TIPS Good External FXO Adapter?

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I've got a client that is unhappy with sip service after a year and wants me to revert them to pots service with their pbx. They currently have a system built on an intel nuc which runs fine. Their complaint is the delay in the caller vs them. I've done everything I can to reduce it but it's still slightly there.

So I've been look for a cheap way to give them fxo ports via usb or another network device. I can't seem to find one that has good reviews. The only usb one I found was the Sangoma USB FXO U100 - 2 Port but it looks like it's not living up to the hype.

Are there any other options short of building a new machine and using a pcie card?

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
I've used Obi110 and grandstream gxw40xx in the past with good results

mbellot

Reaction score
I have a Cisco C1760 with an FXO card (no longer used) and FXS to feed my two cordless phones.

Before I gave up my POTS line, the Cisco was the best quality I could find to make the conversion from POTS to SIP under $100 (they can be had for very cheap on fleabay).

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
We have four or five Obi 110s used during transition periods. Never had a complaint about them, but they generally have only been in use a few weeks at a time.

What SIP provider(s) have you been using?

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
I have an Obi 202 that I can give up (I've switched over to Simonics), so if you're interested, PM me.

Reaction score
I've got a client that is unhappy with sip service after a year and wants me to revert them to pots service with their pbx. They currently have a system built on an intel nuc which runs fine. Their complaint is the delay in the caller vs them. I've done everything I can to reduce it but it's still slightly there.

So I've been look for a cheap way to give them fxo ports via usb or another network device. I can't seem to find one that has good reviews. The only usb one I found was the Sangoma USB FXO U100 - 2 Port but it looks like it's not living up to the hype.

Are there any other options short of building a new machine and using a pcie card?

I don't understand why you are dealing with a delay at all? Provider (both ends)? ping times? location?

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I don't understand why you are dealing with a delay at all? Provider (both ends)? ping times? location?
I'm using voip.ms on the trunk side and twc on the office side. From Eastern WV to Washington currently and ping times from the server to their service is about 45ms. There is a slight delay but for the most part you cant tell unless you are in the same room with the caller. ( lol )

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
So depending on how many POTS lines you want, I like the AudioCode MP units.
http://www.voipsupply.com/audiocodes-mp-114-fxo

But if the client does not like what you have provided they will probably hate a POTS / ATA / Asterisk solution.

There is a slight delay but for the most part you cant tell unless you are in the same room with the caller. ( lol )

You really have not said what the issue is ...

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
The slight delay is the issue. They can't seem to understand that most service is like that. There is also some occasional jitter that makes it worse.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
They can't seem to understand that most service is like that.

So if this was my customer, I would say sorry we don't think that this is the right answer for you. Then I would put them back on their PBX with POTS service and move on. I don't believe your customer or you will ever be happy in the arrangement.

An ATA with all it's potential headaches is not your fix !

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
You're probably right but they moved their business and switched to this in the process. :/ They did not move the old pbx system. I'll try to talk to them a bit more and maybe cut them a slightly better deal on their service and see what happens. Thanks for your input guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.