R.I.P. Google voice trunks with Obi200 and IncrediblePBX

JWTEXAS

Reaction score
I'd appreciate anyone's advice on an issue I'm having. I've followed the instructions from the article "Creating an OBi200 Google Voice Trunk to Use with Asterisk" and I have no audio either way. The trunk is showing online in IncrediblePBX GUI and calls do seem to ring both ways, inbound/outbound using my cell phone, but there is just no audio and then after 30 seconds asterisk drops the call with this error:
[2018-05-28 15:50:19] NOTICE[29313]: chan_sip.c:29574 check_rtp_timeout: Disconnecting call 'SIP/obi200-00000018' for lack of RTP activity in 31 seconds.

I'm running Incredible PBX 13.0.192.19 on a raspberry pi, use an Obi200 with firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). The obi200 and incrediblepbx are on the same network, same switch.

Reaction score
I'd appreciate anyone's advice on an issue I'm having. I've followed the instructions from the article "Creating an OBi200 Google Voice Trunk to Use with Asterisk" and I have no audio either way. The trunk is showing online in IncrediblePBX GUI and calls do seem to ring both ways, inbound/outbound using my cell phone, but there is just no audio and then after 30 seconds asterisk drops the call with this error:
[2018-05-28 15:50:19] NOTICE[29313]: chan_sip.c:29574 check_rtp_timeout: Disconnecting call 'SIP/obi200-00000018' for lack of RTP activity in 31 seconds.

I'm running Incredible PBX 13.0.192.19 on a raspberry pi, use an Obi200 with firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX). The obi200 and incrediblepbx are on the same network, same switch.

You might confirm that your Obi200 is not rebooting. I followed the same article and am getting the same lack of RTP activity message in the Asterisk logs. However, I determined that it was caused because the Obi200 is actually rebooting. I am going to try a different version of firmware to see if that helps...

Darth Voder

Reaction score
You might confirm that your Obi200 is not rebooting. I followed the same article and am getting the same lack of RTP activity message in the Asterisk logs. However, I determined that it was caused because the Obi200 is actually rebooting. I am going to try a different version of firmware to see if that helps...

I'm having the same problem.. I've carefully configured the Obi per Ward's instructions and am able to make/receive GV calls but without audio in either direction and the calls drop shortly after being answered.

I can also confirm that my Obi is rebooting as evidenced by the Obi up time status after the failed call is a small number.

I'm using the latest Obi firmware.

In casting a wider net for answers I see someone brought up the issue on the Google Voice Help Forum.

They had first opened a ticket with Obihai and were told by tech support that the Obi is incapable of bridging a Google Voice connection to a sip trunk.

A forum member "Bluescat" was happy to jump in and obfuscate without confirming what Obihai tech support has claimed.

I found the exchange on that forum hilarious but not helpful.

I'll be looking for progress on this issue here because it seems the Google Voice Help Form is helpless....

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem.. I've carefully configured the Obi per Ward's instructions and am able to make/receive GV calls but without audio in either direction and the calls drop shortly after being answered.

I can also confirm that my Obi is rebooting as evidenced by the Obi up time status after the failed call is a small number.

I'm using the latest Obi firmware.

In casting a wider net for answers I see someone brought up the issue on the Google Voice Help Forum.

They had first opened a ticket with Obihai and were told by tech support that the Obi is incapable of bridging a Google Voice connection to a sip trunk.

A forum member "Bluescat" was happy to jump in and obfuscate without confirming what Obihai tech support has claimed.

I found the exchange on that forum hilarious but not helpful.

I'll be looking for progress on this issue here because it seems the Google Voice Help Form is helpless....

There is a couple of links that provide instructions that apparently work, although I myself have not yet tried it:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31954649-
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10626.msg69940#msg69940

Then a much older post just for research: https://web.archive.org/web/20150305102711/http://tech.iprock.com/?p=6416

Darth Voder

Reaction score

I look forward to trying these over the next few days as time permits and will report back here.

Thanks!!

Darth Voder

Reaction score
Rather than starting with the dslreports post, which was put together rather fast and contains at least one error, you'd probably be better off following the more detailed instructions published here:

https://cboh.org/voip/obi/OBi_As_ITSP.html

Many thanks! I haven't yet tried the instructions in the previous post.
I'll start with the one you suggested and will report back soon.

Darth Voder

Reaction score
Many thanks! I haven't yet tried the instructions in the previous post.
I'll start with the one you suggested and will report back soon.

I'm sorry to report that the instructions provided in https://cboh.org/voip/obi/OBi_As_ITSP.html are yielding the same results as other configurations such as the one outlined on NerdVittles.

In all configurations I've tried I can initiate and receive Google Voice calls but there is no audio in either direction and the calls drop shortly after being answered.
In all configurations the Obi200 crashes and on rebooting the uptime has gone to zero.

restamp

Reaction score
Which configuration do you have and which method did you try? What firmware do you have loaded on your OBi? What does the OBi Status page indicate (Registered, Reg not reqd, or something else)? Do you have the opus codec loaded? Can you make a successful call on your GV line directly from the OBi? We need more information.

Last edited:

JWTEXAS

Reaction score
In my case, calls from a standard phone attached to the Obi200 using the google voice set up on sp1 outbound work just fine.

wv_giant

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue (using the latest stock wazo), but I can receive calls and the sound quality is fine. My issue is that I cannot make outbound calls after following Ward's tutorial. I just get a fast busy signal and the call fails. I have the latest firmware in the Obi200. I do not have the opus codec loaded (only codecs loaded are G.711 u-law and a-law). I can make a successful call from the GV line with a phone directly connected to the Obi. The SP1 (GV) status shows "connected". It had shown "registration not required" before, not sure why it's changed. I could not make or receive calls through the PBX with Ward's setting of Voice Services > SP3 > URI: [email protected]. If I changed it to just ip address I could receive calls.

In the Obi device status, for SP3 service status I keep getting the error: Register Failed: 404 Not found (server=my.ip.add.ress:5060)

In my Asterisk logs I get NOTICE[2634] chan_sip.c: -- Registration for '[email protected]' timed out, trying again

I really need to get this working asap, if there is any other information needed please let me know.

Jebs2k

Reaction score
anyone every figure this out? i'm having same problems, it will dial out but crashes/reboots obi202 after

Reaction score
anyone every figure this out? i'm having same problems, it will dial out but crashes/reboots obi202 after
Yes, I would experience that issue with my OBi200 if I modified the X_InboundCallRoute parameter to anything but the phone port. That seemed to be the crucial configuration parameter that would cause the reboots.

Anyway, it now seems to be fixed with the latest firmware, OBi2-3-2-2-5921EX-arrynrob8.fw. It may also be fixed with the stock OBi firmware, however, I have never tried it. But I loaded the arrynrob8 version on my OBi200 and have it configured as a GVSIP bridge to my Asterisk server and I am now able to make and receive calls without the device rebooting.

Jebs2k

Reaction score
Great, I will give it a try

Are you referring to the inbound route for the gv sp, or the trunk sp?

Tia

Reaction score
Great, I will give it a try

Are you referring to the inbound route for the gv sp, or the trunk sp?

Tia
Well I have GV on SP1 and my Asterisk connection on SP3. On SP1(GV), I set the inbound route to SP3, so incoming calls from GV are sent to the Asterisk server, and then on SP3(Asterisk) I set the inbound route to SP1 so calls coming from Asterisk are forwarded out GV. I don't recall specifically if it was one or both of the inbound routes, but they are normally set to ph(analog phone) and changing one of them would cause the reboot. But it works great with the new firmware, nice to be able to finally use my OBi200, as before it was just a paper weight...

bjs.pdx

Reaction score
Yes, I would experience that issue with my OBi200 if I modified the X_InboundCallRoute parameter to anything but the phone port. That seemed to be the crucial configuration parameter that would cause the reboots.

Anyway, it now seems to be fixed with the latest firmware, OBi2-3-2-2-5921EX-arrynrob8.fw. It may also be fixed with the stock OBi firmware, however, I have never tried it. But I loaded the arrynrob8 version on my OBi200 and have it configured as a GVSIP bridge to my Asterisk server and I am now able to make and receive calls without the device rebooting.

Is that official OBi firmware or third party? Has a solution been found with OBi stock firmware?

I've verified that my obi200 is rebooting whenever I try a call, inbound or outbound. Not very pleased since I purchased it specifically for this purpose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have always used the third party firmware as I didn't want to have to register with the OBiTalk portal. But originally when I bought the OBi200 it had stock firmware and the problem with rebooting which continued until the latest upgrade to 5921EX third party firmware. I would imagine the stock firmware would also fix the reboot issue, you would just have to configure the device through the OBiTalk portal.

Interestingly, I believe a lot of the no audio, calls ringing but no answer are caused by the device rebooting. No one notices it reboots and thinks the call went through but no audio.

Last edited:

bjs.pdx

Reaction score
I have always used the third party firmware as I didn't want to have to register with the OBiTalk portal. But originally when I bought the OBi200 it had stock firmware and the problem with rebooting which continued until the latest upgrade to 5921EX third party firmware. I would imagine the stock firmware would also fix the reboot issue, you would just have to configure the device through the OBiTalk portal.

Interestingly, I believe a lot of the no audio, calls ringing but no answer are caused by the device rebooting. No one notices it reboots and thinks the call went through but no audio.

The new stock firmware doesn't seem to fix the problem since that's what I already have:

HardwareVersion 1.4
SoftwareVersion 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)

kameleon

Reaction score
Same thing here. Been trying to help a friend move his small business to GV and finally got the numbers ported this weekend. Now nothing works. I ended up having to put the GV account directly on each of the obi1022 phones that he bought (we have a obi202 for the trunk lines going to the pbx though). This allows calls and such but cannot put someone on hold and transfer call. Would love to make this work the way the blog post says it does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.