NO JOY How to use SRV?

Halea

Reaction score
I've tried to enable SRV for an IP authenticated termination trunk, but it didn't seem to make any difference on FPBX12+Asterisk13.
Is it that Asterisk 13 has no support for it or is there more to be done than just turning the toggle on in FPBX>SipSettings>chan_sip?

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
SRV is a DNS record type. I believe you need to set this record in your DNS for your FQDN.

The exact format on what it needs to say... someone else will have to help there. Also google is your friend.

Halea

Reaction score
My OP might not have been clear, sorry for that. I am not trying to get SRV records for one of my servers.

My question is related to a SIP trunk provider who says that for outbound calls I could use their sip server's FQDN rather than one of their multiple IP addresses, and if my PBX (or sip client) is SRV aware then it will resolve the FQDN to the proper IP address at access time.

FreePBX has an SRV switch in SIP settings > chan_sip, but whether it is set in enabled or disabled mode it doesn't seem to make any difference.
When I use the provider's FQDN for the sip server it resolves to an IP address which is not reachable from my area.
By trial and error I can figure out which IP addresses are suitable out of the bunch, then pick one and plug it into the PEER settings - that works well, but I am trying to use the FQDN to account for possible IP address changes from the provider.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
post the issoue of

dig _sip._udp.your.vsp.fqdn SRV

dig _sip._tcp.your.vsp.fqdn SRV

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.