GOOD NEWS HiFormance Alternatives

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It looks as if HiFormance may be imploding. All of our VPS platforms in Atlanta, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, and NYC are down. LA still appears to be up. The main HiFormance site has disappeared. Very sad news!

If you paid through PayPal or American Express or some other reputable credit card company, I'd recommend you file a dispute and seek a refund.

DupKEgGW0AADPMa.jpg

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We currently are testing another VPS provider's lowest end OpenVZ platform ($9.49/yr) with 1GB RAM, 1GB swap, 1 CPU, 40GB HDD, 2.5TB bandwidth. Performance looks iffy AWFUL. Provisioning was almost instantaneous. Incredible PBX 13-13 CentOS 6 install took 90 minutes.

As always, we would caution everyone only to use these OpenVZ platforms for EXPERIMENTATION and ONLY with the CentOS 6 version of Incredible PBX 13-13.

Last edited:

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
HiF gets an F from me as this 'downing of servers' happens to me at least once a month and this month is strike 3. I get my domains from NameCheap and they offer VPses with KVM, instead of OpenVZ.

As for not using OpenVZ for production... I have on several places (my own VPS, WootHosting (what a mistake that was), Digital Ocean, and HiF) I have had no problems in years on production machine.

But if I have to rebuild anyways (on KVM) what is my best choice CentOS6, CentOS7 or Debian with the FreePBX/IncrediblePBX/Fax/Enchilada as my GUIs?

Name Cheap is $25/Mo but then so is RentPBX and you get more for the same price, (resource wise). I don't mind paying for reliable, but there is a limit.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
OpenVZ platforms (especially from ColoCrossing) are suitable as sandboxes for experimentation only. We try to find a very cheap OpenVZ platforms for this purpose, but they tend to come and go. Some would say "die like flies."

For production use, I don't think you can beat the $5 platforms from Vultr and Digital Ocean which both offer backups for $1 more. We're testing a third provider as well and will announce something soon.

As I understand the math, many of these OpenVZ providers rent low-end boxes from ColoCrossing for about $50 a month. It takes about 100 users on the server for them to make any money, and then the server is typically oversubscribed. Some are better than others, and HiFormance had a pretty good run for about a year and a half. That seems to be about the outer limit before they fold. If you'd like to join the experimentation club, take a look at LowEndBox. We buy 'em and test 'em, but what works today may be gone tomorrow. If you still have CloudAtCost credentials, you might take a look there as well. Most of their users jumped ship, and we've had ONE server running there for a few months with no issues. They are still the rock-bottom provider in my book.

jaycos

Reaction score
I managed to get a backup out of HiF about 1 second before my server died, now trying to get a system running at yourlasthost.com via lowendbox. Almost everything seems to work, except some of my trunks don't register, specifically Sipgate Team and Callcentric. I whitelisted the new IP in callcentric's backend, but still no luck.
My suspicion is that it's a firewall issue, as I get alerts like this when whitelisting another IP address:
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `sipconnect.sipgate.de' not found
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `redacted.myfritz.net' not found
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `hc.skyetel.com' not found
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `all.sipis.acrobits.cz' not found

Any idea what's going on? Do I have to enter the new server IP/hostname somewhere?

William40

Reaction score
Geesch no notice. Just shut em down huh? Unfortunately I didn't get a backup so I will be a complete rebuild. Shame....I will keep my eyes open for another provider.

Is there such a thing as a half-decent provider or they all volatile?

Reaction score
I never even got a notice. After the server stopped responding today, I submitted tickets. After five hours of no response I eventually went to NerdVittles.com and saw this thread. My last backup was almost two months ago. Shame on all of us.

windpoint

Reaction score
I did not get a notice before I found service shut down. Did not have backup either.

I am looking at vultr 3.5/month plan. Is 512M memory sufficient for a pbx with about 10 extensions? system can be incrediblepbx or issabel. thank you.

ajonate

Reaction score
My L.A. (standard) server is still up with good performance. I was just using it as a test platform.

ajonate

Reaction score
I am looking at vultr 3.5/month plan. Is 512M memory sufficient for a pbx with about 10 extensions? system can be incrediblepbx or issabel. thank you.

While 512MB memory is probably plenty for a modest pbx, running with less than 1GB creates problems when doing updates. I don't generally fool with less than 2GB memory. That leaves room for growth as kernels and applications evolve.

windpoint

Reaction score
While 512MB memory is probably plenty for a modest pbx, running with less than 1GB creates problems when doing updates. I don't generally fool with less than 2GB memory. That leaves room for growth as kernels and applications evolve.
Good, I will go with 1G. thank you

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I managed to get a backup out of HiF about 1 second before my server died, now trying to get a system running at yourlasthost.com via lowendbox. Almost everything seems to work, except some of my trunks don't register, specifically Sipgate Team and Callcentric. I whitelisted the new IP in callcentric's backend, but still no luck.
My suspicion is that it's a firewall issue, as I get alerts like this when whitelisting another IP address:
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `sipconnect.sipgate.de' not found
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `redacted.myfritz.net' not found
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `hc.skyetel.com' not found
iptables v1.4.7: host/network `all.sipis.acrobits.cz' not found

Any idea what's going on? Do I have to enter the new server IP/hostname somewhere?

You sure your DNS is working properly?

alang

Reaction score
So am I. I had 2 hosts running on HiF, never got a notice before and didn't have a latest backup either.

asgard2

Reaction score
It looks as if HiFormance may be imploding. All of our VPS platforms in Atlanta, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, and NYC are down. LA still appears to be up. The main HiFormance site has disappeared. Very sad news!

If you paid through PayPal or American Express or some other reputable credit card company, I'd recommend you file a dispute and seek a refund.

DupKEgGW0AADPMa.jpg

asgard2

Reaction score
thank you for posting this. I had no idea but one server is down. Lucky they were backing up to each other so I have 2 backups.
Here is a list of VPS providers, that seem to be reasonable in the price department.. I will need to pick one. I am feeling desparate
http://cryto.net/~joepie91/bitcoinvps.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.