GOOD NEWS GVsip: GVoice-to-SIP Gateway

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Create the two gMail accounts, log into each account, and sign up. You can configure the rest later.

VaHam

Reaction score
Ok I have both Vestalink Gateway (GVsip) and billsion's Gateway on different Goggle voice lines of coarse setup and working. As basic in/out trunks they both work fine using ulaw on each the quality sounds the same to me. Bill's gateway offers G729 & ulaw. GVsip adds G722 but I have not tried the G722 yet.

I think there is some confusion, in my feeble mind anyway, regarding the GVsip ability to change "DID".

When tycho said "GVSip allows you to change the GV DID associated with your account. Once logged-in with your credentials for your paid-for account, you can switch to a different GV DID and call-out reflecting that DID. I believe (but could be wrong) that Bill's Simonics gateway is associated with a single GV DID and login, and that another account would be required for a different GV DID/login."

I think he simply means you can switch from one GV line (GV account) being associated with the gateway account to a different GV line. I wonder if Bill's Deauthorize/Re-authorize may not actually allow the same thing? (I HAVE NOT TRIED THAT YET); perhaps Bill can tell us if that is the case.

**** Of coarse Bill's having CNAM sent is a huge added feature especially for folks who are not using a PBX and therefore don't have the ability to do lookups themselves. ***

I also like Bill's multi-device registration feature!!! One of the handy things is that the devices can be located anywhere; so if you have a location where you would like an extension which rings simultaneously with a local incoming call and allows you to call between extensions using extension numbers this works like champ. I first setup a trunk using the multi-device instructions Bill provides of his website and got that working then I did remote login to one of my family members computers and set up a softphone using the sip credentials according again to Bill's instructions and voila! When a call to the gateway number comes in it rings both here and on the remote softphone where either can take the call. I can also call the remote extension using only it's extension number in my case 102 since the local one is 101 and visa versa. This would be great for things like vacation homes or even locations in different countries (I would suspect). All of this with zero footprint even between simple extension to extension calls.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I think there is some confusion, in my feeble mind anyway, regarding the GVsip ability to change "DID".

When tycho said "GVSip allows you to change the GV DID associated with your account. Once logged-in with your credentials for your paid-for account, you can switch to a different GV DID and call-out reflecting that DID. I believe (but could be wrong) that Bill's Simonics gateway is associated with a single GV DID and login, and that another account would be required for a different GV DID/login."

I think he simply means you can switch from one GV line (GV account) being associated with the gateway account to a different GV line. I wonder if Bill's Deauthorize/Re-authorize may not actually allow the same thing? (I HAVE NOT TRIED THAT YET); perhaps Bill can tell us if that is the case..

To clarify, what I was attempting to convey in what you quoted above relates only to the outbound CID reflected and seen by the called party. I should have said and call-out reflecting that >C<ID to be more clear.

I find that capability handy. I have several GV accounts. I have one, main, account used extensively for both inbound and outbound calling. I have practically zero interest in calls to the other accounts actually reaching me directly -- they are set to go directly to VM within GV. But, if I do happen to get a VM on one of those numbers, it is handy to be able to return the call and -- when doing so -- show the CID of that DID. The capability I described using the GVSip gateway lets me do that.

"That is all..." ;)

VaHam

Reaction score
TIP: Using Bill Simon's GV Gateway and his multi-device setup you can also sip dial any of the extensions directly and have only that extension ring.

[email protected]

Where ZZZZZZZZZZ = your 10 digit GV DID

The x1 would be the multi-device extension you setup as x1. Just replace the x1 with x2, x3 etc to call the other devices

billsimon

Reaction score
the service is still not clear to me. i just registered and did pay. do i need for every number a new account. I am new to google voice and for the moment i do not know what is it for this gateway. anyways did thought i try it, to have more ease to follow wardmundy guides.
can i use more than one google number with it and can i use more than one US Phonenumber with it? or i do need for each a extra account? IPKALL service is down nd so i can not make me a google number to play with it.

The service is very simple. Each Google Voice line is an account with GVGW. Yes, there's a setup fee per line.

The service provided is a SIP connection that provides incoming and outgoing calling on your Google Voice number. You can register multiple SIP devices to have a sort of key system. All will ring on inbound calls; all can place calls outbound. You can call and transfer between the extensions.

IPKall will not be useful to you with Google Voice. GV has prohibited IPKall numbers from being used with their service.

bonelifer

Reaction score
billsimon, great service. I can confirm it even works with the free grand-fathered, Google Apps for Your Domain accounts. Even at 5.99 it's well worth it.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
IPKall will not be useful to you with Google Voice. GV has prohibited IPKall numbers from being used with their service.

Somehow I missed this bit of news, not that it affects me because I do not forward GV to IPKall. I thought many people still did. Makes the gateways all the more important!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For those using Incredible PBX for Asterisk-GUI, simply download and run our One-Click Installer. You’ll need your SIP Login Name and SIP Password from Simonics registration plus a two-digit dialing prefix to use for outbound calls. It’s that simple!
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/simonics-addon.tar.gz
tar zxvf simonics-addon.tar.gz
rm -f simonics-addon.tar.gz
./simonics-addon.sh

To register multiple trunks, just change TRUNK entry in simonics-addon.sh from simonics to simonics2, etc.

VaHam

Reaction score
TIP:
Following up on the sip dial ability of each extension you have setup using simonics gateway multi-device that each of the devices can then have it's own unique DID in addition to the GV DID for incoming calls. Simply signup for a free ipkall DID and use the sip address as I outlined above as the sip destination for the ipkall DID. Repeat that procedure for each device you wish to have it's own individual incoming DID. That way anyone can place calls directly to each device individually, without ringing the other devices, by calling it's individual ipkall DID.

voip_user

Reaction score
Takes for the link ward. I signed up for this and so far so good. My wife and family has been using 40 dollars a month in flow route calls. She damn near has the phone glued to her ear all day, but doesn't like cell phones. we have a new baby and everyone around us is having babies hence the ladies are chatting all day. So far so good.

billsimon

Reaction score
Somehow I missed this bit of news, not that it affects me because I do not forward GV to IPKall. I thought many people still did. Makes the gateways all the more important!

I should clarify this. I am not sure whether you can continue to use IPKall numbers that are already affiliated with Google Voice. I just know that you can't associate new IPkall numbers. My understanding of the original question here was that he wanted to set up a new GV account using IPKall as a forwarding number, and that won't work.

drgeoff

Reaction score
1. I cannot comment on other networks in arztde's list of providers known not to work with IPKall but the reason shown against sipgate is incorrect. Sipgate.co.uk does not work with IPKall because the former blocks all incoming SIP calls except those from their co-operation partners telio.no and gradwell.com.

2. sipforever.com can be added to the list of those which do work with IPKall.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Google at one time did block all IPkall numbers. That is not still the case. I think the reason is that connection rates to IPkall numbers are now quite reasonable and governed by new federal regs that put an end to the gouging. For example, we maintain a Tide Table service for our Pawleys Island Web Cam site. The number 843-284-6979 is an IPkall number, and we can connect to it from any of our Google Voice trunks.

isaacl

Reaction score
Will either of these services allow me to get incoming faxes over my GV number, using Incredible Fax?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
95% of our users speak English and use NANPA. With limited staff, there's only so much we can do, and language translation is just outside the scope of what's possible for us. I've pointed you to Gemeinschaft which is primarily focused on the German market. And there's Incredible PBX for Elastix 2.5. Elastix is primarily a commercial operation, and they support nearly a dozen languages. Those are probably your best bets. We really, really, really are not going to get in the multi-lingual business unless someone comes along that's a great (free) programmer and speaks about a dozen languages. Sorry.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
In light of the 400% price increase, we're withdrawing our support for GVsip and removing the Nerd Vittles article and install script.

Bill Simon's similar gateway remains an economical and feature-rich SIP gateway to Google Voice which we will continue to recommend.

voip_user

Reaction score
well I got in for 5 bucks, not a bad deal for a number that will be mostly used for development.

Michael Arnold

Reaction score
voip_user look again... WOW 19.99 I don't think SO!

I guess the people who jumped fast got into it cheaply and its only was one time.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.