TIPS Help - My new Raspberry Pi 2 B install went crazy! (Cry!)

TJWhitley

Reaction score
:banghead: Been running PIAF for years without a hitch on a small PC. Trying to do a Raspberry PI install and it messes up constantly. Using a SanDisk Ultra 32gb and following instructions per Page 14787 (Incredible 13.12.3). Installs but get a fatal at startup but it loads and goes to a login for PI. I log it as Root and it goes to the update process and then to command line on Terminal with no blue Status screen. When you attempt to enter the IP for the login screens you get a page cant load screen or blank or even from Laptop that the install was done from in Putty. Never get a typical http login screen. Also noted the upon install the Mirror for Raspberry always stopped as if it were offline. Can anyone help me get the system reloaded and up and running? Tried to overclock the system once and it would not work as it would give wild screens and then freeze, so I take it hat is a no no. Not a Linux expert but I get by. Thanks to any ideas to try.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Incredible PBX installer requires a stable network connection. Sounds like you don't have one.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Been running PIAF for years without a hitch on a small PC. Trying to do a Raspberry PI install and it messes up constantly. Using a SanDisk Ultra 32gb and following instructions per Page 14787 (Incredible 13.12.3). Installs but get a fatal at startup but it loads and goes to a login for PI. I log it as Root and it goes to the update process and then to command line on Terminal with no blue Status screen. When you attempt to enter the IP for the login screens you get a page cant load screen or blank or even from Laptop that the install was done from in Putty. Never get a typical http login screen. Also noted the upon install the Mirror for Raspberry always stopped as if it were offline. Can anyone help me get the system reloaded and up and running? Tried to overclock the system once and it would not work as it would give wild screens and then freeze, so I take it hat is a no no. Not a Linux expert but I get by. Thanks to any ideas to try.
Why the he** are you attempting to overclock if the system is otherwise flaky? Conservative overclocking should be fine, but it can vary from pi to pi.

@wardmundy could be right in that part of it is network connectivity, but it may not be on your end. I don't know what the issue is, but I have found it a not-uncommon problem that apt-get update hangs and http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org and http://archive.raspbian.org are inaccessible. It has happened across multiple ISPs to me, on otherwise rock-solid ISP connections.

Run apt-get update before installing and make sure it completes normally before attempting the IPBX install.

I would restart fresh with a new raspbian-wheezy install on a new SD card, make sure apt-get update completes normally, then proceed to IPBX install. If it still fails, then the pi is probably flaky.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Never seen a flaky Pi, but lots of SD cards from various manufacturers have problems.

TJWhitley

Reaction score
First off - be professional on here. Just to clarify I tried the overclock and had issues so went back to normal. I have a very stable ISP running at over 65Mbps all the time. I attempted to load about 4 times. Each time there were issues with the raspberry site. It would freeze and time out and go to next step. SD is new card just purchased. My PC based system has ran for years without a hitch and wanted to try PI for low power as it runs 24x7. Was just wondering if I may have done something wrong. I am sure it is missing some steps since the Raspberry mirror links were freezing. Could have been issue last night. And to comment - it's very rude to start a reply with foul language on a public board. I was just seeing what the little unit would do and as I stated I am not a Linux Pro.

Appreciate the input he Jerrm offered as I do know networks have their moments. Run a server and NAS here and never have issues with network. Maybe I am sorry I asked for help. Will keep at it on my end and yes I will continue to start fresh til it all clicks since I am hoping all the steps are correct.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Just a couple of random thoughts, as you can appreciate anyone who is not there in the room with you, might not fully appreciate exactly what is in front of you.

Try another SD card. You probably have an 8GB class 10 card in your camera bag, or somewhere, lying about. Not all cards are created equal, and I've had good success with both 8 and 16 GB cards.

Make sure your AC Power adapter is up to snuff. You need one that "puts out" 5 volts DC, at 1 amp (1000 mA) minimum. If you have one rated at 1.2 or 1.5 Amps, even better. The Pi can be voltage sensitive to weak power supplies, or the very small gauge supply wires which can cause a "voltage drop" to the Pi. You need a solid, reliable, 5 volts available at the device, not 4 or 4.5 volts.

Good luck, and keep on going.

TJWhitley

Reaction score
I think I I found the issue. First attempt today wasn't great. Finally my brain clicked - I took my NAS and Server off the network. BAM it has been loading for 45 minutes and finished a complete load of Asterix. Started the fax load and was running fine when I walked away. Maybe I will be ok now. Sometimes it just takes taking a step backwards and thinking of what might be causing issues. Now to setting this back up like my other System and ironing out the conflicts with the server applications that may be running. Thanks so much for everyones input

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.