Health Monitoring

thunderheart

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to glance at the gui and see the health status of the box. Also, it'd be nice if I got an email telling me if my trunks were down or whatever. I know there is a mechanism for doing this in FPBX (at least monitor the trunks) but it requires thought to get working. My first "production" installation of trixbox was a quicky adjunct to our existing key system to provide after hours, emergency call out support for a large institutional customer. Worked great for a few days then Smoothwall's SIP proxy (siproxd) started droping SIP packets on the floor. The box was silent on this issue and it went unnoticed for a couple of days. This wasn't Asterisk's fault of course, but it knew the trunks were down. Not a big deal as the system was advertised to be experimental, but in a "real" production environment you really need to know when things aren't kosher.

What would be cool is if say a fan stopped running or a trunk lost registration, I got an email on my cell to let me know. I'm new to Asterisk/FreePBX so I may have overlooked this capability somewhere but if it's there it isn't obvious.

Thunderheart

Titanous

Reaction score
As far as glancing at the web page goes, The front page of FreePBX has quite a bit of info. It shows how many trunks are registered/up, CPU/Memory/Network/Disk Usage, and your uptime. For email alerts, Asterisk 1.4 has SNMP, so you could use a SNMP monitoring tool like Cacti with Thold to monitor trunks. Take a look at voip-info.org for more info.

TheShniz

Guru
Reaction score
That's a good idea Titanous... I agree 100% tho that a Munin/Cacti/Nagios health monitoring is a very big requirement.

solutions4smb

Reaction score
I would agree. Trunks going down for more than a few seconds is a real problem.

An email would be nice for a single install; however, a Nagios plugin would be a real differentiator for critical processes and states. Trunks, latency/ping to gateway, handset reg too.

Dan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.