NEWS FLASH Finally... The $10 Asterisk PBX

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
I bet you can, but I also think Wazo would be a better fit

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
You will need to backup your memory card regularly , if you don't it will break sooner or later and you will need to "dd" it back into a boot-able device

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
hehe I would wholly agree with @briankelly63 , if you have no hardware, then Google will work, if you have a hard-phone then also Google will work as will any number of SIP providers, . It will also have cost way more than $10 bucks, use your PI for whatever to do what it was designed for !! (and doesn't care what the time is ;-) or whether it will go brain dead at some unknown time in the future, (which it will ) )

mbellot

Reaction score
No one I know needs a $10 pbx. If you can't afford something bigger you don't need to call anyone and they certainly don't need to call you. Hahahahahaha

While I tend to agree, I am very happy Ward had an image for the original Pi. When my old PBX took a dump (hardware failure), being able to spin up a basic Pi PBX on the spot was handy and bought me time to scour fleabay for a decent price on replacement hardware instead of being forced into something I didn't really want.

As a daily driver, no thanks (the web UI was utterly painful), but as an option in a pinch it was great.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Think of this as a 10th grade science project. Nothing more. :sorcerer:

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I've never understood all the complaints about the Pi web GUI for PBXinaFlash. Yes, it was dreadfully slow, but I only go into the GUI to add an extension or check something - and how often do I really do that? When I was using it as a test in my home office, it was pretty much set it and forget it.

Having an image available and a Pi on standby gives me a certain sense of well being given the fact that my PC with the Digium card could take a header, though.

If I had lots of users coming in/out, etc. the Pi was never going to be the right tool for the job anyway.

As a 10th grade (more like 7th grade in our over achieving neck of the woods) science experiment, it's great. I've set one up as the PBX and passed to a friend, have one set up for MAME so my 11 year old can see what Dad thought was 'awesome graphics', etc.

Given the price of used PogoPlug Mobiles on ebay, I'm pretty sure the $10 threshold has already been breached.

Andrew

mbellot

Reaction score
I've never understood all the complaints about the Pi web GUI for PBXinaFlash. Yes, it was dreadfully slow, but I only go into the GUI to add an extension or check something - and how often do I really do that? When I was using it as a test in my home office, it was pretty much set it and forget it.

I am usually in the UI daily, checking the CDR, googling unknown numbers that hung up and adding them to the blacklist when appropriate.

Not awful, certainly not pleasant, but 100% awesome that it was an option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.