QUESTION How to setup real Fax Machine in Incredible PBX?

Aaron Outhier

Santa's helper (subordinate Claus)
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the hardware aspects of this, so much as how to configure in IncrediblePBX, the only option I'm seeing is for fax to email. How do I setup an actual Fax Machine on an extension?

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
Set up extension as normal, get an ATA (I have a Grandstream 702), set up extension on either port of ATA (702 has 2 lines) to work on the extension you just created, plug ATA into Line port of Fax machine. Mine works fine in this way for 5 years now -- voip.ms number (I have a specific 800 number that when called goes right to the Fax Extension (no need to use Detect Fax here).

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
And use T38fax.com for your carrier for smooth sailing.

Aaron Outhier

Reaction score
Ok. I’ll have to try this. I already know about ATAs, I am using one already, however both ports are being used.

My boss at work has an Obi200 sitting around unused, I might offer to buy it from him. I only need the one extra port.

Also, does it matter that I plan to share the same DID that I use for my main phone? I’m using Flowroute, FWIW.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
I think that more depends on the Fax machine itself. Many, you set the Machine to answer every call, if it detects another machine sending Beep tones, it takes the call, if not, it rings the phone instead for voice. But with numbers so cheap, why not just get a second number? If the number is on Stationary, leave for voice, if it's not you choose which would do what.

Aaron Outhier

Reaction score
But with numbers so cheap, why not just get a second number?
I suppose you have a good point. However, I rarely need to use my Fax machine, and when I do, it’s for outgoing faxes only. It’s an HP All-in-one, brand new. And I don’t want to open the “flood gates” to junk faxes. The Fax printer won’t be on the incoming call group.

Eliad

Reaction score
i use an Obi to connect a physical Fax machine for outgoing faxes, it works well. Search Obi on FreePBX and you will find the settings required.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.