NO JOY Getting This Fax Error - Problem sending the fax...

howie954

Reaction score
Just did a Fresh install of Avante and this is what I am getting

Problem sending the fax.
sendfax: Password:Login failed: 500 'PASS ': Syntax error, expecting password.

I read in another thread that all I need to do is to open the file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd from the editor and move "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" from the bottom of the file to the top.

But when I open this file I don't have that. All I have is:

# hosts.hfaxd
# This file contains permissions and password for every user in
# the system.
#
# For more information on this biject, please see its man page
# and the commands faxadduser and faxdeluser.
localhost:21::
^admin@:1:lTNYFuJD3UOo2

Can anyone please elaborate?

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I add a cron job for hylafax+ and avantfax to "play nice" with each other, just add a bare 127.0.0.1 to the file and then from henceforth

* * * * * if [ "$(/usr/bin/head -1 /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd)" != "127.0.0.1" ]; then /usr/bin/sort -u /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd -o /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd ;fi #fix addfaxuser

will fix it up every minute if needed

Last edited:

nateornat

Reaction score
I add a cron job for hylafax+ and avantfax to "play nice" with each other, just add a bare 127.0.0.1 to the file and then from henceforth

* * * * * if [ "$(/usr/bin/head -1 /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd)" != "127.0.0.1" ]; then /usr/bin/sort -u /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd -o /var/spool/hylafax/etc/hosts.hfaxd ;fi #fix addfaxuser

will fix it up every minute if needed

Can you please elaborate on this fix? If you could explain in more detail what steps you took so rookies like me who don't know what a cron job o_O is can apply this fix.
Thanks!

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
It's just a fix-it for hylafax+ and avantfax, if 127.0.0.1 is not at the top of that file then avantfax gets confused and that will happen when you add a user, the cronjob is the fixit, a cron job runs on the schedule you choose * * * * * means every minute, from bash "man cron" or google will help you there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.