DEAL HiFormance 2GB OpenVZ $10/yr.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
In our endless pursuit of the best cloud deal on the planet for Incredible PBX 13-13, we're trying out a new OpenVZ $13/year offering that was designed especially for Nerd Vittles. It comes in at just over $1/month on a one-year recurring subscription which you can obviously cancel in your PayPal account at any time.

Specifications:
DNooDP3XkAE5NMa.jpg

While the CentOS 6 base install is advertised as CentOS 6.6, you'll end up with CentOS 6.9 at the completion of the Incredible PBX 13-13 install. We would rate the install speed as very fast.

Current hosting site options include Buffalo, Chicago, and L.A. Just added Atlanta, New York, and Dallas.

Only other setup required is the traditional OpenVZ tweak for NeoRouter:
Code:
echo 'OPTIONS="-i venet0:0"' >> /etc/sysconfig/knockd
service knockd restart
# remember to enable TUN/TAP in Control Panel

DNormo0X4AAHrx4.jpg

We haven't finished testing this, but if you're in a hurry and feeling lucky, here's the signup link.

We strongly recommend 64-bit CentOS 6 (rather than 7) if you plan to use Incredible Fax 13.

This platform should also work great for PBX in a Flash 5 with 3CX and Incredible PBX for Wazo although we have not yet tested either of them.

speedtest.py Results:
Code:
Testing download speed.....................
Download: 794.98 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed.......................
Upload: 284.95 Mbit/s

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've been testing HiFormance VPS machines in LA, Chicago, and Buffalo against our WootHosting disasters in New York. To give you some idea of the difference, loading pbxstatus on all three of the HiFormance platforms takes less than a second. On WootHosting, it ranges from 30 seconds to about 3 minutes. I've opened a half dozen tickets with WootHosting, and they "fix" things for about an hour, and then it's back to CloudAtCost performance.

Signup link for $13/year deal. Here were the latest performance numbers from HiFormance in Buffalo...

speedtest.py Results:
Code:
Testing download speed.....................
Download: 369.63 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed.......................
Upload: 375.83 Mbit/s

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I guess I missed the first time this was mentioned on Nov 2nd. I had bought a Woot, and luckily enough never used it - so just donated them some money but wasn't out the time to install, test, and become dissatisfied.

Ward, Do you feel that this Hiformance servers would make good hot sync backups for a Vultr instance?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Incidentally, this is not a one-off problem at WootHosting. You can review our daily tickets this past week here.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Wow - seeing is believing ... Think woothosting is using a ST-4096 (for us old timers) vs the SSD that HiFormance is using.

Reaction score
Dallas HiFormance VPS:

_12/21/2017 - VMPLAN - DATACENTER - OS - AUTHOR_
```
CPU model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 v3 @ 3.40GHz
Number of cores: 1
CPU frequency: 1900.000 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 2048 MB
Total amount of swap: 452 MB
System uptime: 17:14,
I/O speed: 1.4 GB/s
Bzip 25MB: 3.67s
Download 100MB file: 103MB/s
```

Last edited:

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Ward (and all other readers),

Is everyone still a fan of HiFormance?

I feel the need to dump woothosting; it's been hosting my email server and has now been down for 23 hours straight (although my other VPS in another location is running) - no response from support to my trouble ticket which implies they are having bigger problems than just me.

I have a 'deal' offer from HiFormance for:

2018 Q1 - OpenVZ #4

4 vCore
4GB Ram
50GB Pure SSD
6TB Bandwidth
1Gbps Port
2 x IP Address
OpenVZ -- SolusVM Control Panel
Linux Only

I can double one of memory/IP/storage. The 2 IP addresses may have already been doubled by default. This would cost $180 for 3 years prepaid ($60/year or $5 month). I would double the storage rather than anything else. My woothosting site is 2GB RAM/2GB swap.

Since woothosting was $18 a year, this is a step up. I just want to hope/believe/be reassured that HiFormance is still everyone's darling and that the performance/uptime hasn't dropped since they started getting some hype on this site (whose members I trust).

EDIT: woothosting has answered my ticket - they think it could be an OS issue and want to reinstall the OS. If this means blank the machine, I'm hosed. If they just want to overlay their boot onto my install, that's OK. Seeking clarification from them. Blanking the machine is the worst possible outcome.

Andrew

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
What woothosting thinks, and $2.00 will get you a small coffee. I chose woothosting due to posts here, never did get the server to work right AND had I READ their TOS on refunds 24 HOURS?! REALLY. I argued with them so much that I did get a refund after three days of their :bullshit: and went to DO, that was not much better as they send notices every day if you don't have enough money with them even though they say they bill on the first of each month - I got fed up with that real quick, dumped them like a hot potato and now with Vultr. No problems so far (I do keep enough $$ on hand with them for one month and a little extra (I may move a couple other things over to Vultr later (I have a Dedicated box and a smaller VPS at another company [hudsonvalleyhosts] that I have had for over seven years now (or is it 8?) )

Highformance pay in advance that long - what if like some they fold what happens then. I play devils advocate real well, and skeptical (plus I don't have $180.00 laying around to throw away on an albeit they MAY be a great service to use, hyped up service that everyone is flocking to like sheep.

And Blanking a machine is exactly what it sounds like - they want to destroy what you have and rebuild it (on Do Woothosting and vultr they call it DESTROY, then Create (DO calls them Droplets)

If this is for just email server, you could probably get a $5.00 from Vultr with the speck you need.

As for the cost comparison of WH and HiFormance $1.50/mo compared to $5.00/Mo PREPAID -- find their per month rate (as that is theONLY way I'd do anything with these types of VPS hosters) is 3 times the cost Plus and the per month rate I assure you will be 4 or 5 times as they have to bill you each month (or they have to pay their billing computer his salary)

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything on Vultr with 2 GB of memory + 2 GB of Swap for anything near $5/month. I do need the 2GB due to the AV and Spam filtering software which also runs as part of the server.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
No the $10.00/mo is 2GB 1 core and 40GB SSD (you can create a swap if you needed it. I went to Hiformance and am seeing the monthly prices and their $10.00/Month plan is 2GB 2Cores and 50GB SSD, So I may move later (have to rebuild my pbx anyways). The $5.00/ month from HiFormance doesn't have those specs either -- I never say yearly or multi-year pricing there but if you've got the cash to throw at them (in essence to test if this will work for you) Go with what you need to do.

Signed Devil's Advocate (73 for Hams de W1KMC)

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know if the VPS solutions offered by HiFormance offer full backup/restore from cpanel?

Various webpages on their system say I can back up to another ftp site or backup to the /home directory - they seem a little contradictory. I'm trying to make sure that the options available discussed on this thread (either the 512 MB or the one I'm looking at support this.

I'd like to have on a daily/weekly basis a full image that can be restored if something like my current woothosting disaster happens again.

Thanks.

Andrew

mardosas

Reaction score
Dear Ward, all,

At HiFormance I saw an CentOS 6 (64Bit) Incredible PBX 13-13 (NerdVittles) as an OS for installing to a server. Awesome option. Unfortunately I didn’t succeed to get it running; the container didn’t start. Is there a description how to install this iso and get it running?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.