FYI FreePBX 15 Restore Module

kenn10

Reaction score
As of backup module version 15.0.8.55 15.0.8.56, most of the issues are fixed. The commercial admin module is no longer required for the backup/restore to work. The following issues I have encountered remain and have been reported:

1) Legacy CDR restore times out on a large CDR file. The restore times out after 60 seconds. This has been reported to Sangoma for correction. Fixed.

2) An apparent difference in the database admin passwords between FreePBX and IncrediblePBX results in the database being unavailable to Asterisk after a legacy restore. The password must be changed back to the IncrediblePBX specified password. I have also reported this issue to Sangoma. May be an issue with the FreePBX framework version.

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
As of backup module version 15.0.8.55 15.0.8.56, most of the issues are fixed. The commercial admin module is no longer required for the backup/restore to work.

Thank God, I hope they don't cripple this and keep it completely open sourced so others can add to it and have community support.

kenn10

Reaction score
By manually upgrading the FreePBX framework module to current rev level (15.0.16.13), using fwconsole ma --edge upgrade framework, the legacy restore issues I reported are all resolved. However, upgrading the framework is causing some other issues with the module repositories that I have not yet figured out. I suspect it replaces customized IncrediblePBX settings with stock FreePBX settings but it does resolve the database admin password issue I experienced.

Note that the issue of migrating the users file is still not restored. They closed my ticket as a duplicate of another. Fixed if module userman is upgraded to current revision.

Ahh. The joy of being on the bleeding edge. The IncrediblePBX module repository will have to be updated with new module releases before this all comes together. I'm sure @wardmundy is busy preparing for or escaping from the pending hurricane arrival so I'm sure he'll take a look at this when he has time.

Last edited:

kenn10

Reaction score
Running Ward's restore-fix script fixes the database admin password to complete the restore process.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Will try to tackle the Backup & Restore issues now that the hurricane has passed. Just a heads up that everyone needs to remain vigilant to open source/GPL encroachments. Sangoma's key objective is M-O-N-E-T-I-Z-E which doesn't include most of us. First priority is Switchvox. Second priority is PBXact. Switchvox costs about 5 times as much as PBXact. FreePBX is free. So that's the pecking order. New High Availability (HA) Fault Tolerant module for PBXact and FreePBX Distro is dead. Why? Because they don't have a comparable product for SwitchVox. Take a look at the Astricon agenda: half as long with half as many tracks. Only one track for Asterisk. And no hardware vendors invited to participate. So it's a pure Sangoma trade show basically. That should tell everyone where this ship is headed. And the public platitudes do not in any way resemble what is said about some of us behind the curtain. Be vigilant!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
What's your opinion? Is there a chance to save asterisk, or do you think it / we will have to have a spin-off? Or do you think more time and energy needs to be invested in Freeswitch / Fusion?

billsimon

Reaction score
And the public platitudes do not in any way resemble what is said about some of us behind the curtain.

I personally would prefer to be insulted in public and praised in private than the other way around. :)

But really, what is this about?

billsimon

Reaction score
Or do you think more time and energy needs to be invested in Freeswitch / Fusion?

When I work with Freeswitch I feel more like a hacker doing telephony things. When I work with Asterisk I feel more like a phone system administrator but with extra tools to do neat tricks. I feel like FusionPBX covers that hackerish feel somewhat, and FreePBX amplifies the phone system administrator concept.

That may seem vague but I'm just trying to say that the two have different styles and philosophies. You should just try out FusionPBX and FreeSWITCH and see what you think. They are not hard to install.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@billsimon: Sorry to disagree, but... Before you jump into FusionPBX, read this thread and be advised that this is essentially a one-man show headed by a guy primarily focused on revenue generation. Hidden bug reports, costly training programs, hidden documentation unless you pay $100 to $1,000 per month and even then you are shunned if you share what you've learned with others. Sorry. We took a good hard look at FusionPBX, but the greed factor was just too hard to swallow.

My recommendation: Hunker down with a stable (existing) product until next summer when the non-compete agreements with Sangoma go away. Then let's see what we see.

hawk#1

Reaction score
@wardmundy,

Your recommendations have a good track record and I personally have nothing to lose by sticking around for another year.

billsimon

Reaction score
@billsimon: Sorry to disagree, but... Before you jump into FusionPBX, read this thread and be advised that this is essentially a one-man show headed by a guy primarily focused on revenue generation. Hidden bug reports, costly training programs, hidden documentation unless you pay $100 to $1,000 per month and even then you are shunned if you share what you've learned with others. Sorry. We took a good hard look at FusionPBX, but the greed factor was just too hard to swallow.

My recommendation: Hunker down with a stable (existing) product until next summer when the non-compete agreements with Sangoma go away. Then let's see what we see.

We are not in disagreement Ward. I was giving krzykat an objective view. My wording of "different styles and philosophies" may have been too subtle. It's not just about the technology.

Freeswitch itself is not much different in terms of greed factor. I'm all for paying for quality support and software. But not grossly overpaying. I'm not free to say more about it but that's the gist.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I've looked at and played with FreeSwitch / Fusion. We like to make some custom modules and with current Asterisk / FreePBX we can do just that. The question in my mind is one of open. I know even in FreePBX I had found bugs in past that were seemingly right there and commented about in code that were easily moved around. As long as asterisk / freePBX isn't obfuscated and we can mod it, I'm good. With regards to FreeSwitch / Fusion, all it really takes is a group like those that originally started taking over FreePBX originally that want to bang out some cool code to make it a real contender. So there may be a one man show now, but if you get a group of 5 or 6 folks that start to have fun with it, it can survive and grow. Let's not forget what has happened in our own back yard and the incarnations of what we currently use. I've used everything from A@H to Trixbox to AsteriskNow to Elastix to Issabel to of course PBXinaFlash .... the size and strength of those communities allowed forks and growth. I think FreeSwitch has this potential ... but as Ward has stated, it's just not quite ready for prime time use as a total replacement to FreePBX just yet.

For my thoughts, I think we're going to hunker down with a version of PBXinaFlash that we're very comfortable with, and expand upon it while always looking for what else is available. There are enough people making their livings off of asterisk that I feel it may stay truly open domain product, but we all need to be prepared for what to do if that changes. FreeSwitch seems to be a solid product. FreeSwitch may just be that first iteration of a good GUI for it ... or it may not ... but keeping options open I feel is important to grow.

kenn10

Reaction score
:smash: OK folks. We're seriously off-topic in this thread. This thread is about the FreePBX 15 restore module. If folks want to talk about Fusion PBX and FreeSwitch, there should be another thread.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
:smash: OK folks. We're seriously off-topic in this thread. This thread is about the FreePBX 15 restore module. If folks want to talk about Fusion PBX and FreeSwitch, there should be another thread.

You're absolutely right ... Sorry.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
PIONEERS: This is completely untested but worth a try for importing a backup from Incredible PBX 13-13.10. Please document any (new) bugs. Thanks.

Code:
passwd
yum -y update
yum -y install net-tools nano wget tar
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/incrediblepbx16-15.2.tar.gz
tar zxvf incrediblepbx16-15.2.tar.gz
rm -f incrediblepbx16-15.2.tar.gz
# to add swap file on non-OpenVZ cloud platforms with no swap file
./create-swapfile-DO
# kick off Phase I install
./IncrediblePBX16-15.sh
# after reboot, kick off Phase II install
./IncrediblePBX16-15.sh
# add HylaFax/AvantFax, if desired
./incrediblefax16.sh
# set desired timezone
./timezone-setup
# display your passwords
./show-passwords
# remember to enable TUN/TAP if using VPS Control Panel with OpenVZ
# reconfigure PortKnocker if installing on an OpenVZ platform
echo 'OPTIONS="-i venet0:0"' >> /etc/sysconfig/knockd
service knockd restart
# set up NeoRouter VPN client, if desired
nrclientcmd
# check network speed
wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py
chmod +x speedtest-cli
./speedtest-cli

EEIYI-PVUAAM0DU

FYI: Choosing restore with legacy CDR bombs:

Code:
Restored module cdr [FreePBX\modules\Backup\RestoreBase]
Installing  cel
Creating cel if needed..OK
checking for extra field..already exists
Checking for userfield field to remove..already removed
Checking for src field to remove..already removed
Checking for dst field to remove..already removed
Checking for channel field to remove..already removed
Checking for dstchannel field to remove..already removed
Checking for context index..already indexed
Generating CSS...Done
Restored module cel [FreePBX\modules\Backup\RestoreBase]
File named: /tmp/backup/f692b573-4cd2-451b-a079-ad2c777cee99/mysql-2.sql.gz
Detected file /tmp/backup/f692b573-4cd2-451b-a079-ad2c777cee99/mysql-2.sql.gz as the PBX (Asterisk) database. Attempting restore
Extracting supplied database file mysql-2.sql.gz
Loading supplied database file mysql-2.sql
SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 near "COMMENT": syntax error

Ditto for basic restore:

Code:
Backup extracted to /tmp/backup/fbcb7460-44db-4626-a727-b4b868c9184d. These files will remain until a new restore is run or until cleaned manually.
Loading manifest to memory
Loading astdb to memory
Parsing out SQL tables. This may take a moment depending on backup size.
Found 2 database files in the backup.
File named: /tmp/backup/fbcb7460-44db-4626-a727-b4b868c9184d/mysql-2.sql.gz
Detected file /tmp/backup/fbcb7460-44db-4626-a727-b4b868c9184d/mysql-2.sql.gz as the PBX (Asterisk) database. Attempting restore
Extracting supplied database file mysql-2.sql.gz
Loading supplied database file mysql-2.sql
SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 near "COMMENT": syntax error

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
COMMENT error has been fixed. BUT... the latest FreePBX backup module still doesn't restore voicemails so you still will need to run /root/restore-fix and reactivate voicemail settings for every extension using the GUI once you have restored a 13-13 backup.

UPDATE: Fixed. Thanks, @kenn10.

Last edited:

kenn10

Reaction score
@wardmundy based on my back and forth with FreePBX support, I upgraded the following modules from edge to get all this going:

Core v15.0.9.42
Maybe Framework v15.0.16.32 (but only after upgrading all other modules because you get an error on upgrade if you do this first.) I ended up leaving Framework at 16.0.16 but upgraded the other four modules and everything works.
Voicemail v15.0.18.7
Userman v15.0.16
and Backup v15.0.8.56

Once I did a clean install, upgraded the modules above and tried the restore of a legacy backup, voicemail and users restored for me. I do not have OSS Endpoint Manager. Of course, there is no guarantee that nothing else has been broken if newer versions of the modules have been put in the edge repository.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@kenn10: Latest 16-15.02 build seems to fix everything except for the "COMMENT" bug (which we've fixed) and an incorrect alert about the default SIP ports (which actually were restored properly to 5060 for chanSIP and 5061 for PJSIP) :
EEQ4gMtX4AYnwY8

and this (slashes replaced with asterisks)...

Code:
Restore processing for modules are finished successfully
Reloading...... DONE
Running Post Restore Hooks.. Please note that hook will restart httpd service so please refresh your page (using new ports)
post Restore hooks failed !!!!!
Running Post Restore Hooks DONE
Finished
File named:**tmp*backup*47c0d5cb-d425-452b-ab56-27e422772d96*mysql-3.sql.gz
There were errors during the restore process
    Illegal string offset 'name' on line 19 of file *var*www*html*admin*modules*phonebook*Restore.php
npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: Package no longer supported. Contact [email protected] for more info.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.