GVoice In Flames No More

donnib

Reaction score
The missing priority=1 is definitely causing the problem at least for inbound calls on some VM machines. Haven't tested elsewhere yet. Here's a patch to fix the GV module.

Log in as root and issue the following command. Running it multiple times is harmless because it won't find the existing string to fix any more.

NOTE: This will only patch Google Voice additions AFTER the patch is applied. If you want to delete and re-add the accounts, that would work, or you can manually make the changes in /etc/asterisk/jabber.conf and restart Asterisk. New Incredible PBX 2 installs after 8 p.m. EDT tonight already have the patch applied.

I have also done this on my machine. I have installed PIAF and Incredible PBX two weeks ago. Is it enough to just run the above line ? You also mention and patch. What patch is that ?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Is the problem only when calling from one Google Voice number to another one? Are both numbers on the same machine? Are any of the GV numbers on OBi devices?

Let me suggest you try a fresh install before we look at other alternatives.

donnib

Reaction score
Is the problem only when calling from one Google Voice number to another one? Are both numbers on the same machine? Are any of the GV numbers on OBi devices?

Let me suggest you try a fresh install before we look at other alternatives.

I have only tried from google to google. I am calling from GMail. No devices are on Obi devices. I don't have possibility to try fresh install right now since i have spent quite a while configuring this machine. Any suggestions ?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
From a different Google Voice account, correct?? Aside from that, my suggestion is to reinstall.

donnib

Reaction score
From a different Google Voice account, correct?? Aside from that, my suggestion is to reinstall.

Yes that is correct. Why should a reinstall help when the machine has been newly installed 2 weeks ago ?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It may not. :wink5: If you're looking for 100% reliable, 100% of the time, Google Voice probably isn't your best bet.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Fixed:

http://www.the159.com/googlevoice/googlevoice-latest.tgz

The missing priority=1 is definitely causing the problem at least for inbound calls on some VM machines. Haven't tested elsewhere yet. Here's a patch to fix the GV module.

Log in as root and issue the following command. Running it multiple times is harmless because it won't find the existing string to fix any more.

NOTE: This will only patch Google Voice additions AFTER the patch is applied. If you want to delete and re-add the accounts, that would work, or you can manually make the changes in /etc/asterisk/jabber.conf and restart Asterisk. New Incredible PBX 2 installs after 8 p.m. EDT tonight already have the patch applied.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For those using the older gvoice command, Google Voice changed the registration methodology. Here's the fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

eCase

Reaction score
Patch=fail?

Hi Ward,

Thanks to you and the PIAF team. I tried the commands you posted - did it recompile Asterisk? It looked like it did... but I wasn't paying 100% attention ;)
Okay, so after the patch finished the update, I tried my google-voice trunks again.
What I have done for the past few days is just put the Google-Voice 'Trunks' on the bottom of my default Outbound Routes, and I've used my Vitelity Routes (On the top).
So, after the patch I put the GV trunks on top of the Outbound Routes again, but they still do not work...
Here is the error message from asterisk log:
"TRUNK Dial failed due to CONGESTION HANGUPCAUSE: 0 - failing through to other trunks"
Luckily, it at least will fail through to my Vitelity trunk, so I still have outbound calls.
Ward, what was the patch supposed to fix?
Prior to this patch, I recompiled my Asterisk to use sound codec uLaw & G729, and I deselected GSM codec. If this patch runs a recompile session, is it possible that my prior sound codecs switch will jam something in the patch process?
Perhaps it's something else involving a codec issue?

Thanks!

pok

Reaction score
hey guys my gvoice stopped working on my pbx as well (outgoing calls, haven't tried incoming).. but i am still able to call from the gvoice website... its really frustrating.. has anyone found a solution to get it working again? port 5222 is forwarded through the router so nothing should be blocking. Thanks a bunch!

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Nope still the same. 0nly 78 days of service left anyways till they charge for it and based on what is here now it ain't worth paying for.

If you ran update-fixes in the last 2 days and it is still broke then I would recommend you contact tm1000 in the forums and let him know. He has taken over stewardship of the the GV-Freepbx module.

Tom

billsimon

Reaction score
I've got a Google Voice-SIP gateway running on a cloud server. It's very reliable (still working out the bugs that keep it from being 100%, but that could be Google's own doing) and located only 2.1 ms away from voice.google.com so there's very low latency on that leg of the call. Inbound and outbound work great.

If anyone would be interested in connecting to GV in this manner let me know. I'd need to collect a few small donations to keep the server running and pay for the bandwidth, but if you want to test things out first that would be fine.

wauters

Reaction score
Does anyone have the google voice problem fixed? I am running the google voice module and I have tried changing the wait to 8, still really not working, I do get a call to go thru once in a while.

jason_m

Reaction score
google's at it again.

On my Asterisk system, the solution was to put some kind of audio before sending dtmf 1. I ended up making a sound file with about 50ms of barely audible fuzz/static. This would explain why lifting the receiver (with an open mic) would start the prompt playing. It seems Google has implemented some more attempts to foul up pbxes. Idealy a pbx or other automated means of answering calls would initialy generate no audio at all, as with the Wait commands.

Answer
Wait(1)
Playback(custom/fuzz)
SendDTMF(1)
Wait(2)
* start ivr or whatever *

Reaction score
What I don't get is why this problem only seems to affect Asterisk users, and not FreeSWITCH or Obihai device users. Anyway, I had an interesting comment posted yesterday on an article on my blog that I had posted back in March. After all this time I got a comment from someone at Digium, which is not all that encouraging:

We are aware of the problems with Google Voice in Asterisk’s swdev department. The problem is that Google Voice support is extended (rather than core) and the amount of work that is going to need to go into fixing and maintaining it right now makes it less of a priority than many other issues right now. I think a community developer might have been expressing an interest in picking up the slack on Google Voice though, so hopefully that pans out.

It is an open source project though, so if it’s important to your business I’d recommend taking a hands-on approach in fixing it. Get involved with the issues related to this on the issue tracker, possibly dive into the C code, or if you aren’t a programmer you could put a bounty on it or hire it out, or even consider getting support through Digium.

~Jonathan Rose
Funny to me how the FreeSWITCH and Obihai folks seem to realize that Google Voice support just might be important to a significant number of their users, yet Digium seems to act as though they can barely be bothered to support it at all (with the insinuation that if someone [strike]slipped them a bribe[/strike] paid them a bounty they might actually make it a higher priority). Very sad.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
When one considers the enormous resources that were invested in Skype (that has now gone down the tubes at Digium), it kinda makes you wonder. Of course, there were visions of sugar plums in that arrangement, unlike Google Voice.

santa-reading.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.