FOOD FOR THOUGHT Fax for Asterisk detection

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If there is a better solution for anybody, we'd be the first to wish them well. The tenor of that message kinda depends on how they've treated others on our forum. It's also been made pretty clear that this has more to do with inherent quirks in analog fax technology over VoIP connections than bugs. You said so yourself.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
FWIW: Set up a virtual machine at Digital Ocean this morning with an old-fashioned Google Voice trunk being fed by a free SIP URI from IPKall. Inbound route for the IPKall trunk terminates in an IVR with a 2-second delay before answering to make Google Voice happy. Also enabled Fax Detection on the IPkall trunk with the FreePBX Inbound Route Settings below. Works flawlessly with existing SpanDSP module from Incredible PBX 11 and Incredible Fax.

BlwrNsuCcAE3dTl.jpg:large

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I successfully upgraded SpanDSP and still had an issue. After running a complete analysis for some of ours that work and others don't came up with some very interesting results. Mainly ... CARRIER dependent. And that doesn't mean which carrier you use - but which upstream carrier. With Level3 - worked every time. With Windstream - it worked maybe 50% of the time. These were both with the same carrier that we bought from.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I successfully upgraded SpanDSP and still had an issue. After running a complete analysis for some of ours that work and others don't came up with some very interesting results. Mainly ... CARRIER dependent. And that doesn't mean which carrier you use - but which upstream carrier. With Level3 - worked every time. With Windstream - it worked maybe 50% of the time. These were both with the same carrier that we bought from.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I will try to figure this out if I can in the future, but I wonder if metaswitch back ends are poorer at this than other TDM interfaces like Cisco/Avaya/Lucent etc.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
That also would explain why IPKall works so well since it is a direct SIP-to-SIP connection between IPKall and your Asterisk server, i.e. no third party carrier at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.