a dedicated trunk.

sekiur

Reaction score
I used the incrediblefax script on a previous install. Through a comedy of trial and error, I was able to send faxes successfully. I was not able to receive.

On to today... I did a fresh install of purple. Ran the incrediblepbx. (Note I used the beta 2.x) The installation went well.
Then I ran the incrediblefax script. The installation went well.
I followed the configuration directions at the head of this ginormous thread.
With a dedicated fax trunk, I am able to receive faxes and get them all the way to my inbox with great success. Now, I'm back to this error I had to cope with before:
sendfax: Password:Login failed: 500 'PASS ': Syntax error, expecting password.
I don't want to butcher up this nice fresh install by doing something stupid. Can anyone tell me why I'm getting this error when I try to sent from Avantfax?
The last time, I believe it had something to do with hosts.hfaxd ... but I can't say with certainty.

I'm losing my mind here.

FreePBX 2.8 Asterisk 1.8.5.0

More info, this is from Avantfax log:
24.08.2011 22:31Exec_sendfax error: Password:Login failed: 500 'PASS ': Syntax error, expecting password.
24.08.2011 22:31Exec_sendfax failed: /usr/bin/sendfax -R -n -o 'maint' -f '[email protected]' -d '800876XXXX' /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/3e6d22c60fax.txt

Apparently there was an issue with the incrediblefax script. I'm now sending and receiving via a dedicated trunk.
I found the problem. When you add a user, it is added to the top of the hosts.hfaxd file in the etc folder. This messes up the permissions. If you edit the hosts.hfaxd and at localhost and 127.0.0.1 to the top of the file, it fixes the problem.

BeerCan

Guru
Reaction score
Is there a preferred way to add users to avantfax? Or do we use the avantfax interface and re edit hosts.hfaxd. I would rather not give users the maint passwd :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.