FOOD FOR THOUGHT HD Voice from PBX to the big 4 Wireless Carrier Networks

scourtney2000

Reaction score
Hello,

I was participating on a Ring Central confernce call from my mobile phone using T-Mobile service. It was HD Voice end to end.

It go me thinking that there must be a SIP Trunking provider that has made direct connections to the Wireless carriers and can handoff and possible transcode calls using wideband codecs.

Is there a SIP Trunk that supports g.722, OPUS, AMR-WB? Could it be phone calls originating on VoLTE-capable networks is the reason I experienced HD Voice on Ring Central?

Has anyone heard of such animal in the wild?

Thanks

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Any carrier that does not proxy the RTP media stream will allow you to use G.722 if the carrier you're interconnecting to supports it. I see HD Voice calls using T-Mobile in the US and Telus in Canada most of the time on Voip Innovations and Anveo Direct, for example. I have G.711 set as preferred on the SIP settings to make sure nothing weird happens in codec negotiation with carriers but have G.722 supported on the PBX and G.722 set as preferred on the phone (Yealink T48 and Cisco SPA542). You could probably play around with this a bit and see if you had any no audio issues if you set G.722 all the way through as preferred. There are several carriers that do not proxy RTP.

scourtney2000

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Very interesting. I never thought of it like that. I guess it also depends ont he carrier and the users cell phone. I have been reading about VoLTE and AMR-WB. I thought it would be a great niche for a SIP Trunk provider to negotiate with the 4 major carries and provide direct links to their wireless customers.

I guess I live in a dream world. I don't think HD between wireless carries exists, so why would a SIP Trunk provider that can guarantee HD between a PBX and the big 4 would exist. It would be really cool.

Call centers, small businesses, who wouldn't want to an HD Voice connection to wireless cusomters?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
The carriers have no real commercial interest in making inter-carrier calls sound better. Here's their thought process:

"Oh, we can give clients better call quality"
"Great, let's do that"
"Oh we can connect to other carriers who are doing the same thing and give everyone call quality improvements"
"Why would we care they aren't our customers - what if we say we give all [insert large ILEC based telco name here] customers better call quality when calling each other? Then it's a competitive advantage and people will tell all their friends and family to use our stuff"
"Oh OK I just thought . . "
"No, don't do that, just think how we can get more customers and make it better just for them, but only sometimes, so we can charge more, but not have them expect more either, everyone else we'll only do what the FCC (or CRTC etc) makes us"

stanleycot

Reaction score
Don't mean to bring back a thread from the dead, but it finally happened. Telnyx started offering HD Voice interoperability between Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. Best part is that they will transcode G.722, Opus and AMR-WB for you! Costs $1 extra per month per number, which isn't great, but is understandable.

I just enabled it and so far the calls have been great. Glad ONE carrier finally got the HD Voice hint!

Press release here - https://telnyx.com/release-notes/experience-true-hd-voice-with-telnyx

dallas

Reaction score
My only question is why?
Looks like a solution looking for a problem.

kenn10

Reaction score
T-Mobile has had HD voice from phone to phone on their network for years and I have HD Voice from my PBX to T-Mo via Bulkvs as my outbound provider and using g.722 codec. Its not a big deal either way. You mostly just get more background noise and breathing noise anyway.

T-Mo is currently rolling out voice over 5G (VONR) as well but I don't expect any difference in voice quality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.