FYI Grandstream GXP2200 Android Phone

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here is the original thread from the lost and found.

And here is the Nerd Vittles article on the phone.

We can go from there...

A8iwq7tCEAA3y8R.jpg:large

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
I just got two of the phones to play with on a small installation. I really like them. Obviously the addition of the sidecar really makes this phone work well. Without the side car, it isn't as good because of the MPK program that you have to open to get busy lamp fields and the lot. Voice quality is really nice with the HD audio. If you are using the speaker phone and the caller is on a headset, the quality is really great. If both parties are on speaker phone, the quality drops just a bit (due to picking up ambient room stuff), but still excellent. Setting up the side car is super easy through the web interface. It seems well worth the $81 to get the side car IMHO.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
I've posted a couple of suggestions/features on the Grandstream forum. These are just things that I would like to see that would make the phone even more user friendly.
1) Allow Google 2-step authentication on the phone (for calendar, contacts, etc). At this time, I think it will only work with google accounts that don't have the 2-step authentication turned on. At least that has been my experience.
2) Somehow allow the MPK buttons to activate Android apps on the phone. For example, it would be really nice to have a "Voice Dial" MPK button which would start the voice dial app without having to scroll through the screens to find the shortcut.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We use a Google account with 2-step authentication for email and the Play Store on our GXP2200's. You just have to set up an application-specific password, and it works fine.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
We use a Google account with 2-step authentication for email and the Play Store on our GXP2200's. You just have to set up an application-specific password, and it works fine.

Thanks for the solution Ward. I'm not sure why I didn't think of trying that.

Reaction score
I tested a gxp2200 with latest firmware (1.0.3.6) and sidecar for a week but ultimately returned it for now. Sidecar was great. The phone has great potential but it needs a little time....

Here were my issues:

-Most importantly and echoed by others on the GS support forum is that the phone misses digits randomly when dialing.
http://forums.grandstream.com/forums/index.php?topic=15539.0
http://forums.grandstream.com/forums/index.php?topic=15513.0

-Sidetone on the handset is virtually nonexistent which makes the call sound dead at times, they recognize the issue and are working on making it adjustable.
-General volume issues with ringtones (low standard ringtones, media playback and call volume. Adequate but low compared to something like an Aastra 57i. They are planning on adjusting the range of the volume controls.
-Both positions of the phones support bracket are two steep for comfortable, standing use on the standard 36 inch high counter.
-I found that the phone was generating an audible burst of ringtone prematurely when it received the " -- SIP/carrier1-09de7b40 is making progress passing it to SIP/201-b7d72ce0" message instead of waiting for a SIP 180 message.
-I had an issue when making a call to an extension using the MODE selection from the menu (Call, Paging, IP Call) selecting "Paging" seems to have no effect whatsoever on the call according to the CLI trace output, ie: "Call" and "Paging" are identical which they shouldn't be.
-I found the web ui on the phone to be very limited, temperamental and rather ill designed, again it depends on what you compare it to.

TheMole

Guru
Reaction score
I tested a gxp2200 with latest firmware (1.0.3.6) and sidecar for a week but ultimately returned it for now. Sidecar was great. The phone has great potential but it needs a little time....

Here were my issues:

-Most importantly and echoed by others on the GS support forum is that the phone misses digits randomly when dialing.
http://forums.grandstream.com/forums/index.php?topic=15539.0
http://forums.grandstream.com/forums/index.php?topic=15513.0

This is a bummer and will not fly in my house -- I was going to buy this phone and hopefully replace all my other phones with it over time as the feature set seemed awesome. I really hope this is resolved in a firmware upgrade.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
New GXP2200 beta firmware 1.0.3.16 is available. For those of you that experienced digits being dropped when you dialed quickly, it's been fixed!

:party::party::party:

Easiest firmware upgrade procedure...

1. Download latest firmware from here to your Desktop
  2. Unzip file and copy gxp2200fw.bin to top directory of an SD card
  3. Insert the SD card into the top of your GXP2200
  4. Reboot phone (Settings -> Reboot) while holding down * and # buttons until firmware update begins

turalo

Reaction score
it's like 2 years ago this posting, but I thought its worth mentioning.

we have bought many of this GXP2200 for our customers, and we now started to get complains about it. even one of them in our office has problems with sound, called party gets a very strange bass sound, sometimes both parties cannot hear each other.
also specially in our office, when a collegue calls me with the speaker instead of the horn, then I cannot hear hem, I hear something but is not understandable, it's like a broken bass speaker talking on the background.

I have contacted the Grandstream support, opened a ticked, hopefully they can solve the problem.
before this problem was only by using speaker for some customers. now it's also when you use it normally with the horn. so there is a problem in the software I guess. We have updated to te latest versions of the firmware, still no resolution.
We also found out that if we do factory reset, the phone functions good for the next 4-5 calls, after the reset, but then it starts same problem again.
for now we have decided to replace the phones by new out of the box and we did that, that solved the problems obviosly :) , but this cannot go on,
they are not cheap, and it's not a game, to go to all complaining customers, change the phones. this cost too much.

if anybody had this problem, and has found a solution, please post it.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.