QUIRK Google Voicemail on IncrediblePBX?

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
I am new to PBXs although familiar with linux and networking and just setup GVSIP using this awesome tutorial (http://nerdvittles.com/?p=26315) but, Google Voicemail is not working like how it used to on Simonics GV Gateway. Basically, I want people to call my Google Voice number, and it rings my SIP phone through Incredible PBX (this part works now), but when I don't answer or reject the call, I want the caller to be picked up by my Google Voicemail, NOT the Incredible PBX built in voicemail. That way when they leave a voicemail, I get it on my cell through GV app, with transcription, etc... all in one place since I have my cell phone itself setup to use GV voicemail now.

How can I configure the GVSIP/IncrediblePBX to utilize GV voicemail properly instead of it's own internal system? I tried playing around but don't see an obvious way to do it.

Looking forward to being a part of the community now!

**EDIT: I tried setting the call forwarding busy and unanswered modes with feature codes and my GV number, which works in sending the call to "voicemail" but GV voicemail menu picks up instead of greeting and recording start. I have the option set to "NO" on GV site that says direct access to voicemail so it should play greeting and allow recording and if I want to get to menu I hit * during greeting. This is not a problem on any of my other linked numbers.

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
I'd just increase the ring time on your ring group or extension. Then if you really want disable voicemail on that extension you have associated with the GV trunk.

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
I'd just increase the ring time on your ring group or extension. Then if you really want disable voicemail on that extension you have associated with the GV trunk.
Tried this by increasing ring time to more than 30 seconds (I did 50) which is what Google Voicemail instructions say to do anyway. But, it doesn't help. Now my SIP phone rings for 50 seconds, and the other caller hears the google voicemail menu prompt asking for a pin, rather than hearing the greeting and being allowed to record a message. I do have direct voicemail access turned off in the settings for my forwarding phones including the "Obi device" (Incredible PBX trunk).

Jake

Reaction score
One other thought, GV should normally only play the VM menu prompt if you are calling yourself from your GV number. What number is being passed to GV when you call? Are you calling yourself from your GV line?
Also, check to see in the legacy GV settings under Calls -> Caller ID (incoming) -> Display my GV Number
If so try to change it to "Display Caller's Number"
See if that works

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
I am calling my GV number from a completely separate landline that is not linked to GV at all, and it stills plays the menu so I don't understand why it plays the menu then to landline. And I already have the setting "Display Caller's Number" checked.

billsimon

Reaction score
I tried setting the call forwarding busy and unanswered modes with feature codes and my GV number, which works in sending the call to "voicemail" but GV voicemail menu picks up instead of greeting and recording start. I have the option set to "NO" on GV site that says direct access to voicemail so it should play greeting and allow recording and if I want to get to menu I hit * during greeting. This is not a problem on any of my other linked numbers.

This is why your callers are getting the GV menu.

To let the call go to GV voicemail, disable call forwarding and also disable local voicemail. Once the call rings enough, Google will take it back and drop it into the voicemail system as you expect.

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
OK, now we are getting somewhere.... But now instead of voicemail or menu picking up, when phone stops ringing, the caller just hears a busy signal and no voicemail prompt to leave a message. So it seems Google isn't picking the call back up and dropping it in voicemail?

billsimon

Reaction score
OK, now we are getting somewhere.... But now instead of voicemail or menu picking up, when phone stops ringing, the caller just hears a busy signal and no voicemail prompt to leave a message. So it seems Google isn't picking the call back up and dropping it in voicemail?

If you disable the trunk altogether so that Asterisk is not registered to Google Voice, does the incoming call go to voicemail?

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
If you disable the trunk altogether so that Asterisk is not registered to Google Voice, does the incoming call go to voicemail?

If unchecking the "Obihai" entry in legacy GV settings is enough to count as disabled, then yes, the incoming call to GV # goes to voicemail correctly. Upon checking the obihai entry again, sip phone rings but caller gets busy signal (think its a "fast" busy signal) instead of voicemail. Same result if I hit decline on the call on sip phone. Interestingly though, enabling the obihai entry also causes my cell phone (forwarding phone on GV) to NOT ring at all when caller calls into GV number.

billsimon

Reaction score
Is your incoming route going through a ring group or ivr? If so, can you try sending it directly to an extension (SIP phone)? I wonder if these symptoms are happening because Asterisk is answering the call while it keeps doing routing.

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
Is your incoming route going through a ring group or ivr? If so, can you try sending it directly to an extension (SIP phone)? I wonder if these symptoms are happening because Asterisk is answering the call while it keeps doing routing.

My inbound route for the GVSIP trunk has been set to go direct to the extension the whole time. Haven't setup any ring groups or IVRs yet.

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score

Any other ideas of something to try here?

ilovepancakes95

Reaction score
I seem to have narrowed down the issue.... I had fax detection turned on for the route, with a destination of HylaFax. If I turn Fax Detection to No, everything works fine! So this is great, although I can't figure out why fax detection would cause the issue above. I have seen others do fax detection with Hyla Fax on GV SIP trunks and they said it works.

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
_NOBODY_
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.