QUESTION How do I forward a call to a cell phone when all call queue members are unavailable ie unregistered

jmcguirl

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Client asked for the ability to have calls forwarded to cell phones of employees if the internet at their office location goes down. In other words, when all the phones at that location are unavailable/unregistered.

I know you can set a misc destination to cell number for an extension that is unavailable, but that seems to only work when the extension is dialed directly.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
@jmcguirl ... check with your service provider. I use Vitelity extensively and they offer a "failover" option that could be a cell phone. Assuming that the call is coming from outside the PBX, since the call can't get to the iPBX if the internet is down, no options for routing a call within the PBX are accessible. Because your service provider has access to the call before it gets delivered to your iPBX, with failover, the call gets routed to the cell phone instead.

/Pete./

jmcguirl

Veteran Member
Reaction score
@geopeterwc Thanks but that doesn't apply here. Lemme add some details. The PBX is hosted in a datacenter. I was talking about the internet connection the ip phones use to connect to the PBX. That's why I was saying "unavailable/unregistered" connections. Sorry for the confusion.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
That is what I thought you were talking about.

You have an option on the bottom of your Queue called Failover Destination which (if I remember) happens when no agents are available/unreachable.

I would have said choose FollowMe but for some reason didn't show up in the pull down on MY system -- but you could Create a SECOND ring Group as the Failover but instead of Extensions, put the Cell Numbers of the Employees and use the Confirm Calls option so once an agent presses 1 all others are dropped.

In the Second Queue use 3459875867# instead of Extension numbers (notice the # (Pound 'hashtag') at the end it will use the correct outbound routes you have set, or if you want to force out a specialized 'Queue Forward Trunk' add a prefix to a new outbound route and place the prefix in front of the number in the second queue.

In this way if agents are there the Primary Queue would take precidence and if the internet was down, or No agents are logged into the Queue, it fails over to the Cell Queue..

I'd see one problem though, is after hours unless you are using CFC (day/Night Mode) so that the queue could not be entered after hours

Hope this gets you on the right track and good luck

jmcguirl

Veteran Member
Reaction score
That is what I thought you were talking about.

You have an option on the bottom of your Queue called Failover Destination which (if I remember) happens when no agents are available/unreachable.

I would have said choose FollowMe but for some reason didn't show up in the pull down on MY system -- but you could Create a SECOND ring Group as the Failover but instead of Extensions, put the Cell Numbers of the Employees and use the Confirm Calls option so once an agent presses 1 all others are dropped.

In the Second Queue use 3459875867# instead of Extension numbers (notice the # (Pound 'hashtag') at the end it will use the correct outbound routes you have set, or if you want to force out a specialized 'Queue Forward Trunk' add a prefix to a new outbound route and place the prefix in front of the number in the second queue.

In this way if agents are there the Primary Queue would take precidence and if the internet was down, or No agents are logged into the Queue, it fails over to the Cell Queue..

I'd see one problem though, is after hours unless you are using CFC (day/Night Mode) so that the queue could not be entered after hours

Hope this gets you on the right track and good luck
THANK YOU!!! I should've known this myself. Heck, I have done that exact set up in the past. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.