TIPS FCC RoboCall BlackList

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Not covered in the article, but...

As this is a new project with some growing pains, there may be numbers in the FCC RoboCall Blacklist that you want to remove, e.g. the FedEx Main Number (800-Go-FedEx) is currently in the list. Here's how:

To check whether a number is in the list:
Code:
asterisk -rx "database show blacklist/8004633339"

To delete a number from the list:
Code:
asterisk -rx "database deltree blacklist 8004633339"

P.S. We have written the FCC with some suggestions on how the list could be vetted using Allison and a simple robodialing IVR :idea:

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
For me, the blacklist is working as expected. But when I redirect to sip2sip referenced in the Nerd Vittles article, I never get a response from the sip2sip address. tcpdump shows 6 invites sent, no reply within 30 seconds and the call is dropped. Doesn't matter if iptables is enabled or disabled. Thoughts?

EDIT: this is a server on C@C, so no firewalls in place other than iptables which allows all TCP/UDP for SIP & UDP 10000:20000.

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
Okay does anyone know how the FCC RoboCall BlackList is created? Is there a way to submit a number to the FCC list?

There have been a lot of other websites to achieve similar, like safecaller.com, etc.

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Because of the FCC 'blacklist' (which I like, and want a GB version from Ofcom);
- The telepests are likely changing their DIDs pretty quick after being listed; - They must then grab more new numbers.
- Pretty soon all available DIDs will be on the blacklists.
- Ah well the intercom might work.

jchuby

Reaction score
I just downloaded the script and am getting the 403 errors that the other user was getting.
I then dowloaded the forum linked script, and still got the error

Code:
Processing FCC blacklist...
mv: cannot stat âTelemarketing_RoboCall_Weekly_Data.csvâ: No such file or directory
--2015-12-13 21:54:02--  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/theme_assets/513073/200051444/Telemarketing_RoboCall_Weekly_Data.csv
Resolving consumercomplaints.fcc.gov (consumercomplaints.fcc.gov)... 192.161.148.10
Connecting to consumercomplaints.fcc.gov (consumercomplaints.fcc.gov)|192.161.148.10|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify consumercomplaints.fcc.gov's certificate, issued by â/C=US/O=Entrust, Inc./OU=See www.entrust.net/legal-terms/OU=(c) 2014 Entrust, Inc. - for authorized use only/CN=Entrust Certification Authority - L1Mâ:
  Self-signed certificate encountered.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2015-12-13 21:54:03 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

cat: Telemarketing_RoboCall_Weekly_Data.csv: No such file or directory
Importing blacklist into Asterisk...
Updated database successfully
Done

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
OBSOLETE: Here's a modified version with support for the new underscore (just in case it wasn't a typo)

Attachments

• fcc-blacklist2.tar.gz
    8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

docgreen

Reaction score
I followed Ward's guide here, and now when I go to settings > blacklist, I get an HTTP 500 error. Is the FCC blacklist *supposed* to break the built-in blacklist? If this is normal, what is the proper method to add numbers to the blacklist?

Thanks in advance!

Fairwood136

Reaction score
Does the "blocked" caller functionality work in Wazo? Are there additional steps needed to identify blocked callers?

Is a blocked caller the same thing as an anonymous caller?
(See this post on Caller ID Filtering)

Thanks,
Tom

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fairwood136

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, but...

I'm specifically interested in how Wazo/Xivo knows its a blocked call. I don't want to blacklist those types of callers. I want to process their calls similar to the ideas referenced in this post on Caller ID Filtering).

Thanks,
Tom

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, but...

I'm specifically interested in how Wazo/Xivo knows its a blocked call. I don't want to blacklist those types of callers. I want to process their calls similar to the ideas referenced in this post on Caller ID Filtering).

Thanks,
Tom

Take a look at the [xivo-subrgbl-did] context in /etc/asterisk/extensions_extra.d/cid-superfecta.conf. Whenever a call comes in from a DID, this global context is run. As it's configured with Incredible PBX, Wazo checks the Asterisk database for a matching entry in the blacklist table. If it finds one, it sends the call to byebye. You can change the byebye section of the context to do anything you like. The contexts to actually manage the blacklist can be found in app-blacklist.conf. Blacklist is just a word. How you handle those calls is entirely up to you.

Fairwood136

Reaction score
Okay. Head smack. I was thinking that "blocked" was some sort of reserved keyword covering a class of incoming calls. It's really the condition--> if the caller id number is the value "blocked".

Fairwood136

Reaction score
I really like this blacklist program. I did run into an issue running it on my RasPi, it took forever!! So I created my own little update which is attached. (I have since abandoned my RasPi for a VMWare instance)
  1. First I copied import-fcc-blacklist to import-fcc-blacklist-orig, just in case I screwed up (Actually I did a mv then copied back in order to not change the dates).
  2. I keep a copy of the last blacklist file (blacklist_last) to use to compare the blacklist from last time to the current blacklist. These files are used to compare against each other for adds as well as deletes. I have a safety check that discards any deletions if the record count is over 1000. That number is arbitrary.
  3. Then I update the differences and output the results into a file named /root/fcc/fcc.log
Example Output:
Code:
Sat May 6 14:08:51 CDT 2017 | Found 0 records to delete, 312 records to add
Tue May 9 07:05:37 CDT 2017 | Found 0 records to delete, 511 records to add
Wed May 10 06:59:28 CDT 2017 | Found 0 records to delete, 333 records to add
Fri May 12 09:24:19 CDT 2017 | Found 0 records to delete, 697 records to add

Time Results (time ./import-fcc-blacklist) on a VMWare Server
Code:
                      Original Code                   Modified Code
  real                   6m33.526s                        0m36.260s
  user                   0m9.376s                         0m2.428s
  sys                    0m9.252s                         0m0.384s

My initial load (and any refreshes) utilize import-fcc-blacklist-orig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.