TIPS How to refresh registration manually in 3CX PBX edition (Free)

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
I recently had to make some changes to my internal DNS, which caused a small outage.

During this window, it appears it knocked out the registration on the server.

Now I can't seem to get the SIP registration to re-register. I've rebooted the server to try and force it, but it seems it just won't.

PIAF 5 3CX edition on VM.

Any more info needed let me know

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
Even if you disable trunk?:confused:

Thanks for responding. I eventually figured something else out.

1. I had the tzdata wrong, so the time was fair off.
  2. I also had the time set wrong somehow too.
  3. This caused the "Last registration date" to look like it was from the morning
  4. After setting those all correctly, and setting up email alerts. I learned that indeed it was retrying, but still failing registration with an issue to do with DNS resolution.
I'm now currently troubleshooting this issue. I can't seem to put a finger on it because I can resolve the address that I'm using to register via SIP to voip.ms. But the error is stating DNS resolution. I might see if IAX is possible instead of SIP.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I don't think IAX is supported on the 3CX platform.

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
I don't think IAX is supported on the 3CX platform.
I believe you are right on that actually too.

I've sent in a ticket with voip.ms to see if they see something on their end that I'm missing.

Is there a log file I can parse through on the 3CX PBX edition?

Thanks,
Joe

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
To update.

I used the IP to connect to VoIP.ms, and it seems to work well. My only issue is I can't seem to get it to work with the FQDN. Will keep updating this forum so people know what happens.

Part of me is paranoid that it's Rogers Cable internet here in Canada somehow blocking it. I recently switched to them and that's when this problem just started to happen. They have their own "Home Phone" service that just runs off their cable lines using VoIP as well.

Is there a sort of trace route sip type application to contradict my paranoia? haha.

Thanks,
Joe

prattmd2

Reaction score
Sounds like a dns issue. Check your 3cx box and make sure it has valid dns server

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
Sounds like a dns issue. Check your 3cx box and make sure it has valid dns server
That's what I thought too as well.

But unfortunately (and fortunately) I can ping toronto2.voip.ms, voip.ms, and others. I can also use nmap -p 5060 toronto2.voip.ms and it shows the correct IP and that the port is up and running. So it's connecting OK from the server with the correct parameters. (And even more odd, is when I change the SIP trunk to use the IP that I get from pinging the FQDN, it works immediately).

I'm still in contact with voip.ms support to see if they have anything in the logs (I wish I could find the logs in this server).

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Rogers does something to SIP on residential internet connections. I can't figure out what it is exactly but registration packets and some DNS requests don't seem to make it; it's quite intermittent. Clients using that get put on OpenVPN etc connections. Which DNS server are you using? The Rogers one or are you using the cable modem as a DNS relay?

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
Rogers does something to SIP on residential internet connections. I can't figure out what it is exactly but registration packets and some DNS requests don't seem to make it; it's quite intermittent. Clients using that get put on OpenVPN etc connections. Which DNS server are you using? The Rogers one or are you using the cable modem as a DNS relay?

You reminded me of one more spot that possibly could have been the culprit. Here's the layout

Rogers Hitron - Acting in Modem mode (turned of Residential Gateway Mode)
Archer C7 - Acting as the Gateway.
Pi-Hole - Acting as the internal DNS servers (was using google DNS but that crapped out the other day)

I changed the DNS on the Archer C7 to actually point to the Pi-Hole as well in case it was somehow taking the requests.

It's weird that I can fully resolve the address, and when using the IP of the voip.ms server, its ok, but as soon as I change it, it's broken.

Other things I forgot to mention earlier, I took the time to re-do my network. It was on the 192.168.2.0/24 network, and I changed it to a 10 network and worked it around. This was when Rogers was installed (on this past Wednesday)

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
It seems to me there is a resolution problem on the server itself with name resolution of some sort. Have you rebooted the PBX since you changed the IP subnets? Is the DNS used by the server correct?

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
It's weird. I was thinking the same thing too.

I've checked that the server has the correct DNS. I've also logged onto the server and ran

nmap -p 5060 toronto.voip.ms
SUCCESS
ping toronto.voip.ms
SUCCESS
ping google.ca
SUCCESS
ping stun.3cx.com
SUCCESS

It's able to correctly resolve the addresses to their respective IP Addresses. It just seems that the actual generic SIP trunk setup just doesn't want to do it. I've tried to rebuild the trunk to the same result.

JoeArcher007

Reaction score
I wish I had a better resolve than this. I finally changed it to toronto8.voip.ms and that has appeared to work for me at this time. The only theory I have is that from toronto through to toronto7.voip.ms the reverse-DNS entry didn't match (for instance toronto.voip.ms reverse is 94.46.559e.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com).

Thanks everyone for their input.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.