GOOD NEWS Hump Day Special Alerts

mbellot

Reaction score
Very cool Ward.

I'm hoping everything will migrate relatively painlessly if we decide to move from a C-OS based Green to a SL-OS based Green...

Yes, no?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
All depends on what you mean "move"?

Q. Can we move existing Centos systems from centos to SL WITHOUT reinstalling?

A. Not likely. This is not on the PIAF Dev teams punchdown list. More important to get PIAF3 working with SL flawlessly first. (Minus the ISO..... but of course that is double top secret)

I am sure some enterprising souls will say "No Problems" and come up with some ingenious way of doing things....

Q. Is there any difference between piaf2 and piaf 3

A. NO! Other than the excision of Centos and replacing it with SL

Q. Do I have to upgrade?

A. NO! Most everything is the same except for the rebranding of PIAF2 to PIAF3. There are some differences in the installer and most of the programs have been expanded to recogize both Centos and SL (There are some minor differences)

Q. What is going to happen to PIAF2?

A. PIAF2 will be kept around for a while however there will be NO MORE ISO releases with Centos as the OS.

We are still thinking about a transition plan from PIAF2 to PIAF3. Note transition not upgrade.

Q. Is everything written in stone?

A. NO! We are still developing things

Q. I need this NOW! When will it be ready?

A. RSN (Real Soon Now) that being said Ward has released a PIAF3 PREVIEW version which should let you get your fix early.

Best regards

Flames ignored

Tom

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Sleep Tight Atlanta: The Mayor Has Activated the Snow Removal Fleet...

mbellot

Reaction score
All depends on what you mean "move"?

Q. Can we move existing Centos systems from centos to SL WITHOUT reinstalling?

A. Not likely. This is not on the PIAF Dev teams punchdown list. More important to get PIAF3 working with SL flawlessly first. (Minus the ISO..... but of course that is double top secret)

I assumed a fresh install.

When I said migrate I meant a FreePBX backup/restore from the CentOS based install to a new SL based install.

I wouldn't expect to be able to switch the underlying OS on a running box, way too many opportunities for catastrophic fun. :p

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
I understand however some people seem to think that this should be a feature............. Glad you get it.

Tom

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Installation went smooth, every thing seems to up and running, I moved our office system over to it using Incredible Backup 11 and all has tested good, I will see how it goes tomorrow I can always switch back in a couple minutes. VM's are great.

gary.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
The system has run smooth for 5 1/2 days with out anyone noticing any difference, all calls, voicemails, email notifications and fax box's worked perfect. I have now switched back to our original server but not for lacking anthing in this experament. Thanks to the PIAF team for another great asterisk server.

gary.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
How are system integrators and resellers going to handle the SL requirement on the new PIAF 3 that you can not use their repos/packages?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
At the hobbyist level, there's no restriction on use of SL repos/packages that we're aware of. As time permits, we probably will flush out our existing repo with the remaining packages, or create a mirrored repo of SL just as you have done, or we'll use another source. Restricting access to public repos through licensing mumbo jumbo is a slippery slope and cuts against everything the open Internet is all about.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Their own legal page says

Can my commercial company use Scientific Linux?

Yes See above answer.
If you are selling a product that uses Scientific Linux, you are required to change your yum and/or apt config files to point to your own Scientific Linux mirror and/or repository.
You must also abide by all trademark rules.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Embellished my initial response which addresses what you've alluded to. It's also worth remembering that, until one month ago, Schmooze Com, Digium, Elastix, and everybody else had done things in exactly the same way without objection from anybody for the better part of a decade. In our case, we believe we actually have and had permission to do what we we're doing with CentOS. And the CentOS trademark issue is still very much up in the air.

Re: "You must also abide by all trademark rules." None have been published, and we have sought clarification from the Scientific Linux Dev Team.

Apologies for :beatdeadhorse5:

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Well Schmooze has never used repos from another project. We have always from day 1 controlled our own repos. The only change we did was to remove all reference to the CentOS trademark as their requirement to do so was brought to our attention.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Ward

You did it again. Your intital reply said

"There's no restriction on use of SL repos/packages that we're aware of."

Which is why I replied the way I did. Now you edited your reply so my reply about their Legal page does not make sense. I really hate it when you edit a post to change the context 100% it makes everything below that reply look out of place.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I specifically told you I had corrected my initial response. When we ended our phone call, you indicated that you were leaving to address a database problem. I had no idea that you were posting two more messages. Nor had I seen them. With XenForo, new messages don't pop up without doing a refresh of the entire thread. Sorry. Unlike your forum, anyone can revise/clarify their posts, not just me. Nothing precludes your updating what you said. IMHO it beats a thread of 10,000 messages.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Well Schmooze has never used repos from another project. We have always from day 1 controlled our own repos. The only change we did was to remove all reference to the CentOS trademark as their requirement to do so was brought to our attention.

I was referring to open source projects. Your Day 1 is much more recent than that of the other players I mentioned, but I have made the correction. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.