FIXED: Nortel 1535 Registration Fails

deoxymono

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been on the lookout for a IP phone, browsing ebay I noticed the Nortel 1535 which seemed pretty eye catching given its price/specs compared to the others. Some googling late and I had found the thread: http://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/nortel-ip-1535-27-95.8273/?t=8273 which gave me the impression that alot of you IP phone masters were also very impressed with the phone for the price. So I went ahead and purchased one.

It came 3 days ago and I was happy and excited un-packaging it getting it setup. It came in the Turkish language... no problem changed that quickly enough, got it hooked up on the network fine, web browser works (although its obviously pretty useless) then went to setup the VOIP... a few hours later still not managed to get anything to register. Frustrated but I thought I'd eventually be able to get it working. Well 3 days and many many hours spent trying in vain to get it working I am at the end of my tether with this thing! :banghead: :banghead: I have never got any further than a 'Registration Failed' message :cryin:

I have followed these instructions to the tee (as well as these here):

1. Choose Settings Icon
2. Scroll and select System Settings
3. Select Admin
4. Select Login
5. press 1234 and press OK soft button. You will be logged in.
6. Select Date and Time and set your date and time
7. Set your Date and Time Format
8. Go to Network Time and set the values you want
9. Go back to System Settings, then select VOIP settings.
10. Select User Information
11. Select Username/Number
12. Enter your SIP2SIP user name. this is 22XXXX a very long number before the @sign. In asterisk, this is your extension number. (Numeric input only)
13. Select Display Name
14 Enter your display name. This is alphanumeric. It uses multi-touch for text entry.
14. Select Authentication Name.
15 Enter Authentication Name. For SIP2SP and asterisk, again this is your user name before the @, or your extension.
THIS FIELD IS ALPHANUMERIC.
16. Select Authentication Password.
17. Enter Authentication Password. For some reason, this is a numeric field only !! So, make your SIP2SIP password numeric.
18. Press the BACK button and select Proxy
19. Select Proxy Address
20. This is a numeric only field. for SIP2SIP.info, the proxy address for proxy.sipthor.net is 81.23.228.129. For asterisk, enter the IP of you asterisk server.
21. Select MISC.
22. Select Domain Name
23. Enter sipsip.info for an account there, or the IP/DNS of your asterisk server.
24. Select BACK
25. Select STUN
26. Select Enable
27. Select STUN Server
28. Enter the IP of your favorite stun server. If you dont know one, use 75.101.138.128 (stun.xten.net)
29. Select BACK
30. Select Registration
25. Select Registration.

As well as trying numerous SIP providers, every method anyone else has posted, and a good deal of trial and error. And yet still never got any further than 'Registration Failed' after trying to register the voip settings. Like I said I can browse the web on it so the connection works, I can ping external IP addresses on the phone, yet cannot get any voip settings to register. I would settle for getting a different error message at least! :mad5:

Phone version: H/W v1.0, S/W v0.2.89
Router: Zoom X6 5590 (latest firmware)
Sip providers I have tried: Sip2Sip.info, SipGate, Callcentric, & a few other I forget

I can setup & use my nokia mobile with the above voip accounts 1st time using my wifi netwrok, and on my PC using 'Phonerlite' software but the ******* 1535 just refuses to register :banghead:

this phone is going to drive me bonkers I am sure... so before I take it outside and vent my frustration with a large hammer, I wondered if anyone on here can help?

Last edited by a moderator:

rentpbx

Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure I can help you. I have the same phone at home and have the same issue when I was starting to set them up. My problem was with NAT setting. There was something like stun and SIP-ping. I would play around with it. I think I end up with the STUN. That is always a good choice for me.

deoxymono

Reaction score
I am not sure I can help you. I have the same phone at home and have the same issue when I was starting to set them up. My problem was with NAT setting. There was something like stun and SIP-ping. I would play around with it. I think I end up with the STUN. That is always a good choice for me.

thanks for the reply, much appreciated

are these settings in your router? I have already been looking for SIP ALG settings which someone on another forum told me to look for (in my router) but I could not find them, nor any mention of them in conjunction with my router in the manual or the internet. So I don't think I have any specific SIP setting in the router. I have the option to turn 'Nat' off or on and that is it.

I have tried in the phone setting using a stun server and not using one but alas that hasn't seemed to make any difference.

rentpbx

Guru
Reaction score
The phone has that setting. It is not in your router. I did not have to reconfigure my NAT router.

I do not quite rememmber exactly that setting in the phone. I hope you can find it. Otherwise, I can try to look at it when I got home.

deoxymono

Reaction score
The phone has that setting. It is not in your router. I did not have to reconfigure my NAT router.

I do not quite rememmber exactly that setting in the phone. I hope you can find it. Otherwise, I can try to look at it when I got home.

Hi rentpbx... yes if you could have a look at your phone and tell me the setting that would be fantastic! :)

I have had a look but cannot seem to find it :( the only NAT setting I can see is 'NAT Timer' which is set at 2.5min (default setting) and the only STUN setting I can find is the one I can find is 'STUN'>'Enable'/'Disable'>STUN server (if enabled is chosen). I have tried both with and without STUN server. I cannot find the SIP-ping setting you mentioned however?

Thank you very much for helping me out with this! :smile5:

rentpbx

Guru
Reaction score
I just got home and check my setting. I think that you can disable that NAT timer. And make sure you have the STUN enable.

I think that should do it. However, my firmware came in English. I do not know whether that make any differences.

deoxymono

Reaction score
I just got home and check my setting. I think that you can disable that NAT timer. And make sure you have the STUN enable.

I think that should do it. However, my firmware came in English. I do not know whether that make any differences.

:party:rentpbx you are a hero! it is now working :D:D

I disabled the NAT timer and hey presto it worked 1st time :)

I had even already begun arrangements to return the phone! Thank you ever so much for your help... could not have done it without you :)

rentpbx

Guru
Reaction score
I am glad it help. It happend to me before. I just tought that my experience can help others. Therefore, by all mean, I am not a hero. I just have walked the path (made the mistake) before before you did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jetest
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.