GOOD NEWS GoogleTTS Tiny - A faster TTS script

lzaf

Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

since PIAF is lately all about performance and small embedded systems I would like to make you aware of a few updates on the googletts script that you might find interesting. There is now a 'tiny' version of the script that uses the HTTP::Tiny perl module instead of LWP::UserAgent.

LWP::UserAgent is an amazingly powerful perl module but also huge and bloated, not really suited for CPU and I/O constrained environments like eg the Raspberry pi. HTTP::Tiny on the other hand offers all the functionality googletts needs with a lot less overhead.
On github you can now find a new TTS script suffixed with '-tiny' that you can use as an in-place replacement of the normal version script since it exposes the same interface/cli args. To use it just make sure you have HTTP::Tiny installed.
In debian or ubuntu based distros:
Code:
apt-get install libhttp-tiny-perl
In distros that don't have it in their repos:
Code:
cpan HTTP::Tiny

In my initial tests on a Raspberry pi with the CPU overclocked to 1000 MHz the runtime of the new 'tiny' script is about a second less. Have fun testing! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.