FUNNY STUFF Hubris

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score
I've installed on both local servers and in the cloud and sure I know what I'm doing. How can it be after several days I can not get the new server to work on Vultr which has been so easy before ? Well guess what I setup this with my home dynamic address which doesn't work too well with the server's static address. Sure hope this is my one exception to always being correct. :(:oops:

kenn10

Reaction score
I guess it proves you're human. :)

I've installed on both local servers and in the cloud and sure I know what I'm doing. How can it be after several days I can not get the new server to work on Vultr which has been so easy before ? Well guess what I setup this with my home dynamic address which doesn't work too well with the server's static address. Sure hope this is my one exception to always being correct. :(:oops:

phinphan

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Replaced defective phone. Set up new phone exactly like old phone. Registered instantly. No audio. Spend 2 hours trying every combination of settings for NAT passthrough. I finally leave in disgust to sleep on it. The next morning I casually go into office and remove the handset plug from the headset jack and plug it in correctly. Phone works fine.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
The next morning I casually go into office and remove the handset plug from the headset jack and plug it in correctly. Phone works fine.

I'm amazed at how many times I've had clients "clean" their desks and phones and they end up doing this. Note: before messing with NAT when we hear this type of call, it is always - press speakerphone and see if it works, then you get your AHA moment for handset.

phinphan

Reaction score
I'm amazed at how many times I've had clients "clean" their desks and phones and they end up doing this. Note: before messing with NAT when we hear this type of call, it is always - press speakerphone and see if it works, then you get your AHA moment for handset.
that will certainly be one I remember. My institutional knowledge is weak as I am a phone system user who enjoys fiddling (mostly a lawyer!) and don't gain the knowledge fixing others issues. Which is why I love this site so much.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Long before Ethernet became the network of choice, we had a judge at a remote location with a notebook PC and a peer-to-peer LAN that used twisted pair cables. He'd been on the road for a week with his notebook PC and, when he returned, he called complaining that his network no longer worked. I finally got on the phone with him and was just about to give up and hop on an airplane when I asked him to tell me where the network cable was plugged in. Turned out it was in the old VGA port. And the rest is history... no free vacation to St. Petersburg after all.

dhoppy

Reaction score
that will certainly be one I remember. My institutional knowledge is weak as I am a phone system user who enjoys fiddling (mostly a lawyer!) and don't gain the knowledge fixing others issues. Which is why I love this site so much.
Same here, mostly attorney that runs phone systems for friends that own small businesses.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Too funny, my highest percentage of clients are law firms :)

phinphan

Reaction score
Lawyers are notoriously cheap! Actually, I started my own law firm after we went through the 2004 hurricane season and I spent several weeks without phones. My original system was an old pc off of ebay with asterisk at home on it and I put in a digium card and had redundant phone system with pots, voip and cell backup. That was pretty unique then. Once my internet improved (represented an ISP) with a fabulous fixed wireless connection (2006, 12mb pipe with 6/6) I canned pots and have never looked back.

Stanjohn - sorry for hijacking your thread!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Lawyers are notoriously cheap!

Haha - I'm not necessarily cheap. I'm good. I give great white-glove service and do it for less than AT&T's POTS. I think people around here get caught up on price a little bit much. What VoIP really provides is incredible flexibility and feature sets that others can only dream about. If people want to get cheap - go buy cheap ... that's not what I sell :)

dhoppy

Reaction score
Haha - I'm not necessarily cheap. I'm good. I give great white-glove service and do it for less than AT&T's POTS. I think people around here get caught up on price a little bit much. What VoIP really provides is incredible flexibility and feature sets that others can only dream about. If people want to get cheap - go buy cheap ... that's not what I sell :)
You are wise.

dallas

Reaction score
The trouble is that customers still expect the 99.999% reliability they got with POTS.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
The trouble is that customers still expect the 99.999% reliability they got with POTS.

I often argue that point and sometimes win. Pots go down in some areas more frequently than you'd think - AT&T has no desire to maintain their shitty infrastructure so when there is something bad - they often will cover it up instead of fixing it. I picked up 2 clients in the past year because of AT&T having crackling on the lines that they couldn't / wouldn't fix. Then there is the ability to have phone system work when AT&T won't ... power out - no problem - we still host in the cloud and will get your calls. Hurricane and no internet or power? No problem, we can re-route important calls to your cell phones or call center.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.