FOOD FOR THOUGHT hangouts or facebook ?

hvc123

Reaction score
hi all
this has probably been asked a squillion times but is there a way we can have either piaf or the handset log into FB or GHO or skype ? i have a 8945 with video and it would be really cool to be able to video call my fb or hangout or skype contacts direct from the phone.

is this possible or am i just dreaming ?

Cheers all

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
The PBX, no.

If you have an Android-based handset, sure. Just load a SIP softphone, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, and Skype.

The Grandstream GXV3275 is a model I am familiar with that can do SIP, Skype, and Lync. You can probably load the other apps too but I have not tried it.

chris_c_

Reaction score
The problem with FB messenger video calls, they're encrypted, but there is no privacy, because the app uses an outdated banned key protocol which is so weak, it shares the encryption keys with FB during the start of the call. So your FB video calls are looked at by the govt, because this is one way Mark Zuckerberg and FB makes $$$$$$$$, they sell all the recordings of all the video calls to the govt. Dislike.

There are many hardware/software systems which connect together Skype video calls into PBX SIP video calls, for 2-8 corporate people on a video teleconference.

Last edited:

hvc123

Reaction score
The problem with FB messenger video calls, they're encrypted, but there is no privacy, because the app uses an outdated banned key protocol which is so weak, it shares the encryption keys with FB during the start of the call. So your FB video calls are looked at by the govt, because this is one way Mark Zuckerberg and FB makes $$$$$$$$, they sell all the recordings of all the video calls to the govt. Dislike.

There are many hardware/software systems which connect together Skype video calls into PBX SIP video calls, for 2-8 corporate people on a video teleconference.
Ok cool well screw fb then i just wanna be able to video call my contacts from my 8945 to any platform that my contacts have including skype/hangouts. My other sip clients are basically mobile phones with software phone on so i can do video calling with that but i would love the desk phone to be able to do this too.

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
I have a Grandstream video phone (20$ at the flea market, new old stock still in the box.) Video just worked after configuring it in asterisk - it talks to my iPhone w/ (either linphone or zoiper - I'm not at home to see which one works.) No real utility when there's facetime, or hangouts, or whatever.

zorka

Guru
Reaction score
The PBX, no.

If you have an Android-based handset, sure. Just load a SIP softphone, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, and Skype.

The Grandstream GXV3275 is a model I am familiar with that can do SIP, Skype, and Lync. You can probably load the other apps too but I have not tried it.

Do you have experience with this phone (GXV3275) and openvpn? I just can't get it to work over openvpn. The vpn is working just fine. When I install a softphone (csipsimple) everything works just fine (except the handset etc) but the default phone app just wont register with my pbx :-(

billsimon

Reaction score
Do you have experience with this phone (GXV3275) and openvpn? I just can't get it to work over openvpn. The vpn is working just fine. When I install a softphone (csipsimple) everything works just fine (except the handset etc) but the default phone app just wont register with my pbx :-(

No, I haven't tried that. What's your use case for the VPN? Would it work for you to set up SIP over TLS instead?

zorka

Guru
Reaction score
Some co-workers work a lot from different places (several days or weeks at the same spot). The idea is to give them a phone they can take with them, put it on there temporary desk, plug it in the network and get a direct connection (over the vpn) to our pbx.
Right now they use this with softphones on their laptops, but they prefer an actual desktop phone.
So basically the whole setup is in place, we just need a phone who can do openvpn (which accoding the manuals, this phone should)

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.