FYI Gotcha-Free PBX Cannot Change TTS Engine to "Swift"

Reaction score
Problem: Editing "nano -w /var/www/html/reminders/index.php" to change the variable "$ttspick" from "0" to "1" does not work. The TTS web reminder will not generate any audible text.

Setup: Incredible PBX 11.16-05 for Asterisk-GUI, running on Ubuntu 14.04 x64

Email of log:

Code:
Web Telephone Reminders 4.0.2 (c) Copyright 2006-2014, Ward Mundy & Associates LLC. All Rights Reserved.

March 4, 2015 - 20:32:27  *** New session ***

The following application-specific variables also were passed from Asterisk:
APPTDT: 20150304
APPTTIME: 2033
APPTPHONE: 6002
APPTRECUR: 1
RECURRING: once
Reminder saved to /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/2033.20150304.6002.call  Date/Time: 20150304/2033  Phone#: 6002

NOTE: To delete this reminder prior to the actual date of the reminder, delete the above file.
To delete this reminder on the actual date of the reminder, delete the above file from /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing.
Also remember to delete the actual message sound file: /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom/2033.20150304.6002.gsm.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Possibly dumb question. Do you have the Cepstral swift TTS engine installed? I know many people abandoned it because of their huge increase in license fees to use it with Asterisk.

Reaction score
Ugh! Not installed! I had no idea!

When I was demo'ing the system to the wife, she was not impressed by the "1984 sounding" default TTS engine. So, I went poking around and tried to use the other engine, thinking it was a simple matter of changing that file.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Sadly not. Cepstral's Swift TTS engine was wonderful back in the day. It was essentially Allison but in TTS. Licenses weren't that expensive either. Then Cepstral changed gears and started requiring some obscene fee to use it for live TTS. It was like $400 for the license plus $200/concurrent channel or some such. I moved on to Google TTS. Not sure if that can be integrated into the NV apps

Reaction score
Yikes! It seems like one of the difficulties in this area is the mix of small hobbiest (where such fees pose a huge burden) and the Fortune 1000 (where such fees are negligible). They should take a page from the opencnam project and throw a bone to individuals and hobbiest.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
So my pricing was a bit overdone. Just checked and right now it's $100/channel, plus $40/voice (Allison, Callie, David, etc.), and an additional $200 if you want to save to file instead of just streaming it live. Still insane for personal use.

SipperUser

Reaction score
is there a tts engine in freepbx that is not google and is free? I dont really like basing everything on google to make it work.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Search the forum for PicoTTS. Sort of somewhere in the middle between Flite and Google TTS. Biggest issue is it needs some things spelled phonetically. Double vowels issues seem the most common. "Europe" becomes E-U-rope, dialplan becomes "dee-al-plan," etc.

SipperUser

Reaction score
it seems a bit complicated since you seem to have to change individual files. It would be nice if there were a gui menu option. Also is there a non-google version of the sms dictator. Some free gpl-type speech to text? thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.