FOOD FOR THOUGHT Google Voice: The Old Way

vorshr

Reaction score
I have been reading in all different forums about everyone's dissatisfaction with the upcoming GV changes, while we cannot change what Google has decided about XMPP, there may be a work around. I ran across an article that explains how Asterisk used to integrate with GV even before XMPP.

http://tech.iprock.com/?p=9784

I am not sure if this would work with PBX In a Flash or at all but I figured I would put it out there to see what others think.

Jim

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
That is, indeed, "the old way" that PIAF users (among others) interacted with Google Voice. And, as you have noted, it does not rely upon XMPP at all. The real question is whether it's worth the hassle now that so many other dirt cheap alternatives are available... that's don't break regularly.

Reaction score
I don't think it is worth it going forward. The GV ride has been fun, promoted interesting technical solutions and saved a lot of money for many people but its also sucked up a tremendous amount of thought and development time that could have been used for other things.
As Ward points out there are so many cheap solutions available that I think our collective time is better spent on other projects.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
lgaetz: I was going to quote Forrest Gump and suggest that "Stuff Happens" but I'm not sure your career could withstand another four-alarm alert today.

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score
Reading the blog/forum at sipsorcery they don't use XMPP so if you have a grandfathered free account that may be a option. Guess it is also an option for those with paid accounts for sipsorcery's other features. http://forum.sipsorcery.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5205#p25000

Playing the devil's advocate, maybe Google's excuse is valid on one point, telemarketers are drawn to free/almost free phone termination like the free email attracts spam.

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
Wow pissing contest was right. 7 pages of uselessness...

Anyhow how about using an old Android phone with the official GV app over Wifi? Then chan_mobile to bring ot back into the pbx or a RJ-11 for home homes.

stanjohn

Not quite right
Reaction score

Anyhow how about using an old Android phone with the official GV app over Wifi? Then chan_mobile to bring ot back into the pbx or a RJ-11 for home homes.

Sounds like too many steps to work reliability, but till Google makes it's first move not sure many want to work with today's GV app which may not work next year. If you read the link in post 1 and related posts the point was wait for a clear picture, I agree that it is a bit early to worry about work a rounds.

twinclouds

Guru
Reaction score

I don't the third party apps will work after May 15. If it is Google's official apps, they might work but will charger you cell minutes.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The old approach simulates a standard call to a Google Voice number. Unless Google completely abandons Google Voice forwarding, it probably still will work. There never are/have been any certainties with Google. :eek:

Another good approach documented here in the forums even though Gizmo is (ancient) history.

Definitely time to start making alternate plans. Less than a month to go.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
I'm using the plain-asterisk approach documented by twinclouds on his blog (see #14, above) on my Dockstar. Works like a champ.

I'm just about to go break things by messing with a set-up that works perfectly fine so as to add additional trunks. PIAF has always saved me from this lunacy, but here I go, playing with raw config files... :)

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Yes, the "callback" method (I'm using twinclouds version) is working. As is the Native Obi ATA version. As is the PIAF version that I use (circa Marcus Brown module). As of this writing, of course. :)

jbstanford

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long this will continue to work, but I just setup Google Voice and it works just fine with the same chan motif plugin. When you initially set it up, login will fail, but shortly after you will get a "logon failed" email from Google. In that email will be a link to here: https://www.google.com/settings/u/3/security/lesssecureapps

On that page, you can change the account security settings to low security (does Google voice use SSLv3?), and then it will work as it did before. You might also have to mark the login as legitimate. Once done, I was able to get a status of connected and make/receive calls as normal.

I'm sure eventually they'll disable this, but they allow it for now - Cheaper than buying an Obi device and using that as a gateway to GV. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.