FYI FreePBX 15 Restore Module

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the latest FreePBX/IncrediblePBX 15 restore module will let you restore everything from a FreePBX/IncrediblePBX 13 backup that was made within the GUI.

To get this to work, you first will need to update the backup module to 15.0.8.32 in Incredible PBX 16-15.1 after logging into your server as root with SSH/Putty:
Code:
/root/gpl-install-fpbx backup

Next, make a backup using the GUI of Incredible PBX 13-13.10 and copy the backup file from /var/spool/asterisk/backup to your desktop PC.

Finally, in the IncrediblePBX 16-15.1 GUI, choose Admin -> Backup & Restore, click on the Restore tab, and upload the FreePBX 13 restore file from your desktop. Then follow your nose, and report your findings.

Two guys reportedly spent 9 months developing this so that it would do the necessary translations between the two FreePBX versions. Very slick if it works.

p.s. I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unfortunately it does not appear to work. My first attempt failed at Legacy.php line 132. I was able to get around that, however, my second attempt reports the restore was successful, but there is nothing there. After reloading FreePBX, there is no configuration information for Asterisk present.

I resorted to just manually entering the configuration by hand. This was actually from FreePBX 14, not 13.

I plan on trying to backup/restore from and to FreePBX 15 to see if that works. Will report my findings...

Thanks

Reaction score
Sorry Ward if I was not clear. I was trying to restore to a FreePBX 15 system using a restore file from FreePBX 14. I did however notice that I had an older version than 15.0.8.32 of the backup module, but attempts to update it indicated that I was already at the latest online version.

Anyway, I grabbed the new backup module from GitHub and tried again with the same results. Back to the drawing board. I will dig in and see if I can figure out why it doesn't work...

Thanks

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
If this works, it would make me migrating systems a breeze.

kenn10

Reaction score
@wardmundy On IncrediblePBX-16-15, the FreePBX backup/restore module does not work at all. It does not allow the assignment of a storage location. The error messages indicate that a module named "filestore" is required to set the storage (and likely retrieval) location. I used the gpl-install-fpbx filestore command to attempt installation, but get XML parse errors. The filestore module appears in the module list but won't load / upgrade. It shows disabled pending upgrade. Attempts to upgrade fail.

I also downloaded the module to my PC, uploaded it as a manual install in FreePBX but I believe FreePBX wants access to its own library.

A basic FreePBX backup does not work because you cannot set a storage location and you cannot restore the backup made in IncrediblepbX13-13-10.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Wish there was a quick fix, but I'm afraid that both guys who worked on this have left the employ of Sangoma for greener pastures. Wouldn't count on an update anytime soon... if ever.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
A possible resolution is in the "developers corner" of

http://wiki.freepbx.org/

(oops, not working right now :) )

but once upon a time (like yesterday)

git clone ssh://[email protected]/freepbx/framework.git

then

git tag

and choose your branch for earlier versions if needed , worked for everything but xmpp because it is not there past 14:)

(you will need your public key in their git server first but thats in the above Catch-22 link)

you can get the latest but insupported xmpp from

git clone git://github.com/FreePBX/xmpp

you will also need a working mongod for a webrtc phone and a working mariadb odbc connector for cdr/cel reporting

Last edited:

Tonyclewis

Reaction score
@wardmundy On IncrediblePBX-16-15, the FreePBX backup/restore module does not work at all. It does not allow the assignment of a storage location. The error messages indicate that a module named "filestore" is required to set the storage (and likely retrieval) location. I used the gpl-install-fpbx filestore command to attempt installation, but get XML parse errors. The filestore module appears in the module list but won't load / upgrade. It shows disabled pending upgrade. Attempts to upgrade fail.

I also downloaded the module to my PC, uploaded it as a manual install in FreePBX but I believe FreePBX wants access to its own library.

A basic FreePBX backup does not work because you cannot set a storage location and you cannot restore the backup made in IncrediblepbX13-13-10.
You need to install that module as its required for the backup module in 15. Without it backup and restore wont work

kenn10

Reaction score
You need to install that module as its required for the backup module in 15. Without it backup and restore wont work

I figured that but in the current incarnation of IncrediblePBX, I can't get that to work due to some missing dependencies.. I'm sure @wardmundy will be looking into this.

Reaction score
As a follow up, I was able to successfully execute a restore on FreePBX 15 from a FreePBX 15 backup. So staying on the same version seemed to work.

Now for the issue of trying to restore a FreePBX 14 backup file onto a FreePBX 15 system. Inside the FreePBX 14 backup file are two SQL command files for restoring the database.

Anyway, one of the SQL command files creates a table and gets a syntax error when trying to insert values into the table:
Code:
INSERT INTO `ampusers` VALUES ('admin','xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx','','','',_binary '*');SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 near "'*'": syntax error

Perhaps someone here is a little more versed in SQL/PHP that could advise on the proper syntax...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I figured that but in the current incarnation of IncrediblePBX, I can't get that to work due to some missing dependencies.. I'm sure @wardmundy will be looking into this.

Here is the backup & restore fix for Incredible PBX 16-15 including the filestore module...
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/newbackup16-15.tar.gz
tar zxvf newbackup16-15.tar.gz
rm -f newbackup16-15.tar.gz
./install-backup

kenn10

Reaction score
That did fix the backup/restore and filestore module issues but it won't restore the FreePBX 13 backup file. I could save a FreePBX 15 backup but when I try to restore the FreePBX 13 backup it starts and then while importing the database, it aborts on a comment line of some sort. In the process, it wiped out the CDR file but did not seem to mess up anything else.

Perhaps David Foxworth will have better luck.

dicko

Reaction score
Always good to know what the 'comment line of some sort' might be.

kenn10

Reaction score
Code:
Running with: /usr/sbin/fwconsole backup --restore='/var/spool/asterisk/backup/uploads/20190721-090940-1563714580-13.0.195.28-2142008494.tgz' --transaction='38b9679d-f0d3-4b81-a872-a6460810eb3f'
Determining backup file type...type is legacy
Starting restore job with file: /var/spool/asterisk/backup/uploads/20190721-090940-1563714580-13.0.195.28-2142008494.tgz
Extracting backup...
Backup extracted to /tmp/backup/38b9679d-f0d3-4b81-a872-a6460810eb3f. These files will remain until a new restore is run or until cleaned manually.
Loading manifest to memory
Loading astdb to memory
Parsing out SQL tables. This may take a moment depending on backup size.
Found 2 database files in the backup.
File named: /tmp/backup/38b9679d-f0d3-4b81-a872-a6460810eb3f/mysql-2.sql.gz
Detected file /tmp/backup/38b9679d-f0d3-4b81-a872-a6460810eb3f/mysql-2.sql.gz as the PBX (Asterisk) database. Attempting restore
Extracting supplied database file mysql-2.sql.gz
Loading supplied database file mysql-2.sql
SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 near "COMMENT": syntax error

FreePBX then shows a banner that restore is complete.

dicko

Reaction score
You would need to look at the content of mysql-2.sql and figure it out, you could also post a bug report , but without supportive documentation, you will likely be ignored :)

kenn10

Reaction score
You would need to look at the content of mysql-2.sql and figure it out, you could also post a bug report , but without supportive documentation, you will likely be ignored :)

I gave it the college try. I had already done bulk export and import for my test IncrediblePBX 16-15.1 system. I just wanted to test whether the conversion of a FreePBX backup could be easily made to work. Obviously, it did not. I'll stick with my pedantic but tried and true methods. Those with more interest and patience than I can continue to debug the FreePBX backup/restore module.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@kenn10 I'm wondering if updating backup on the Incredible PBX 13-13 platform might help? Just a thought.

gpl-install-fpbx backup

Reaction score
Hi Kenn10,

I posted the error that I received, and while not the same spot you received an error, it was in the same mysql-2.sql file. The backup/restore works when staying with the same version of FreePBX, but unfortunately it appears to be non-functional if you try different versions of FreePBX. The FreePBX blog indicates they were able to successfully restore using an older version of FreePBX backup file, however, it appears that was probably some specific case.

I bit the bullet and manually entered the configuration information into my fresh install of FreePBX 15. It does look like I can backup/restore as long as it is the same version. Not sure if it would be worthwhile to file a bug report, as I am not sure if backup/restore from different versions of FreePBX is officially supported.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.